Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times

Advertisements

I was on a flight in Europe a couple of years ago, sitting in the front exit row, which is wider than other seats.

The woman next to me had three kids, two of them under the age of two and an older daughter, for a total of four people--in two seats! The mother had an infant 'in her lap' and her older daughter had the toddler. Because kids under the age of two do not need a purchased seat, they got away with this arrangement.

So there were FIVE of us in three airline seats on an international flight. The kids were not at all bad, but good grief they were kids. Antsy, yammering, wiggling, twirling, baby was crying.

After takeoff and a few minutes of this in-flight daycare center, I asked the flight attendant if there might be an extra seat on the plane I could escape to. She found one for me and I moved.

But what a zoo! Four people in two airline seats? Why do they allow this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I was on a flight in Europe a couple of years ago, sitting in the front exit row, which is wider than other seats.

The woman next to me had three kids, two of them under the age of two and an older daughter, for a total of four people--in two seats! The mother had an infant 'in her lap' and her older daughter had the toddler. Because kids under the age of two do not need a purchased seat, they got away with this arrangement.

So there were FIVE of us in three airline seats on an international flight. The kids were not at all bad, but good grief they were kids. Antsy, yammering, wiggling, twirling, baby was crying.

After takeoff and a few minutes of this in-flight daycare center, I asked the flight attendant if there might be an extra seat on the plane I could escape to. She found one for me and I moved.

I can say I have never ever done that. All airlines allow a child under the age of 2 to not have an assigned seat and the parents can sit w/ them in their lap. I don't like this as it gives ZERO safety at all to the baby. IF there was a crash or really awful turbulence the person can NOT hold onto them to protect them. Some people do it hoping that the seat beside them will remain empty. But many people just do it because they can and saves them the money. I don't like it because it gives ALL OF US less room and it is cramped enough w/o someone sitting on my lap. Even as infants I have ALWAYS purchased my kids a seat AND used their CAR SEAT for them.

I would have done the same thing you would have. Could you have imagined if YOU would have been traveling w/ a baby under the age of 2 in YOUR LAP AS WELL! AGH SIX bodies all on one row that is barely big enough for TWO!

We were on a flight awhile back w/ two of us in one row and the other two behind. There was a young mom w/ her little girl of about 1 1/2 years old traveling that had the seat next to my youngest and husband. My youngest LOVES babies and no matter where we go little babies STARE AT HER and try to talk to her and smile. She is a baby magnet . Needless to say she kept the baby entertained for the mom and helped her. When we got off the plane my husband helped her get her things as the girls and I could get our own and she had her hands full. Once we got to baggage claim she told her husband who was waiting and they both thanked us again.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

Flying overseas is bad enough, but when it is that crowded, that is ridiculous! I can't believe they actually let them do that on a safety basis. We flew from Nashville to Charlotte when my kids were very small for a funeral. The flight attendant made my DH and I separate due to the number of oxygen masks they had for the 2 seats.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
I have two young children who have flown before. They have never cried...thankfully!
It does bother me when kids are crying but a bbay cry is mnuch easier then a toddler scream!! I'll admit.
Parents just need to come loaded with toys and games and food to keep the kids happy.
But after all their are always going to be crying kids. We all just need to deal with it.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I have two young children who have flown before. They have never cried...thankfully!
It does bother me when kids are crying but a bbay cry is mnuch easier then a toddler scream!! I'll admit.
Parents just need to come loaded with toys and games and food to keep the kids happy.
But after all their are always going to be crying kids. We all just need to deal with it.

Riiiight

Why should I pay $1,200 for an airline ticket and spend 10 grueling hours on an international flight only to get stuck with a mother who thinks it's ok to take her young children half way around the world in one airplane seat? Then fill up the leg space with carriers and baby bags while the rest of us suffer miserably with all the crying and running around and poached legroom.

This whole scenario has happened to me more than once. TEN HOURS.

If you want to deal with it, fine. Get a chartered flight. Leave the rest of us in peace.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 PM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times
Bose noise cancellation headphones, and yes, we pay extra for biz class. However, we are not immune from our future leaders, but I cannot stress this strongly enough.... Xanax! Sometimes, ya just gotta deal and if you cannot afford a charter, then recognize it is the same as public transportation, oh, yeah, forgot, that is what it is! If you don't want the drug-mobile, try sleep deprivation the night (or morning) before the flight. It can work for most of the cat-meowing, dog-whimpering, toddler-whining, loud-drunk, et al.

Or you can envision yourself in an exclusive club. Thinking about where you're going, or where you just came from and you and a few people, okay sometimes it is a hundred or so, are in this very exclusive "club" dealing with the same smells, sights, sounds that the club is subjected to. Okay, probably not helpful but since the heightened security, you just CAN'T store those kids in the pet cabin underneath!

Admittedly, when I was 9 months old, dear old Mom had to douse my gums with whiskey to fly me a thousand miles away for an operation. Thanks Mom! and Cheers!

For business, I often opted for the sleep deprivation. Worked for me. For pleasure, well I've already said it.

When we travel with our well-behaved dog, we often get the comment from passengers and crew members alike, "I didn't even know there was a dog in the cabin; so much better behaved than some of the children" - (rude adults can fit in this category, too).

And yes, I'm a parent of a human child, as well. Bon Voyage!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:16 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,561 times
Flying is a luxury and if a kid can't behave they don't deserve to be there.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:33 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
Flying is a luxury and if a kid can't behave they don't deserve to be there.
I disagree, for the most part, flying is a necessity, NOT a luxury!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 PM

77 posts, read 172,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
I disagree, for the most part, flying is a necessity, NOT a luxury!
The childs parent paid the same fair, so they have just as much right as you or I to be on that plane.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:08 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
You know, I have kids and I wouldn't fly with them when they were young because you can't keep them quiet on a flight, they are very mobile creatures and to keep a toddler still for any length of time is nearly impossible. When I would travel, we would do road trips, that way we could stop at our own pace.
I agree that when you have to fly and there is a toddler sitting behind you or even a younger kid it's really annoying with them up and down, crying, whining, kicking your seat, bumping into your seat and yes, the parents oohing and ahhing over their kids and trying to (trying) to sate them.
I think it's great that you want to turn your 2 year old into a jet setter but lets be real here, that kid isn't going to remember that trip. Travel with them when they can enjoy it and know whats going on and will remember it.
No offense meant though, because again, I do have kids and I get it but I can still complain LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel