Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:53 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
If they charge a extra seat for obese passengers, they need to charge double for babies on laps who cry the whole trip!

PULEEEZ! We fly alot since my husband works for the airlines. I haev taken my TWINS on planes since they were 18 mo. old. We have been to the Caribbean with them, Orlando a few times, Buffalo,etc..

I had to sit next to some SOB of a man and his OBNOXIOUS daughter (about 13-old enough to know better).....constantly bumping my arm at least 30 times on the f---in flight. Oh yea, we didn't even take off yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So guess what? The obnoxious father and daughter kept looking out my window (since I had the window seat) and shut it right in their faces as soon as we took off!!!!! I don't get mad. I get even LOL!!!!!!!!!! Priceless to see the looks on their faces. Once we got back on ground, I raised the shade up ---after we landed!
Kids do act up. It is the luck of the draw. We had some flights that sucked. And like someone said, we don't want them to cry and act up! but they do.
You never cried as a kid, right wart? LOL. Spare me. Or these old bitties that look at you and shoot dirty looks because your kid gets a bit riled up....I shoot them right back and say wow, you were never a kid, were you? that usually shuts them up! LOL

PS. The big fat guy snored like a sob too. That was worse than a kid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Kids do act up. It is the luck of the draw. We had some flights that sucked. And like someone said, we don't want them to cry and act up! but they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
You never cried as a kid, right wart? LOL. Spare me. Or these old bitties that look at you and shoot dirty looks because your kid gets a bit riled up....I shoot them right back and say wow, you were never a kid, were you? that usually shuts them up! LOL

We all cried as babies, but my parents never flew with me as a baby. I've had a flight with a rather young baby (no idea how old) and the whole pressure change and the pain in his ears had him crying for a *really* long time. Poor baby - I think this whole flight thing was litterally a nightmare for him.

Worse kid sat behind me and decided that the best thing he can do with his time was kick my seat. I told his mother to please tell him to stop kicking me - either she didn't care or he didn't care. I had a vibrating chair through half the flight. If I started kicking the seat in front of me, I'm pretty sure the airline would care. Why aren't parents of disruptive children get fined? I'm not talking about merely crying, I'm talking about kicking other paying costumers. When did it become understandable and premissible for children to assult other passengers?

As for overwieght - I know someone that has the problem and she usually does whatever she can to get an aisle seat, so it least she's not between two people and doesn't have to move anyone in order to go to the bathroom. But she feels incredibly uncomfurtable in flights. It's not just us who feel uncofurtable to have a stranger sitting waaay too close.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:34 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1JM View Post
Why aren't parents of disruptive children get fined? I'm not talking about merely crying, I'm talking about kicking other paying costumers. When did it become understandable and premissible for children to assult other passengers?
Why aren't people who flaunt the carry-on rules getting fined? Which part of "one carry-on bag and one personal item" don't these responsible adults understand? At least children's misbehavior can be dismissed as an inability to control their urges. Do 75% of the grown-up passengers flying economy class get an irresistible urge to drag everything but the kitchen sink with them inside the cabin? I find it deeply inconsiderate when people take up overhead bin space above other people's seats. I propose a fine: anything you put into an overhead bin above a seat that's not assigned to you, you lose to the passenger in that seat. How does that sound?

And why aren't responsible adults getting fined for being gross? The sight of bare feet with long, yellow toe nails and dirt under them is positively vomitous, and I am not even going to mention smelly bodies and matted hair. When did it become understandable and permissible to induce puking in other paying customers?

And why aren't passengers with beeping medical devices getting fined? Recently, on an red-eye flight, I was seated in front of a passenger with an oxygen concentrator which beeped LOUDLY every couple of minutes for nearly four hours. Needless to say, no one in the cabin slept. If a child cries because he has colic, you would say he needs to stay home. I say the same rule should apply to grown-ups who suffer from a medical condition: if you are dependent on a device that beeps an alarm all the time, stay home. Or hire a private jet.

And why aren't passengers who mess up bathrooms getting fined? How much effort does it take, really, to clean up after oneself? There is nothing like carrying an infant to be changed into a bathroom that looks like a port-a-john flipped upside down -- holding the kid under one arm while using the other hand to hastily wipe away some mature grown-up soul's ****. And why should the parent be fined if the child becomes upset in the process?

And why aren't grow-up passengers being fined for provoking children with deliberate or irresponsible behavior -- such as by bringing aboard a medical device whose constant beeping disrupts their sleep?

I could go on and on about grown-ups' behavior on planes and in airports which I find rude, inconsiderate, or obnoxious. There is no reason to single out children.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:51 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,127 times
I hate when fat people sit next to me.. they usually smell..

Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
As a member of flight crew, I can tell you first hand about problems with overweight passengers, smelly passengers, screaming kids, reclining seats that are upsetting, drunk or druggie passengers, passengers with memory deficit, you name it.

If I could say anything to the traveling public it would be this: Please, PLEASE, use the Golden Rule. If you would be bothered by ANY of your behaviors, please refrain from doing it. If you have kids, please bring entertainment and food with you for them. If you are overweight, I implore you to consider purchasing an additional seat..most of the airlines offer a second seat at 50% off for those who are "oversized". If you havent bathed for a few days, please, I beg you, to take a shower AND change your clothing. If you drink, PLEASE PLEASE do not overdo it. I promise you that if you do, it will lead to problems, either socially or legally or health wise. The seat recline can really invade the seat behind you. Use some common sense here. Also, I know it is tempting, but please do not ask crew to act as your pit bull. We will try to be diplomats for you but really, using common sense is the first step.

I love my passengers, I really do. But this thread and others like it point out some problems that everyone who travels may face eventually. Dont forget, your problems become our problems and honestly, we as crew want nothing more than your comfort and enjoyment.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:20 AM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
I have to say my worst experience is the person in the middle seat. For some reason since they have the worst seat they do think it is their right to hog both arm rests. And usually I am sympathetic cause I know that seat sucks!! That's why I LUV online booking and seat selection. My last flight I forgot to pick my seats until the last minute and ended up with a middle seat, but when I got to the ticket counter I asked for a better seat and got it.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I have to say my worst experience is the person in the middle seat. For some reason since they have the worst seat they do think it is their right to hog both arm rests. And usually I am sympathetic cause I know that seat sucks!! That's why I LUV online booking and seat selection. My last flight I forgot to pick my seats until the last minute and ended up with a middle seat, but when I got to the ticket counter I asked for a better seat and got it.

The person in the middle DOES own both armrests.

This is a very simple concept. Three seats, four armrests. One person gets an armrest, and the aisle. One person gets one armrest, and the window. The middle person gets two armrests. Everybody gets two things, the world is happy.

The people on the ends should lean slightly away from the middle to use their armrests. The middle person should sit straight up using both armrests.

If people don't play nice, I will be forced to remove all of the armrests at work tonight, and then nobody will get one.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:51 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
The person in the middle DOES own both armrests.

This is a very simple concept. Three seats, four armrests. One person gets an armrest, and the aisle. One person gets one armrest, and the window. The middle person gets two armrests. Everybody gets two things, the world is happy.

The people on the ends should lean slightly away from the middle to use their armrests. The middle person should sit straight up using both armrests.

If people don't play nice, I will be forced to remove all of the armrests at work tonight, and then nobody will get one.
Hee hee!! Funny post!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:19 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I have to say my worst experience is the person in the middle seat. For some reason since they have the worst seat they do think it is their right to hog both arm rests. And usually I am sympathetic cause I know that seat sucks!!
It's only the worst seat because of people thinking that the aisle and window seats paid for two arm rests and the person in the middle paid less for none. News flash! The middle seat is the best seat because it gets two arm rests. Some like the aisle and some like the window. Personally, I like having two places to place my arms.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
I used to fly with my kids more when they were younger. They were good flyers, never cried on planes so we got lots of thank yous and such as flights landed.

What annoys me more than anything else are inconsiderate low lifes. The last time we flew, my youngest was 16 months old. We usually sit 2 and 2, but although we got the airport 2 hours early, we could only get 3 seats together... the 4rth was WAY in the back (my MIL bought the tickets online and screwed up the seat assignments). So, one of us was gonna get stuck and the kids... well, let's just say I was worried about the other passengers eardrums. The girl at the ticket counter understood (after I explained it to her). So, she issued the 4rth ticket in my daughter's name and told me to show it to the flight attendants and ask them for assistance. They told me there was nothing they could do, but that my dh or I would HAVE to sit separately. Oh no, I said, the separate seat was issued to my little girl. If they wouldn't/couldn't find someone(s) to trade seats and wouldn't bend the rules that far, then we would refuse to allow my child to sit in a seat not assigned to her.

Long story short, the flight was delayed 10 minutes because none of the other passengers would trade with us (we were offering the aisle seat to the passenger in the middle in her row). About 5 minutes into the delay, all the kids on the flight (there were about 5 others) plus mine started getting antsy, crying, shouting, etc. Then a nice older couple offered to sit separately during the flight, for everyone's peace of mind.

I'm sure that the other passengers felt that the delay was our fault, not the fault of the person sitting next to my daughter. But it wasn't us. It was some guy in a business suit, not willing to trade his 25th row middle seat for my 5th row aisle seat.

Even attractive people, who are not overweight, don't smell and don't have children can be a problem on a flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel