Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 11:05 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times

Advertisements

For US citizens living in state-A, travelling to state-B, what kind of travel medical insurance can you purchase?
Most travel insurance plans require your residence to be outside of the US to get in US emergency med coverage. Or be a US resident, but then they only cover other countries. Normal medical insurance in state-A does not pay hospitals in state-B.
Anyone been on a multi state road trip and bought med travel insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 05:06 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Check if your regular medical insurance covers emergency room visits (in a life or death situation) in other states (not US territories) as some insurance companies will cover that.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:16 AM

5,177 posts, read 3,091,598 times
You can buy domestic travel insurance with medical, dental and air evacuation benefits. Just make sure the coverage offered is primary, IOW it pays first before any other policy is tapped. We bought one of these plans last year for a trip to a remote area of New Mexico where the nearest hospital was two hours away.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:23 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
My health insurance covers me anywhere in the US. All I have to do is go on the website to find an in-network provider. It never even occurred to me that there are policies that don't cover people if they travel within the country. Yikes.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My health insurance covers me anywhere in the US. All I have to do is go on the website to find an in-network provider. It never even occurred to me that there are policies that don't cover people if they travel within the country. Yikes.
And what if the list of network providers (assuming it is accurate, up to date) shows there are none in the location where you need medical care? Insurance companies will happily deny coverage for out of network providers even if the error on the list is their fault.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:45 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
And what if the list of network providers (assuming it is accurate, up to date) shows there are none in the location where you need medical care? Insurance companies will happily deny coverage for out of network providers even if the error on the list is their fault.
It's United Healthcare, which apparently is the largest healthcare provider in the world. I'm not too concerned about none in the location where I need care. Especially since I don't really go anywhere terribly remote.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:54 AM

19,439 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Deny out of network care for an emergency??? I would double check that. And if that's what they do, I'd be changing my insurance policy ASAP!

But you will pay more for an out of network visit.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Deny out of network care for an emergency??? I would double check that. And if that's what they do, I'd be changing my insurance policy ASAP!

But you will pay more for an out of network visit.
Yes, if it’s an emergency ER visit they will pay, buy only an amount they deem appropriate. If the provider is out of network and has no contract with them, it can get ugly because they might want a lot more than the insurance company is willing to pay.

I had a personal experience with this while traveling a couple of years ago. An ER doctor billed $1200 for about 15 minutes of work but my insurance would only offer him $280. He refused to accept their offer and came after me directly with a balance billing. Eventually it was settled months later, but what a hassle.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Medicare covers me everywhere in the US.

Before that I was on Blue Cross - Blue Shield whose network of docs was across the whole country. I had a choice between BCBS and Kaiser at work but I took BCBS for just that reason - it is way more portable.

BTW, this is one argument for Medicare for All, it gets rid of networks and works anywhere. I am not a fan of M4A but it does have some advantages.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Medicare covers me everywhere in the US.

Before that I was on Blue Cross - Blue Shield whose network of docs was across the whole country. I had a choice between BCBS and Kaiser at work but I took BCBS for just that reason - it is way more portable.

BTW, this is one argument for Medicare for All, it gets rid of networks and works anywhere. I am not a fan of M4A but it does have some advantages.
There are doctors who don’t accept Medicare assignment. In an ER situation I don’t know how that would work out for billing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel