Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 06:59 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I think I will always wear a mask on a plane from now on. I also caught a nasty bug from a sick passenger in the next aisle over and it was bad. Maybe a mask will offer a little protection.
My late husband was 15 years older and had chronic health issues. Every time we went to Europe he came back with a cold that went away but was followed by pneumonia or bronchitis. Once, unfortunately, he must have caught it on the way over because he became sick on the trip and spent an entire day in our hotel room in Zurich. We flew Business Class (he was also over 6' and had a creaky back) but he still got sick.

I think I'll comply with the mask requirements!

Interesting that, among the many moves travel providers have made "for your protection" and "due to COVID", American (and other airlines?) have quit serving alcohol in Coach. The rationale is that people get drunk and disorderly. So... Business Class passengers never do? And people can't just get sloshed in the airport bars first? (In theory you can be denied boarding but I've never seen it happen.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 08:21 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Tasers would be good. I have been traveling by car since the pandemic began. I never go more than 1000 miles and its a easy two day car ride. Its fun to see the country and not be subjected to the TSA nonsense and baggage fees, nationalized ID and all the other things that make flying much less enjoyable now. And now we add to it all the insane angry people everywhere and who might be on my flight. Forget it.
TSA PreCheck/Global Entry make the whole security theater deal so much easier. And at $80 for five years are a pretty marginal increase in price per plane ticket even if you only fly once or twice a year. (I think my credit card covers my next renewal as a benefit too). Bag fees get waived for elite status or with the right credit card.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:36 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
TSA PreCheck/Global Entry make the whole security theater deal so much easier. And at $80 for five years are a pretty marginal increase in price per plane ticket even if you only fly once or twice a year. (I think my credit card covers my next renewal as a benefit too). Bag fees get waived for elite status or with the right credit card.

My travels are very simple to and from rental properties I own. I get in the car put on SiriusXM and don't have to wait in any lines or be told my flight is delayed or sit next to someone morbidly obese or be on a flight where someone needs to pull a Karen. And I don't need to park a car, rent a car or look for my luggage in the baggage claim. I never really enjoyed flying but at times it was a necessity. I am glad its not now.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:34 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
I get in the car put on SiriusXM and don't have to wait in any lines
Yeah man you can avoid that 15 minute wait in line by driving 1,000 miles there and back. That'll show 'em.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:25 PM

557 posts, read 297,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I think I will always wear a mask on a plane from now on. I also caught a nasty bug from a sick passenger in the next aisle over and it was bad. Maybe a mask will offer a little protection.
^^THIS! Viral infections knock the stuffing out of me. This is the 1st year in my whole life that I have not suffered from a serious virus bug and I like it. So I will also be wearing a mask permanently in certain situations. Especially! Any situation where I am exposed to those virus-carrying little rug rats. Every serious infection I have gotten was a gift from a kid

Old 06-12-2021, 05:04 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yeah man you can avoid that 15 minute wait in line by driving 1,000 miles there and back. That'll show 'em.
What travel are you doing that is 1000 miles door to door in 15 min? That is not the tradeoff. I would never count on line being 15 min either.

Anything less than about 500-600 miles is close to a wash on time, up to about 1000-1200 miles is more a tradeoff of time vs cost and convenience.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:12 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My late husband was 15 years older and had chronic health issues. Every time we went to Europe he came back with a cold that went away but was followed by pneumonia or bronchitis. Once, unfortunately, he must have caught it on the way over because he became sick on the trip and spent an entire day in our hotel room in Zurich. We flew Business Class (he was also over 6' and had a creaky back) but he still got sick.

I think I'll comply with the mask requirements!

Interesting that, among the many moves travel providers have made "for your protection" and "due to COVID", American (and other airlines?) have quit serving alcohol in Coach. The rationale is that people get drunk and disorderly. So... Business Class passengers never do? And people can't just get sloshed in the airport bars first? (In theory you can be denied boarding but I've never seen it happen.)
Re airport bars, my kids and their families had their first flights since Covid in January, to Ballina, a very popular destination in the north of our state. Apparently there was an entire tribe of young men headed for a bucks party. Completely excited, quite drunk already and chatting up all the poor young women they could sight. Fortunately it was only a forty minute flight and I think they continued to drink. The time of day? Flight left at 9 30am!

Old 06-12-2021, 05:39 PM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Can also avoid a $1500 7-day rental car bill that way too.

On top of that you're ignoring all of the transit time to the airport, waiting, etc.

Some folks hate driving others don't, 1000 miles I can do in a day but preferably two.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:42 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
I like the drive. I put on SiriusXM put on Howard or Spectrum and I hit the road. I enjoy the entire experience. I don't need to be screened or prove I am not a terrorist or get squished into a small seat (I am a big guy) or deal with flight delays, etc. I have in the past been on endless flights. Some go ok some do not. All my drives have gone just fine.

I am not going to knock you if you like that experience. Everyone should do what works for them.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:17 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
I like the drive. I put on SiriusXM put on Howard or Spectrum and I hit the road. I enjoy the entire experience. I don't need to be screened or prove I am not a terrorist or get squished into a small seat (I am a big guy) or deal with flight delays, etc. I have in the past been on endless flights. Some go ok some do not. All my drives have gone just fine.
I agree 100%. The main reason I hate to fly is the TSA. Then there are all the wonderful things to contend with on the planes: delays, turbulence, flatulence, screaming kids, cramped seating, etc. They say it's better to go first class, but even then you're not guaranteed of being hassle free. With road trips, you have complete freedom to stop & eat anywhere & anytime you want, no restrictions on how much luggage you can carry, and the scenery is much more enjoyable at ground level. Incidentally, all the screening & intrusion the TSA has done with airline passengers has not stopped one single terrorist. I feel safer on the open road anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel