Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 09:12 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
I would absolutely love to visit Antarctica because I would give anything to see the penguins but I don't agree with the huge influx of tourism there.
I've been to Antarctica. There is no huge influx of tourism. You'll stay on a cruise ship, take a zodiac to land, where you can see things.

There is no harmful eco impact. People take nothing but pictures, and leave nothing but footprints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 09:14 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Then apparently you will not visit any place in the UNITED STATES, because for most of its history, women could not VOTE.
My long-departed great grandfather used to say:

Quote:
"The mistake we made," referring to women, "wasn't giving them the vote. The mistake we made was teaching them how to talk."

Old 08-11-2019, 12:01 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
........ There's a big Brazilian Steak House opening here in Tucson, and the patrons should be make aware of how that beef came to their plates. ......

A Brazilian steak house in Tucson will be serving beef from the United States, or (a small possibility) from Canada. The USA also imports beef from Mexico but the quality isn't high enough to be served at a steak house. Mostly, it sells as ground beef.

Imported Beef from Uruguay and Brazil is mostly canned or processed or trimmings for burger, not prime steaks. Most if Brazil's beef goes to Asia, not Tucson.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:16 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I don't want to leave the US.

......not have modern HVAC systems, ....... lesser cities will have less English-speaking people and translated signage, as well as lesser infrastructure. .............

If someone wants to spend their tourist dollars inside the USA, more power to them. You can vacation every year in the USA and never see all of it. There are many wonderful places to go. Local American businesses are happy to have your tourist dollars.

I have had no problem anywhere in Western Europe with getting by with only English. Everywhere you go, people speak and understand enough English to point you to a motel, or to the correct train, or to get you a meal in a restaurant. Almost every business will have at least one employee who is fluent in English. Don't forget, the British are huge tourism customers all over Europe and they are accommodated.

The air-conditioning, you might be right about. I was in Denmark and everyone speaks lovely and proper English, but it was hot and humid and only the biggest most prosperous businesses had AC. Power is simply too expensive to spend it on AC.

It usually doesn't get too hot in Scotland and they all speak English there although it might take you a few days to adjust to their lovely accent. Only on Skye are the road signs in a foreign language.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:26 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If someone wants to spend their tourist dollars inside the USA, more power to them. You can vacation every year in the USA and never see all of it. There are many wonderful places to go. Local American businesses are happy to have your tourist dollars.

I have had no problem anywhere in Western Europe with getting by with only English. Everywhere you go, people speak and understand enough English to point you to a motel, or to the correct train, or to get you a meal in a restaurant. Almost every business will have at least one employee who is fluent in English. Don't forget, the British are huge tourism customers all over Europe and they are accommodated.

The air-conditioning, you might be right about. I was in Denmark and everyone speaks lovely and proper English, but it was hot and humid and only the biggest most prosperous businesses had AC. Power is simply too expensive to spend it on AC.

It usually doesn't get too hot in Scotland and they all speak English there although it might take you a few days to adjust to their lovely accent. Only on Skye are the road signs in a foreign language.
I'd like to get some figures for power prices in Europe. Definitely don't need to mirror what they're doing stateside. Here in my part of NC we've been hovering around $0.10/kWh. Depending on the summer day, my A/C might run 8-9 hours, or it might run 12-13 hours. Average bill $150.

Same in winter - heat is by heat pump, rarely if ever do we have to use the aux heat strips but power is so cheap it's wonderful. Linemen are still able to be paid handsomely ($36/hour after their 4th year) with all the overtime they can eat.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:29 PM

Refusing a destination based on morals implies that your visiting would be doing them a favor, and refusing to visit would be depriving them of something

Old 08-11-2019, 04:25 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'd like to get some figures for power prices in Europe. Definitely don't need to mirror what they're doing stateside. Here in my part of NC we've been hovering around $0.10/kWh. Depending on the summer day, my A/C might run 8-9 hours, or it might run 12-13 hours. Average bill $150.

Same in winter - heat is by heat pump, rarely if ever do we have to use the aux heat strips but power is so cheap it's wonderful. Linemen are still able to be paid handsomely ($36/hour after their 4th year) with all the overtime they can eat.
It is about 2-3 times as much. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olds-in-italy/

Keep in mind this is an average cost/kWh. Most of Europe works with demand pricing, so it will be higher in the day and less at night and on weekends. Since most people want HVAC in the day, look at €0.25 or more, probably peaking at about $0.30/kWh.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It is about 2-3 times as much. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olds-in-italy/

Keep in mind this is an average cost/kWh. Most of Europe works with demand pricing, so it will be higher in the day and less at night and on weekends. Since most people want HVAC in the day, look at €0.25 or more, probably peaking at about $0.30/kWh.
Some may call it demand pricing, I just call it gouging. We do not have daily changes in rate. We have the warmer half of the year billed at a "seasonal surcharge" but it is less than 4% difference. Your month-to-month fluctuations would vary such that you wouldn't be able to notice the months it began and ended.

Since it's not exactly practical to pre-chill your house to 50 degrees in anticipation of avoiding HVAC usage during peak times... I call it gouging because they're charging the highest rates when they know their customers will be using the most electricity. With nearly every other type of commodity, you receive a DISCOUNT when you buy in bulk.

Electrical production is wasted, the less capacity is being used at any given time. There isn't a need for demand-based pricing. You're STILL making more money because billing by kWh, you generate more revenue when either 1.) someone uses more electricity over the same duration, or 2.) someone uses the same load over a longer duration, prices staying constant.

It's not "smart", it's not "progressive", it's not "responsible". It's nearly 2020 and this continent (EU) whose nations like to claim they are more advanced than the US are still unable to closely manage humidity and temperature in most buildings. Clammy skin, feeling disgusting, hairstyles deteriorating (Coming back around full circle) THAT is my moral basis for refusing international travel! LOL!

Old 08-11-2019, 04:58 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
You are using the wrong economic model.

There is a finite supply of electricity, as power plants can only generate a fixed amount. If demand outstrips supply, blackouts occur. Thus, increase prices in order to decrease demand. This is exactly why prices increase when people want it most, to encourage people to reduce consumption.

If HVAC is more important to you than anything else, stay home. I think that is a really shallow reason, but you obviously have different priorities.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:13 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"Refusing a destination based on morals implies..."
infers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel