Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 01:45 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times

Advertisements

I usually fly from Tucson to Germany for the warm weather months, May-October to avoid the extreme heat in AZ. I have an inexpensive apartment near Leipzig that I keep on a year-round lease, so I have my own place to stay (i.e. no hotels).

As of now, there are no cases of corona virus in the city where my apartment is, and just a few in the states of Saxony and Saxon-Anhalt (in eastern Germany). I will wait another 4-6 weeks to decide when to buy an airplane ticket. I want to make sure this mess is under control before I buy a ticket and head off to the airport. Airfare prices look to be stable or even falling in the near future, and there won't be any difficulty in booking a flight, even if I buy just a couple of weeks in advance. Yes, wait and see for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 01:52 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't think it's necessarily short sighted. I believe that as of right now, the waiver/exception only applies to tickets booked between March 1 and March 31 for most airlines. So it's not a long-term thing. I would wager they'll take it month to month (i.e. if there's still Covid-19 hysteria on April 1, they may offer the same deal). Because there are no guarantees that the exception will last, people who want to take advantage of the opportunity will have to book now rather than wait. Because if they wait until after March 31, they may not have the same flexibility.

Under normal circumstances, airlines generally use dynamic pricing anyway which tends to hit the early birds harder. Of course, walk up fares and very last minute fares (i.e. week of) are often astronomical. But the normal pricing structure of a fare is typically higher way in advance (6 months to a year out) vs. closer in (one to two months out). The airlines know a lot of travelers want to "play it safe" and book way in advance to avoid potential price increases. So they price fares higher for dates that are far in the future. They typically lower them a month or two out to fill the planes. Then they jack them up in the week or two before the flight.
I have no issue with any of that but you can characterize as ‘short-sighted’ a move that only attempts to mitigate a crash in new reservations instead of temporarily adopting a policy that would ensure the satisfaction of already existing customers. I have upcoming trips with Air France and with Air Canada; the former’s new policy is that all existing reservations can be rebooked for a later date or exchanged for a 1-year voucher without a change fee, while the latter adopted a similar rule to the US legacy airlines which only waives fees on new reservations made after the announcement. My opinion of Air France has become a bit more favorable while my opinion of Air Canada didn’t change (That’s what I expected from them), and in the future I will be more likely to choose AF over AC because of that more favorable opinion if the cost of both options is reasonably close. From a profit-maximizing perspective, I don’t know what’s the best road to take, but I would venture that a good part of the decision is based on somewhat unsubstantiated beliefs and not data.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:57 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
If you are particularly paranoid you might have an opportunity to get a refund for your tickets.

(Not sure...but probably Amex does not allow you to get a refund for any reason).

Personally I would wait and see- unless there is a limited time period for a full refund.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:58 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I would. Lithuania will always be there.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:20 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yup. I received emails from both Delta and United announcing that all ticket fare classes booked after March 1 will incur no change fees for the next 12 months. American is doing the same. Will this last beyond the the current outbreak? we'll see. I doubt it.
That's good on those airlines. Sadly, I bought my tickets about 2.5 weeks too soon, so am not covered by this policy.

Frankly, the high change fee is ridiculous, and Southwest shows that its not necessary.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:36 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I’ve cancelled all of my cancellable hotels. I still have time to rebook if things are under control. AirBnB bookings, I get 50% off before a certain date. I’m waiting for the word quarantine so I can get my full refund and Chase Business ink travel insurance.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:22 PM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
At this point no I wouldn't cancel anything, personally.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's good on those airlines. Sadly, I bought my tickets about 2.5 weeks too soon, so am not covered by this policy.

Frankly, the high change fee is ridiculous, and Southwest shows that its not necessary.
Southwest gets you on repriced tickets. The difference in fares without a change fee if you want to go from a Wanna Get Away ticket to a flight that only has Business Select tickets left can be significantly more than the refacing plus change fee on a Legacy 3 carrier

Old 03-09-2020, 03:50 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Didn't Delta announce today that any flights booked can be changed?

Old 03-09-2020, 04:45 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Didn't Delta announce today that any flights booked can be changed?
Indeed, they just did that — waived fees on all tickets if travel is due in March or April, regardless of when the ticket was purchased. AA and UA haven’t changed their policy since last week’s announcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel