Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:36 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
There are a few reasons why we go to US fast food joints in other countries. Taking India as an example

1. There is only so much local food that you can take before it becomes boring and too much.

2. The McDonald's of India are nothing like ones here and the veggie options are delicious.

3. They are clean and hygienic and you don't have to worry as much about the hygiene of the cooks and other food handlers ( relative to local owned joints). They also have AC and Wi-Fi.

4. It is intermediate in price between the cheap hole in wall joints and the expensive five star hotel meals which are too rich and creamy.

6. Even though McDonald's and Pizza Hut might be expensive in Indian currency they are about the same in US$ and hence it does not bother me that I spend so much at a meal as long as I think in USA and not rupees.

I've been to about 45 different countries over the years and not once did I get bored with the local food and yearn for American fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 06:37 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
I confess I do, in fact the wife and I hit the McDonald's up the street about once a week.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:29 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Using India or any number of non-western countries with heavily spiced/sauced cuisines with flavors sometimes challenging in their strength & unfamiliarity.... never mind their heat factor, it's probably just to take a break from this occasionally that is the main factor, cleanliness & aircon is the cherry on top. A cherry & not a durian.

The local cuisine is definitely one of the main attractions in travel for me but I've gotten past the stage of demanding of myself that I eat all local cuisine in country . Case in point was an absolutely knock-out Spaghetti Bolognese I had in an expat area in southern Thailand, the "nonna" from the old country was in the kitchen herself, I remember that meal more than any other meal that trip & coming from NYC I'm not exactly deprived of good Italian food. I ate 90% local on plastic stools on that trip, but I also visited the Japanese, Korean & a few other cuisines if recommended.

I think the occasional McD's can be forgiven if it's only occasional & not habitual.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:55 PM

This happens a lot with Italians. We've stumbled upon Italian joints in some relatively small cities in Asia and Latin America where you wouldn't expect to find good Italian food, but sure enough there is an Italian dude running the place often with a local wife. It's like them and Salvadorans, they have something in their genes that makes them want to open restaurants in other countries.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:18 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Using India or any number of non-western countries with heavily spiced/sauced cuisines with flavors sometimes challenging in their strength & unfamiliarity.... never mind their heat factor, it's probably just to take a break from this occasionally that is the main factor, cleanliness & aircon is the cherry on top. A cherry & not a durian.

The local cuisine is definitely one of the main attractions in travel for me but I've gotten past the stage of demanding of myself that I eat all local cuisine in country . Case in point was an absolutely knock-out Spaghetti Bolognese I had in an expat area in southern Thailand, the "nonna" from the old country was in the kitchen herself, I remember that meal more than any other meal that trip & coming from NYC I'm not exactly deprived of good Italian food. I ate 90% local on plastic stools on that trip, but I also visited the Japanese, Korean & a few other cuisines if recommended.

I think the occasional McD's can be forgiven if it's only occasional & not habitual.
lol, I had the opposite experience. After over 3 weeks in Italy, we were ready for something different and hit up a Chinese restaurant. Italian food is wonderful, but a change of pace was nice.

I do have to confess that I found it very surreal to see Chinese waiters speaking Italians, which I know is provincial of me, they lived in Italy so of course they spoke Italian! But it still seemed funny. I wish I remembered more of the menu, the only thing that stuck with me was ordering "zuppa di wonton"

Old 01-08-2019, 12:49 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
What's sorta interesting is the local spin "Chinese" restaurants put on their food in different countries in order to appeal to locals. I know there is a very specific Indian-Chinese cuisine & there are a few old "Chino-Latino" places here in NYC that if I had to guess are Cuban in origin, most of the long time Latinos here locally were from the islands.

Jamaica has a significant Chinese population too. I remember in one show Bourdain visited a latin country with a very localized version of Chinese food by a family who had been in the country for several generations, perhaps it was Panama? Can't remember. And of course we all know our American version containing Gen Tsao's Chicken, Chow Mein & Chop Suey, etc...

Old 01-14-2019, 04:30 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,624 times
If I visit an American chain overseas, I order the local specialty items that aren't available in the US. Traveling thousands of miles to just get a Big Mac seems like a waste.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Traveling thousands of miles to just get a Big Mac seems like a waste.
But you aren't traveling thousands of miles just to get a Big Mac. You're traveling thousands of miles to see the castle, or the cathedral, or the temple, or the local market, or hike the mountain, or visit the museum, or sit on the beach, or explore the cave, etc.

Eating a Big Mac doesn't stop you from doing any of those things.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
But you aren't traveling thousands of miles just to get a Big Mac. You're traveling thousands of miles to see the castle, or the cathedral, or the temple, or the local market, or hike the mountain, or visit the museum, or sit on the beach, or explore the cave, etc.

Eating a Big Mac doesn't stop you from doing any of those things.
Depends on how many you eat.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:23 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
I don't know if I'd call it the BEST, but I did have to laugh when I encountered McDavid's in Israel. It's basically a kosher knockoff of McDonald's, and I enjoyed being able to eat without worrying about the meat they used... I'm not 100% kosher, but do try to avoid "trayf" meat sources. Now I just want to try a McCurry in India!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel