Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 08:26 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
But you aren't traveling thousands of miles just to get a Big Mac. You're traveling thousands of miles to see the castle, or the cathedral, or the temple, or the local market, or hike the mountain, or visit the museum, or sit on the beach, or explore the cave, etc.

Eating a Big Mac doesn't stop you from doing any of those things.
Very true.

If you're traveling for long enough, sometimes you just want whatever is fast, filling, and cheap! When I visit a foreign country (or U.S. location known for regional foods), I will FIRST try whatever is locally known - but after a few days, you just wanna fill up the "gas tank" and be on your way to the next site. I didn't get sick of Italian food in Italy, however, but we were only there for a few days. Maybe by day 5 or 6 I would have gone looking for something else. But dang; I think I easily gained a few pounds just in the short time I was there. Sooooo good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 10:38 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
But you aren't traveling thousands of miles just to get a Big Mac. You're traveling thousands of miles to see the castle, or the cathedral, or the temple, or the local market, or hike the mountain, or visit the museum, or sit on the beach, or explore the cave, etc.

Agreed.

In Quebec, I would stop at McDonald's to get a Coca-Cola with ice.

In Mexico, I would frequent fast food as it would cut the time I needed for lunch by at least 60% which would reduce the length of the workday.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:43 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
In high school I was a huge devotee of the movie Pulp Fiction, so naturally I wanted to order a "royale with cheese" at a Parisian McDonald's. And Vince Vega (John Travolta) was correct, they did serve beer.

Otherwise, I try to stay away from US chains while traveling overseas and "eat local" instead.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:34 PM

397 posts, read 320,037 times
I've had Burger King in Amsterdam, but I can't recall there being anything special there. I'm interested in trying this again. I think McDonald's tends to have more special items in foreign countries than Burger King.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
The factory I frequent in Thailand brings in 'Tabasco' / chili infused KFC everyday for their western visitors (I stick with the local grub.).

Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
I was in South Africa for two weeks last Spring. The place was absolutely riddled with KFCs, a chain I cannot abide.

When I was in New Zealand for three weeks on a project, my client insisted on eating at a Korean place one night in Queenstown. I'll eat pretty much anything, but Korean to me is like what you'd find at the bottom of a tackle box. So I picked at my food and, after we parted ways one night, I walked down the street to a McDonalds.

I bit into a Big Mac and what did I find? A beet. After I fished it out, I finished my burger. Have to admit it tasted awfully good.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:00 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,624 times
Quote:

Ideally I wouldn't approach a foreign McDonald's at all. But if I visit an American chain overseas, I order the local specialty items that aren't available in the US.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 AM

654 posts, read 632,141 times
I ate at McDonald's in Paris ( I know ) we were there for a week and we needed something affordable other than bread to tide us over from late morning, until 7 pm. It interestingly enough opened at 9:30 AM, but did not serve it's breakfast items, just its normal hamburger menu. The burgers were both different, and a bit better, meatier, but without that normal McDonald's taste you get in the US. I would rate it different, and maybe slightly better, but not exactly classic McDonald's either.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:12 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I ate at McDonald's in Paris ( I know ) we were there for a week and we needed something affordable other than bread to tide us over from late morning, until 7 pm. It interestingly enough opened at 9:30 AM, but did not serve it's breakfast items, just its normal hamburger menu. The burgers were both different, and a bit better, meatier, but without that normal McDonald's taste you get in the US. I would rate it different, and maybe slightly better, but not exactly classic McDonald's either.
The bulk of beef used in McD's in Europe is local from the EC, here is the US it is primarily US sourced. Issues like hormones as well as tariffs figure into this. I think the beef sourced from Ireland is primarily grass fed, not grain, I wonder if this is common to most EU beef too. GMO grains are banned in the EU as well.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
It interestingly enough opened at 9:30 AM, but did not serve it's breakfast items, just its normal hamburger menu
Opposite problem with McDonald's in many parts of Latin America. If you arrive at 11:45 am expecting to eat lunch, forget it. It's breakfast food until noon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel