Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
All USA airlines are fine and safe. That is my first concern.
That's a very good point, especially when you see some of those African or Russian airlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 07:15 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
I like Delta and Southwest. My daughter flys UM on Delta frequently and they give her excellent care. I will be flying United for the first time in August. I've never had any issues on American.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:47 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Delta = Doesn’t ever leave the airport
Cute, up all night with that one? Also a ridiculous assertion given Delta is usually the top rated on-time airline in the US.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I want to like Southwest more than I do because they’re at least pleasant when they lie to your face. But when your home airport is one of their outstations, it’s high fares, often hundreds more than the legacies once the WGA fares sell out, inconvenient schedules that involve either buttcheeks of dawn departure tones or arrivals after midnight, and a tendency to delay evening flights to outstations in the name of keeping other heavier traffic routes in schedule.

My preferred airline these days is Delta. Generally good service and service recovery, and they have the best mainline service out of VPS. With United, it’s often an Embraer 135/145 to Houston and I hate how I can’t fully stand up in one of those. American involves flying with the Eagle, usually to the dread E concourse commuter gates in Charlotte.

I have actually learned to stop worrying and love the ATL. Yes, it’s stupidly large but it makes sense and has some pretty decent food options which are accessible to all flyers because of the common airside area. And the McNamara terminal at Detroit Metro is the best large airport in the USA. Delta has the best hubs.

I also like Delta’s ‘20 minutes or 2500 miles’ checked bag guarantee. My household has made 17.5K service recovery miles in the past year for bags in the 21-24 minutes past cabin door opening range

Old 06-07-2018, 10:33 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
I used to fly JetBlue pretty often when they first started out (JFK-BUF) and thought they were great, but eventually their limited network and lack of international partners led me to look at other options when my own travel needs started to expand.

I ended up latching onto Delta, and for the most part I'm pretty happy with the service. They're almost always on time (part of it is schedule padding), the planes are kept in pretty good condition, and as someone on the status hamster wheel, I've always been able to earn qualification miles no matter where I'm traveling to... which leads to upgrades, priority service and waived fees, which are also nice.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:48 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That's a very good point, especially when you see some of those African or Russian airlines.
Yes! My husband could talk about that forever. He is a big aviation guy You almost have to work in the airline industry to really understand how it all works. All the logistics, all the details. But that's just like any job I guess.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 06-07-2018 at 11:14 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 03:42 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
What do you think is the best and worst airline you've flown with in the U.S. ?

I think Delta is pretty good, and not too impressed with American.
Best: Frontier
Worst: United.

American became worse once they merged with US Airways. US Airways, which had horrible customer service and late flights pre-merger, dragged AA down post-merger.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:46 PM

Default Could have happen to any plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Southwest: Their engines explode. :-O
That was an anamoly, although it weirdly happened twice closely timed together. Even so, SW Airlines is actually the best but I didn't rate them as such because of the open seating, first-come first-serve approach which creates a cattle run during boarding. It works well if you luck up and get a seat in an area that you wanted but doesn't when you don't.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:07 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
I haven't had too many issues with Delta. It's probably my preferred though usually I go for the cheapest anyway.
One that might be surprising is Spirit. I've flown them several times and haven't had any issues. Only one plane was a little cramped for me (5'11") but other than that, it's been just fine.
United is usually decent for me.

AA pissed me off on a trip to Miami so I'd rank them near the bottom. Other trips weren't good enough to outweigh it.

My personal worst is Alaska Airlines even though they're often rated highly. But, this was just one trip and I guess I got unlucky. Hour and a half delay leaving Philly for Seattle and then on the return a week later, another delay that was close to an hour and a half. I've never had a delay that long for any other flight and on that trip I had it both legs.

Never flown Southwest but people I know swear by them and do anything they can to take SW.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:34 PM

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredhel View Post
every us airline is awful, each in its own unique way.
lolz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel