Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 11:19 AM

11,050 posts, read 6,639,868 times

Advertisements

Yes, we planned (reservations with down payments) a trip to Europe a year ago, so are still committed to that. In January. Staying in owner vacation rentals so no hotels.

Hope the borders don't close or the airline tickets don't get cancelled.

Life goes on ....with modifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 02:59 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
I have cut down on travel this year but made a few road trips to National Parks and the mountains this summer and have another trip to Grand Canyon planned later this month. Because I am 65 and at moderate risk, I do not feel comfortable visiting a large city. During trips, I take many of the precautions listed in the other posts to include no eating in restaurants and no shopping except for food. Spend most of my time outside or in the car on scenic drives.

Some of the National Park activities that I normally enjoy are closed - museums, visitor centers, ranger programs. And while I am an introvert, constant social distancing and always having it on my mind that people around you might be contagious does get tiresome. But traveling a little was much better than sitting in my house the entire summer which was one of our hottest on record, especially since I expect to stay home most of the winter. Normally I visit out of state family during the holidays but they do not take precautions against COVID so will be home alone this year. But I might try to go to Big Bend or Sedona or similar place in January or February and have a trip to a National Park in California planned for next May.

Old 10-08-2020, 03:47 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
We have already traveled since May. We are traveling in February, May, and September 2021

Old 10-08-2020, 08:38 PM

5,577 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Going to Switzerland in June 2021.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:55 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,791,532 times
I went to Mexico about 6 weeks ago. I'm going to Chicago this weekend. I have booked a flight to Peru for next month, Japan for February and April. The trip to Peru and Japan in April are iffy, but the airlines have flexible rules and the tickets were cheap. I'm more worried about the Japan trip since it looks like they may not open until April.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:24 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
We were going to go to our neighbouring state of Queensland in August and they shut the border again. We were going to go away locally the week after next. But we have been doing what the whole country has been doing this year, planning renovations, and now we are caught up with painters coming and furniture being delivered.

We are booked to go somewhere intrastate for a family 40th birthday in January. But beyond that, we cannot plan as we have all these ridiculous state premiers ( not ours) who are keeping borders closed for political reasons. I live in a local government area of Sydney with 220,000 people and there is not a single active Covid case at the moment. But we are classed as a hotspot along with the rest of Sydney and banned from much of the country.

But I have to say I am not missing travel as much as I would have thought. Fortunately our closest family are all here in Sydney.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:28 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
We went to Smoky Mtns in July for a week, a cabin in the woods and went to Dollywood, which had greatly reduced capacity to the point that the kids could just walk on the rides which was great.

Usually we travel at Thanksgiving but not this year.

We are going to New Orleans in March for my husbands 40th.

Alaska in July with my sister and her family and our family to visit my niece stationed at Fort Wainwright

*Possibly* (in the early planning stages) of going to Boston/Salem for Halloween next year

Trying to make up for the lack of travel this year.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:07 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Would love to, but so far only doing day trips ( not even) . The area we are in has lots so we are fortunate in that regard, so much within an hour or two , but again missing real travel.
Maybe I will look into some planning for second half of 2021 and be hopeful.
I have seen some promotions that do get tempting, saying refundable and all. Maybe I will just go through the motions and not really book anything YET.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:53 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
I might take Amtrak to the West Coast next summer, but it'll be a short trip.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:58 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salonva View Post
I keep thinking about planning a trip almost as a nice focus away from the reality of now. I mean to plan a trip, or at least start to plan one that we would really do down the road.
Then I think that I honestly do not know when that will be, and if things will ever return to a more normal time. I guess we can get used to change but somehow the idea of traveling, wearing masks, being distant, is just not appealing. Then again I guess we get used to anything?
What are your thoughts?
I guess once I get a vaccine I would ok... I just don't know.
Yes, we have planned a motor home trip around Florida (we live in Florida). Figure this is probably just as safe as staying home and going to grocery stores and dinner once a week. Being in Florida we are banned from many states right now so we will enjoy what Florida has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel