Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 01:53 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,260,309 times

Advertisements

1. Airports
2. Having my cc# stolen(happened 3 times so far)
3. Rude,cranky people(which are everywhere of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
-Places charging higher fees for tourists than nationals

That doesn't bother me; my feeling is that in many of these places the locals pay taxes to support them and I don't. In developing countries such as India where the average income is tiny, I'm particularly willing to pay more.

OK, I have plenty of my own but will try to narrow it down to 3:

1. Aggressive vendors and panhandlers.
2. Never knowing if the TSA line will be short and efficient or long enough that I risk missing my flight (so I arrive insanely early).
3. The quiet erosion of "loyalty" programs. I have lifetime Gold on AA and am traveling on a paid Business Class ticket and just found that does not get me complimentary lounge access. The credit card I got less than a year ago that included a 10% "rebate" when you redeem miles has done away with that perk as of 4/30/19.

And, speaking of Item 1, I'm headed for Cabo San Lucas and have been warned through multiple sources that I will have to pass through a room of touts at the airport, offering rides but really spiriting people off to timeshare presentations.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:48 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
1. Everyone with their hand out for a tip. Can't ask the time in some places without a "tip" being expected. People wanting to carry your bags the last 20 feet after you've already lugged them for a hundred yards, for a tip.

2. Aggressive street hawkers and vendors. Can't walk down the sidewalk without being persistently urged to eat there or shop there even after you've repeatedly and politely said no.

3. Flaky hotel wifi. It's not 1998 anymore.

4. Slow check-in at airline/hotel/car reservations. You've already entered all the info online and paid. What could they possibly be doing that requires ten minutes of alternating typing and staring at the screen?

Old 03-15-2019, 09:16 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times
I don't really think anything about traveling annoys me. At places where travelers converge, you have to deal with the brief encounters, but you then just leave them behind. Places that have evolved to lack all the amenities I need can be problematic, but that's my fault, not theirs. They never needed them.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-15-2019 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-15-2019, 11:02 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Sitting in front of a baby on an airplane who constantly cries, and the parents don’t have the sense or courtesy to quiet the child down.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Sitting in front of a baby on an airplane who constantly cries, and the parents don’t have the sense or courtesy to quiet the child down.
Who is more upset, you, or the baby, whose whole routine has been inexplicably disrupted? I'd expect the adult in the equation to be better emotionally equipped to deal with it.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Biggest travel annoyances:

- Having to spend a lot of money just to finance the trip (selling stocks, maxing out credit cards, etc.). When I go on vacation, I like to travel internationally so that means a lot of money for air flights and hotels. Sure it's worth it, but still feels like an annoyance.

- Getting sick either shortly before or during the trip.

- Having to deal with rude and inconsiderate fellow travelers, at the airport, on the plane, at the destination.

- Having delayed or canceled flights.

- Losing your credit/ATM card

- Being victim of a scam or crime

- Rude locals

Old 03-16-2019, 02:07 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Right there with you! People who get into line with a giant chip on their shoulder, 'ready to rumble' if a TSA agent so much as looks sideways at them.
These folks are also the most likely to resort to extreme levels of hyperbole to describe these interactions that millions of other travelers get through just fine.

Lining up like we've been doing since kindergarten becomes herded like cattle.
Having a bag checked is gross violation of civil rights.
Body pat-down which is less than 2% of passengers is TSA molesting/groping people.
Somehow all ticket agents and TSA are mean and nasty.
Somehow every fellow passenger is overweight and smells.
etc.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:08 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
It seems the wait for rental cars has gotten a lot longer than it used to be, not sure why. Thought taking an hour and a half to get a rental was a long wait time two years ago and then it was an hour this year so maybe that's the new 'normal'?

Old 03-16-2019, 02:11 AM

914 posts, read 643,579 times
drivers who gouge you on pricing just because they can

accommodations that turn out to be dirty and disgusting unlike anything you expected

thieves who prey upon tourists (pick pockets, aggressive men, unethical trading)

one bad meal that puts you out of commission for three days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel