Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 12:30 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It looks similar to Tokyo Joe's - some different menu items but same general concept.
I looked at the menu of Tokyo Joes because we have one by here.. No thanks! I keep dreaming they will open up a Wok 2 Walk here, they have them in NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 08:24 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
KFC, McDonalds, BK, Pizza Hut, and Subway seem to be the most common. Popeyes shows up in weird places, like Korea. There are Taco Bells in Central America (and Korea), but I've never seen one in Mexico. Dairy Queen is also common.

I'd say my favorite was Whataburger in Guadalajara, Mexico. It's relatively expensive but those burgers are as good as fancier burger places and you can order a beer.
There is a Taco Bell in Cancun. Couldn't believe it.. .why would anyone go to fake Mexican food when the real stuff is soooo good.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:59 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
^^^

There are very few CHEAP options in Israel. I am almost shocked at the prices that some of the food bloggers post on their meals in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
I'm lucky in that I have friends there that I stay with, and the wife is a fantastic cook. But falafel can be good and very cheap. Also, there are schwarma shops where one can get a good schwarma in pita bread for about $10. Beyond schwarma and falafel, it's expensive. This is why I'm happy to be able to get that decent fresh big salat at McDonalds. Wish they had it here! Then again, i wish they also had so many cheap falafel and schwarma places here, too.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
When I was in India I did go to a McDonalds because I was curious about their hamburgers since the cow is a sacred animal there & they use lamb meat instead... so in a way it was regional cuisine.

Also one time in Indonesia I was sweltering in the heat & humidity & had a pounding headache &, passing a McD's, I went in to just sit in aircon in the shade for a spell & have a vanilla milkshake. No regrets...

Old 12-26-2018, 10:31 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
I think a lot of these American FF places weren't opened for the American tourists, but for the locals who want to eat what the Americans are eating. I know that in places like Panama, McDonalds is very popular, especially with the kids, because it is McDonalds.
Also = wifi, air conditioning, and they aren't too aggressive with folks taking tables for really long periods of time. We've been to so many countries where the McDonalds from about 3:00 pm is the realm of kids in school uniforms taking up 80% of the tables. Sometimes they even have book bags parked to take up spots and we never even see the owners of the placeholders despite eating an entire meal.

In Korea McDonalds is an old folks hangout. Lots of senior citizens go and buy and ice cream cone or bottle of water then spend the afternoon socializing. Funny = it's 90% men, and the majority of them are wearing suit and tie.

Quote:
There are very few CHEAP options in Israel. I am almost shocked at the prices that some of the food bloggers post on their meals in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
Yeah Israel was brutal for food costs, you can only go to the cheap falafel places so many times.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:28 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
When overseas, this would be the last thing I would do.
You haven't been to Japan then. They strive to be perfect.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:44 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Jollibee is also in Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, among others, about 37 in the US total. They open up a location in nearly ANY city with a sizable Filipino population. In general, they try to located inside Filipino supermarkets and often pair up with Chowking and/or Red Ribbon Bakeries.

I have to say that they generally do NOT Americanize their foods at this point. So if you do not like the overly sweet spaghetti sauce, don't order it at Jollibee's.

For those who complain that the noise at Jollibee's is too loud, it serves as sort of a community center for the local Filipino community.

Jollibee do have a rather strange mixture on the menu from sweet spaghetti right through to rice and noodles with steak, corned beef and eggs.

However the fried chicken, burgers and other options are fairly good, and they seem to be doing well at Earls Court in London and have already announced further expansion plans.

I also recently read that Jollibee now own all of Smashburger, which means they now have a further international outlet, and are also buying in to a Mexican chain, so they are not putting all their eggs in one basket.

Although the Quick Service Restaurant and Fast Food market remains very competitive in both the US and in other parts of the Western world.

QSR magazine: Quick-Service and Fast Casual Restaurant News

QSRMedia UK | QSR news for UK's quick service restaurant industry

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-27-2018 at 04:20 AM..

Old 12-27-2018, 08:39 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
^^^

My experience with Jollibee is that I really liked the chicken and the burgers were not bad. I did NOT try the spaghetti as I had just polished off a kg of the Del Monte spaghetti sauce from the Philippines and could not take the coying sweetness.

I thought that Chowking was among the WORST fast food Asian restaurants that I have experienced. Everything was grossly overcooked.

The Red Ribbon Bakery was quite excellent.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:12 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
American fast food is taking over the world. The locals love it. We at least should know better. Just stay away.

The worst case of food poisoning I got was after eating a chicken sandwich at a McDonald's in Shanghai (was with a client who wanted to eat there so no choice). I spent a day and night bowing down before the porcelain God after that.

You also see KFC's now everywhere. The old joke when I was in Cairo that KFC stands for "Kentucky Fried Camel".

Old 12-31-2018, 10:02 AM

1,055 posts, read 800,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You eat enough local food enough times and that American fast food feels more exotic.
True dat! I usually like to eat local as much as possible and even in the US I'm not a fan of fast food joints.

However, once I traveled with my wife to a place in the mountains of Taiwan that was a bamboo forest and famous for its local cuisine, almost entirely based around bamboo. For three days we ate dishes with bamboo shoots and other bamboo dishes. Even the rice was steamed in bamboo containers. After three days of eating bamboo everything, when we descended into the local town to catch the train back to Taipei, there was a McDonald's in the train station. Likely the best meal I've ever had at a McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel