Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 05:01 AM

417 posts, read 456,507 times

Advertisements

I keep thinking about planning a trip almost as a nice focus away from the reality of now. I mean to plan a trip, or at least start to plan one that we would really do down the road.
Then I think that I honestly do not know when that will be, and if things will ever return to a more normal time. I guess we can get used to change but somehow the idea of traveling, wearing masks, being distant, is just not appealing. Then again I guess we get used to anything?
What are your thoughts?
I guess once I get a vaccine I would ok... I just don't know.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-28-2020 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Merged 2 thread on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 06:00 AM

43,706 posts, read 44,464,744 times
Depending on the situation, I might travel in December for a small family event. But that definitely remains to be seen!

Old 10-08-2020, 06:49 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,533,205 times
Yep. I'm planning on going to Disney World in early December between Thanksgiving and Christmas when the crowds should be lower. I'm planning on wearing a mask and shield when I fly, and bringing lots of hand sanitizer and my own disinfecting wipes to clean the hotel room. I've been closely monitoring conditions in the parks, and everyone has been reporting that they feel very safe (except for maybe on the weekends when crowd levels are higher ... I'll be there Monday to Wednesday, so I'm not concerned about that). I'll be quarantining for two weeks after I return.

Yes, I'm aware of the risks, and I'm taking all the steps necessary to mitigate them and increase my comfort level. But I've been basically in solitary confinement since March. I need something to plan and look forward to.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:55 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,352,850 times
Well, I've already done two trips (one in July and the other over Labor Day Weekend) since the pandemic started and have 3 more planned between now and the end of the year.

I'm a big National Park Service nerd/fanatic and I'm trying to eventually visit all 421 units, I'm up to 301 now, over the last 18 years. Anyways, I did a weekend road trip up to West Virginia from South Carolina at the end of July to pick up 3 new units there for me. Then for Labor Day Weekend, I flew up to Cleveland (2 short flights each way) to visit Cuyahoga Valley National Park and First Ladies National Historic Site.

Next weekend, I'm flying out to Oklahoma City from Friday to Monday to visit 4 or 5 more NPS units in Oklahoma/panhandle of Texas, that I haven't been to yet.

Then for Thanksgiving week, I'm flying out to Seattle for the week and touring around Western Washington and the Portland/Astoria area, visiting more NPS units that I haven't been to yet. Then from Christmas Eve to January 3rd, I'm going back to PA (2 short flights each way) to be with my family.

So I would say, I'm still traveling and I wear a mask when required and try and do my best to wash my hands and socially distance.

Last edited by cjseliga; 10-08-2020 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-08-2020, 07:55 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,224,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salonva View Post
I keep thinking about planning a trip almost as a nice focus away from the reality of now. I mean to plan a trip, or at least start to plan one that we would really do down the road.
Then I think that I honestly do not know when that will be, and if things will ever return to a more normal time. I guess we can get used to change but somehow the idea of traveling, wearing masks, being distant, is just not appealing. Then again I guess we get used to anything?
What are your thoughts?
I guess once I get a vaccine I would ok... I just don't know.
Yes I'm planning on traveling. We have been traveling, in state, since about June.

I don't know that traveling anywhere is more or less risky than going to the grocery store once per week.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:02 AM

8,499 posts, read 6,908,457 times
Vegas. Going to drive to avoid flying in a Covid threatening aluminum sardine tube. It’s going to be different. No shows, buffets. We’ve pretty much been stuck at home since March. Family reunion in Hawaii planned for late next year.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:29 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,361,975 times
Hoping to go to York for a 2 night stay, the week after next. I've got it all priced, just unsure whether further restrictions are about to be brought in in Northern England. The good thing would be that I could travel there and back by train, without having to go into Greater Manchester, possibly the worst area in England for increasing numbers of Covid cases at present.

I was able to go over to Northern Ireland for a few days at the end of August, and I was really hoping to visit Europe before the end of the year, before the UK leaves the EU, but no chance of that now. Next year? No idea, I don't think it's possible to make even medium-term plans at present.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:20 AM

4,327 posts, read 6,291,687 times
I live in Northern California and have done a couple road trips this summer. These have been within a day's drive and we've stayed at AirBnB or cabin rentals. Both have had lock boxes at the door entrance, so I haven't had to come into contact with anyone to enter the premises. We've also stocked up on groceries so we could avoid contact with people unnecessarily (maybe done a couple curbside pickups for restaurants to balance this out). We've pre-packed lunches or did fast food drive thru for lunches on the road trip and stopped at rest areas to eat/use the restroom, where we didn't need to interact with many folks. All along, we've worn masks, brought tons of wipes and hand sanitizer and socially distanced. During the day, we'd either hang out at our place (one AirBnB rental had a nice private pool), go hiking or the beach in non-crowded areas.

We're looking at doing another road trip during Xmas-New Years to the Palm Springs area, where we can also get another AirBnB rental with a pool/hot tub. We could also do a couple short day hikes from there. We're currently ensuring the homes have very strict cleaning standards before booking.

We may be a little overly cautious, but COVID is dangerous and is likely to get much worse. Personally, I think that those who choose to fly for vacation (unless absolutely necessary) are being irresponsible and are putting their own lives and the lives of others in danger. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do a tropical trip or go to Europe, but I'm going to wait on planning these big vacations until we have the vaccine and the pandemic is under control.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:22 AM

61,825 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Yes. I am planning to travel. Even have tickets. Will do it as soon is allowed.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:32 AM

1,462 posts, read 975,830 times
Yes we are. Currently on an extra long weekend out in Indian Wells/Palm Desert. We drove and wanted to try a quick getaway. We brought plenty of hand sanitizer, masks, isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle and disinfectant wipes. We are looking into flying around Thanksgiving time for a longer trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel