Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 11:30 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,860 times

Advertisements

I haven't flown for a VERY long time and I don't know the current procedures. I'm pretty clear on how you take out your electronics for screening, but I need to bring a power bank (a regular-sized one, for a phone) in my carry-on bag, yet I never see any instructions on how those are to be packed in your bag or handled at screening time. Are they considered an electronic device? Do they need to be placed in the bins? Or do they stay in your bag, like a curling iron would?

(I know lithium power banks aren't allowed in checked baggage, I'm talking about carry-on where they are allowed.)

Also, what about your personal bag (like a purse or messenger bag), I assume those are screened as well? Do you empty your purse of these "bin" items at the same time as your carry-on bag? Sorry, I never see any info about this on TSA instruction sites.

I plan to take a messenger bag with me as my personal item, it fits the size guidelines for my airline but I don't know what TSA expects me to do with it.

Also, they don't seem to want you to put your phone in the bin, so what should you do with your phone? Carry it through the passenger scanner with you? I'm a bit confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 11:35 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times
I keep my power bank in my bag.. I just flew a bunch over the last month, they are asking for anything bigger than a cell phone to be taken out.

Your personal bag gets put through an xray machine.

I put my phone in a pocket of my bookbag prior to going through. You can put it in the bin, though. That's not a problem.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:49 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
You only remove personal electronics larger than a cellphone. So basically laptops, tablets, e-readers. Phones can stay in your bag. Power banks stay in your bag.

And keep your bag of toiletries near the top of your bag. They won't always ask for those to be removed. But if they do, you want to be able to get to it easily.

Oh, and do yourself (and everyone in line behind you) a favor and empty your pockets before you get into line. Put keys, coins, etc. in one of your carry ons. Wear shoes that are easy to remove and put back on.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:07 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
And remove your belt.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:42 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And remove your belt.
That one bothers me a bit less. I've seen too many slender guys trying to navigate their bags with one hand while holding up their pants with the other. I can see the necessity of keeping the belt on as long as possible. LOL

Old 03-07-2019, 02:07 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
I have a custom cane/walking stick with brass cobra head. No grandpa cane and no intention of ever getting one. Any problems going thru airport security?

Old 03-07-2019, 02:34 PM

It seems like you can

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/can-...ne-106847.html

Old 03-07-2019, 03:22 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
1. Don't be afraid to ask the TSA to ask what they want you to do. It's better that they think you're confused than if they think you're malicious or intentionally breaking the rules

2. Security standards change all the time and there are some limits to the scanning system you may run into. I actually pay for TSA Pre-Check (shorter less intrusive security line) because I'm at the point where it adds about $4 to the cost of a plane ticket given my travel patterns. Even though I'm a 'Trusted Traveler' I'll still occasionally get sent to have my bag manually inspected for something like a thick book making it hard to see what was in the rest of the bag or they can't figure out what my stash of Clif Bars is.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:28 PM

43 posts, read 28,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You only remove personal electronics larger than a cellphone. So basically laptops, tablets, e-readers. Phones can stay in your bag. Power banks stay in your bag.

And keep your bag of toiletries near the top of your bag. They won't always ask for those to be removed. But if they do, you want to be able to get to it easily.

Oh, and do yourself (and everyone in line behind you) a favor and empty your pockets before you get into line. Put keys, coins, etc. in one of your carry ons.
When you say "bag" or "carry on" I don't know which one you mean. I will have a small carry on suitcase - the thing that gets stowed overhead on the plane- and a messenger bag (ie, my purse, which is my personal item).

Do the carry on bag and the personal item (purse) both go in the TSA bins?

Also, are metal zippers on a coat (just a regular zipper) going to cause a problem? (I assume not, but so many zippers are plastic these days...)

Old 03-07-2019, 04:32 PM

Usually the carry on bag goes on the line and so does the personal bag, but you can put that one in the bin.

You'll have to take off your coat as well and put in a bin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel