Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2024, 09:56 AM

8,415 posts, read 13,554,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
No, they are not.

If you haven’t traveled in a decade you may not be that familiar with discount airlines and the “basic economy” fares that mainline carriers are now allowed to sell to compete with the discounters.

The basic idea is that these discount fares guarantee you a seat on a flight but not an assigned seat, checked bag, snacks, etc. These can often be sold at rock bottom pricing.
Rock bottom pricing, at least to me, didn't seem like rock bottom pricing or the "rock bottom" change gone up since the last time I have flown.

When you purchase a ticket directly from the airline itself and still get charged for a seat (there was no free seats shown and it seemed a selection had to be made to continue), it does seem quite different than how it was a decade or so ago.

I started to wonder if I'd be charged to use the bathroom. This would be a joke 10 years ago, now it might become a reality because air travel has become a joke.

I understand competitive pricing but it existed way before such changes were implemented, and certain standards like an assigned seat should never be changed. If all airlines are not doing that, it clearly proves my point or, at the very least, hints that my point had some merit.

Quote:
In no circumstance will you be standing or sitting on the ground. You may however not know your seating assignment until you check in.
There is no way for an inexperienced flyer to know this, nor even continue with the online booking with Frontier which I don't think I will ever use to book a flight directly from their site.

Quote:
As a young college student or GI, I probably would have jumped on these types of fares to get back home with just a backpack.
If sitting on the cute flight attendants lap was one of the options, as a younger flyer, I'd have taken my chances at the check-in, too but that is for another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
Tough to beat the SWA $29 deals (occasionally offered, but $49 - $79 is pretty common)

No fee for bags
No fee for changes (except airfare differences)
Ability to rebook *free on any available flight (day of travel)
No expiry on flight credits
(2) 50# free checked bags + (2) carry-ons
Cancel within 10 min of flight and keep credits (they don't expire)
Free seating, pick any seat that's available. If you want a better choice of seats, you can pay $20 - $40 for early boarding.
Free snacks and drinks.\

Not a 'budget airline' (Charge extra for everything, just for the pleasure of flying with them) such as Frontier or Spirit.
I was referred to airline due to such bargain prices. I was told, they had a promotion at the moment that would cost me $50 (it'd have still cost $79 after paying the annual $99 membership fee) but instead, it cost me over $123 with the $19 seat fee. Hardly a bargain at either price point.

If I didn't have to rent a truck to drive back, I'd not have chosen to fly for such a short distance. I admit I rushed for this purchase instead of shopping around a bit which I would have done in the past. I know I could have found something better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 08:41 PM

30,755 posts, read 18,466,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Rock bottom pricing, at least to me, didn't seem like rock bottom pricing or the "rock bottom" change gone up since the last time I have flown.

When you purchase a ticket directly from the airline itself and still get charged for a seat (there was no free seats shown and it seemed a selection had to be made to continue), it does seem quite different than how it was a decade or so ago.

I started to wonder if I'd be charged to use the bathroom. This would be a joke 10 years ago, now it might become a reality because air travel has become a joke.

I understand competitive pricing but it existed way before such changes were implemented, and certain standards like an assigned seat should never be changed. If all airlines are not doing that, it clearly proves my point or, at the very least, hints that my point had some merit.

There is no way for an inexperienced flyer to know this, nor even continue with the online booking with Frontier which I don't think I will ever use to book a flight directly from their site.

If sitting on the cute flight attendants lap was one of the options, as a younger flyer, I'd have taken my chances at the check-in, too but that is for another thread.

I was referred to airline due to such bargain prices. I was told, they had a promotion at the moment that would cost me $50 (it'd have still cost $79 after paying the annual $99 membership fee) but instead, it cost me over $123 with the $19 seat fee. Hardly a bargain at either price point.

If I didn't have to rent a truck to drive back, I'd not have chosen to fly for such a short distance. I admit I rushed for this purchase instead of shopping around a bit which I would have done in the past. I know I could have found something better.
I agree. They can be considerably lower than non-basic economy tickets, but they can also still be significantly more expensive than budget airline ticket prices I've found.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,852 posts, read 58,453,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

Website UPSALE gotcha.
1) you get the seat they have left for you, if you don't pay to select one. (I've always ended up with aisle seats, lucky I guess)

2) to get the lowest / promotional fare... Frontier and Spirit sell you an annual 'purchaser club fee' sometimes with additional perks, but that 'membership' unlocks lower fares. (Worth it if you fly often, and get cheap fares) I.e. I was getting 1200 mile flights to sunshine for $19

3) carry-on baggage is very restrictive on discount carriers. If you plan to take baggage or checked luggage.... Fly SWA (if available)

4) changes and (your) cancellations? You better book SWA (free changes (+airfare difference) free cancellation up to 10 minutes before flight (non-expiring flight credit for next flight).

Use Low Fare Calendar to find dates with lowest cost. Book lowest cost flight, then change to more desirable time (free, if available seats) just after midnight (early on day of departure).

If you want better seat option, (no assigned seats) pay for early boarding before getting to gate ($25-$40). Higher price at gate. Or buy higher (fully refundable) fare. Not cheap!

It's pretty simple, but not always cheapest. Check Google flights for other fares (SWA will not appear, must check separately on their site).

Since I fly every week, and often multiple times/ day, I prefer the flexibility and FREE SWA options. Some fliers are appalled you can't reserve a specific seat, but having free choice gives you the benefit to get up and move (to another open seat) if you are uncomfortable with your seat mate. Plus boarding is much faster. Get+on+and+go!!!. Domestic flights are short, get it over with quickly!.

SWA to Hawaii last month... $87 one-way, guest accompanied for free, everyone on the flight had an entire row to themselves.

Last night, booked 8 future flights (all under $80)

Last weekend booked SWA for $120, when I could have booked Frontier for $113, but.... What if plans change, or conference gets cancelled, or weather is bad for outdoor event, or a better deal comes up, or I get ill (or die) ? (not at all unlikely).... No problem for SWA bookings. Change or cancel it for free (my heirs have my password )

We got stuck overnight in London in June, on UA, (aircraft broken, parts had to be flown in), so... We checked all our upcoming SWA flights and found there was a sale in process. A simple click on existing fare, to rebook same flight at lower fare, saved us $800+ each. Not bad for FREE. (Future flight credits).

A significant benefit on SWA is free checked bags (2x50#, plus carry-on and a personal item (backpack). Since we commute between homes, we bring construction tools, and if not... We bring Salmon, halibut, Brisket, wild Game, smoked turkey... (And even (4) 25# bags of Bob's Red Mill oatmeal (for friends we were visiting) last flight. It All flies free!

Where we headed today?
Gosh, I better check.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:53 AM

18,519 posts, read 15,342,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
You go to Punta Mita yet?
So, I got back yesterday. Loved both resorts for different reasons. I found the Four Seasons to be a lot bigger, with more food choices. It was nice that they had a villa big enough to comfortably fit all 17 of us. We could have never done that at the St Regis. Also the beaches there were less rocky there than at the St Regis.

But the St Regis amazing as well. It was really beautiful and more intimate and private. I liked how the beaches had just one row of chairs/day beds vs 3 or 4 rows at the Four Seasons. Also, the four seasons was so spread out that you needed to take golf carts everywhere. The St Regis has golf cart service too, but it really wasn’t needed. I also like how the St Regis gives you butler service in a regular room. We had it in the villa at the Four Seasons, but I don’t think the regular rooms there had it. It makes a big difference to be able to text someone any time you need something.

Old 02-27-2024, 03:34 PM

22,450 posts, read 29,626,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
So, I got back yesterday. Loved both resorts for different reasons. I found the Four Seasons to be a lot bigger, with more food choices. It was nice that they had a villa big enough to comfortably fit all 17 of us. We could have never done that at the St Regis. Also the beaches there were less rocky there than at the St Regis.

But the St Regis amazing as well. It was really beautiful and more intimate and private. I liked how the beaches had just one row of chairs/day beds vs 3 or 4 rows at the Four Seasons. Also, the four seasons was so spread out that you needed to take golf carts everywhere. The St Regis has golf cart service too, but it really wasn’t needed. I also like how the St Regis gives you butler service in a regular room. We had it in the villa at the Four Seasons, but I don’t think the regular rooms there had it. It makes a big difference to be able to text someone any time you need something.
Thanks for the update!! We never went to FS and have talked about it but the suite we had at St. Regis has just ruined it for me. Definitely would visit FS but would stay at SR specifically in that room. Don't care what it would cost me as first time as free

Old 02-27-2024, 07:48 PM

18,519 posts, read 15,342,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Thanks for the update!! We never went to FS and have talked about it but the suite we had at St. Regis has just ruined it for me. Definitely would visit FS but would stay at SR specifically in that room. Don't care what it would cost me as first time as free
I loved the bathroom at the St Regis. Especially the dual, indoor-outdoor showers.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:03 AM

11,173 posts, read 8,037,325 times
I live in the Provence region in the South of France and I was thinking of coming back to the US to see my folks, but they’re coming here in March for my birthday. My mom, dad, brother, SIL and niece. I am pretty excited about seeing them!

Old 02-29-2024, 12:24 AM

6,756 posts, read 6,789,170 times
My parents are originally from the UK, so I've done a bunch of Londonistan and Northern Europe trips over the last 12 months to see cousins, extended family, and old friends. Wife and I plan to take it a little easier this year by hanging out poolside in Palm Springs and Scottsdale. Also expect to trade 10 hour flights for 30 second zipline rides.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:03 PM

8,415 posts, read 13,554,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Website UPSALE gotcha.
1) you get the seat they have left for you, if you don't pay to select one. (I've always ended up with aisle seats, lucky I guess)

2) to get the lowest / promotional fare... Frontier and Spirit sell you an annual 'purchaser club fee' sometimes with additional perks, but that 'membership' unlocks lower fares. (Worth it if you fly often, and get cheap fares) I.e. I was getting 1200 mile flights to sunshine for $19

3) carry-on baggage is very restrictive on discount carriers. If you plan to take baggage or checked luggage.... Fly SWA (if available)

4) changes and (your) cancellations? You better book SWA (free changes (+airfare difference) free cancellation up to 10 minutes before flight (non-expiring flight credit for next flight).

Use Low Fare Calendar to find dates with lowest cost. Book lowest cost flight, then change to more desirable time (free, if available seats) just after midnight (early on day of departure).

If you want better seat option, (no assigned seats) pay for early boarding before getting to gate ($25-$40). Higher price at gate. Or buy higher (fully refundable) fare. Not cheap!

It's pretty simple, but not always cheapest. Check Google flights for other fares (SWA will not appear, must check separately on their site).

Since I fly every week, and often multiple times/ day, I prefer the flexibility and FREE SWA options. Some fliers are appalled you can't reserve a specific seat, but having free choice gives you the benefit to get up and move (to another open seat) if you are uncomfortable with your seat mate. Plus boarding is much faster. Get+on+and+go!!!. Domestic flights are short, get it over with quickly!.

SWA to Hawaii last month... $87 one-way, guest accompanied for free, everyone on the flight had an entire row to themselves.

Last night, booked 8 future flights (all under $80)

Last weekend booked SWA for $120, when I could have booked Frontier for $113, but.... What if plans change, or conference gets cancelled, or weather is bad for outdoor event, or a better deal comes up, or I get ill (or die) ? (not at all unlikely).... No problem for SWA bookings. Change or cancel it for free (my heirs have my password )

We got stuck overnight in London in June, on UA, (aircraft broken, parts had to be flown in), so... We checked all our upcoming SWA flights and found there was a sale in process. A simple click on existing fare, to rebook same flight at lower fare, saved us $800+ each. Not bad for FREE. (Future flight credits).

A significant benefit on SWA is free checked bags (2x50#, plus carry-on and a personal item (backpack). Since we commute between homes, we bring construction tools, and if not... We bring Salmon, halibut, Brisket, wild Game, smoked turkey... (And even (4) 25# bags of Bob's Red Mill oatmeal (for friends we were visiting) last flight. It All flies free!

Where we headed today?
Gosh, I better check.
Stop bragging, Rabbit! Grrrr!
I have never been lucky with that type of stuff and not having done any flying in over 15 years, I was far from a bargain hunter. Besides, I trusted my sister so it is all on me!
On top of everything my bike broke down and I have been trying to fix it for the last 4+ weeks with very little to no progress. By the time I fixed it, it will probably be too dang hot to ride!

I am already getting cranky due to lack of riding!

Old 03-01-2024, 08:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,852 posts, read 58,453,030 times
Let's clarify your points / questions.
Quote:
Rock bottom pricing
Comes at a cost (usually fees for option, just like any product (surprise). Welcome to life.

Quote:
. When you purchase a ticket directly from the airline itself and still get charged for a seat (there was no free seats shown
You bought a seat, you will get a seat that they assign. If you want a different seat, you have to pay a fee.

Quote:
There is no way for an inexperienced flyer to know this
Read the find print, do an internet search, use common sense. You bought a fare. That includes a seat (of carrier choice) THAT'S required when you sell a fare.

Quote:
. I started to wonder if I'd be charged to use the bathroom
apparently that too is an upcharge on some non-usa carriers

There are ways to avoid fees. (To those who research or listen)

One USA carrier in particular advertise 'NO FEES'. That carrier is very disliked by many.
FAA and FTC assure cry-baby Americans that they have a choice of carriers.

You choose. (Lots of available options)
And you are also free NOT to choose
And the federal government will CYA when you cry foul for reasons outside of your control.

It's truly a picnic for consumers.

Enjoy the 'free' ride. You're very fortunate to have many nannies looking out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel