Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krislati View Post
The childs parent paid the same fair, so they have just as much right as you or I to be on that plane.
Sure, but if I sat and kicked the seat in front of me for the whole flight, or screamed and cried incessantly, they'd kick me off the plane. If you can't keep your kids quiet, don't fly. And I have every right to say this, having had two of my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Sure, but if I sat and kicked the seat in front of me for the whole flight, or screamed and cried incessantly, they'd kick me off the plane. If you can't keep your kids quiet, don't fly. And I have every right to say this, having had two of my own.

ZubZub, I couldn't agree more!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 AM

77 posts, read 172,257 times
I agree, I would never let my child act like a brat on the plane. But for other posters to say, they shouldn't be on the plane, is ridiculous. I have to sit next to the snoring old man, someone talking to me that I don't care to talk to, breathing all over me. I have had grown adults kick my seat, recline back on me while I had a drink on the tray, adults are annoying to. Should they not be allowed on the plane? My point is as long a the child is behave, they will talk of course, I don't see why people would say they don't belong on the plane.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
This thread reminds me of our return flight from Seattle not too long ago.

For the most part, I don't mind kids on the flights, but the parents who do nothing to try to calm or quiet the child will get me going.

We were all boarded ready to go and here comes the last minute boarders...you know the ones that just had to have that last cup of coffee and then blame the crew/airlines for rushing them.

Well this was a woman with two young >>>10 and boy did they control here.

They refused to sit down and be buckled in. Just as two out of the three people got buckled in, the little princess gets up and demands to be shown to the bathroom.
When it was explained to the mother that she needed to get her children settled so we could take off, she actually told the flight attendents not to worry about what her children were doing and to go about their business.

My husband was halfway out of his seat and luckily for her another passenger came over to her and explained, well nicer than my husband would have, that we were tired of her antics and wanted to go home. She needed to get her kids in line before he helped her do it.
Wow!! She did it! We were in the are 5 minutes later and the entire plane clapped. Not another peep was heard out of her or her children.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I just flew to Florida to attend a conference. A short flight to Atlanta, then on the Orlando. Same flights on the return.

First flight - crying baby right behind me. OK, I can deal with it, I know their ears hurt and they cant help it. Good thing the flight is short.
2nd flight- crying babies in front and back of me. OK, they stopped after a few minutes. Once again, I understand about the ears, and they are after all babies.

Return flight this morning - Crying baby behind me again. I got up at 5am to make this flight. While I do get it about babies, this morning it just hurts a little more than usual.

Last flight - 2 little kids right behind me. Toddlers, so maybe they won't cry. WAIT A MINUTE! Dad is giving a second by second description of what the plane is doing during take off, including AND WE ARE OFFFFF!!!!! He then started reading a book to the little guy, IN HIS OUTDOOR VOICE, and read the entire flight.

I tried to think of something I could have said, but figured that I would have just come off as some kind of a**hole. So I turned up my i-pod and tried to read. I could still hear him over the i-pod!

In the luggage area he was YELLING at his wife about the car keys. Maybe he had a head cold and his ears were plugged up. I don't know - but I felt like tossing him our the emergency exit at 20,000 feet.

Get over it. Some day you'll have kids. You'll see...if you don't want to deal with noise, charter yourself a private plane.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I know this thread is a wee bit old but after one of our flights yesterday while I was on it I thought of this thread. We were coming home from our summer vacation w/ kids in tow (14 & 10) and mine have been traveling since they were infants and they KNOW we will bust their rearends if they misbehave. But one of the flights last night...........

Mom and two toddlers right in front of us. The oldest of the 2 is sitting in the window seat (I am sitting in the center between my two kids behind them so I can see everything this kid does). This ALL happens BEFORE we even take off: He kicks the seat in front of him HARD at least 2 dozen times. Unlatches the tray and slams it up and down a few times. Stands up and pulls on the seat in front of him. All of this time mom is totally oblivious to any of his actions or she is just looking at him doing it and doing NOTHING! My kids and myself are like, WTH!!!! My 14 year old is sitting right behind the mom. I leaned over and told her that evertime that kid up there kicks the seat in front of him (where a man was sitting) to kick the mom's seat . She wouldn't dare do it but laughed about me even saying for her to do it. LOL!!! Well, this kid then sits back down in his seat and unlatches the tray again and with his feet pounds it HARD into the back of the seat in front of him at least a couple dozen times. Again, mom just looks over at him and looks away. I mean she CAN hear this and see it. This time the man in front of him stands up and turns around and he was MUCH nicer than I would have been. He looks at the mom and POLITELY asks her to keep him from kicking the seat and even says, "I understand this is hard on him.....". He was WAY TOO NICE to her after all this kid had done and again this was ALL before we even took off. The mom doesn't even say anything to the man but tells the boy to not touch the seat in front of him in a soooo not even "I mean it" way. My husband was sitting across the aisle from us and he even saw the whole thing and kept looking at us in horror. We both said that the first kick would not even have happened if it had been our kids. We both said as well that after 2 hard kicks we would have already have said something to the mother. This man in front of her was WAY TOO POLITE and dealt w/ it way too long before she did anything about it and ONLY after the man said something to her.

This one I 100% blame the parent. The kid doesn't know how to act and it is up to the parents to teach them how to act. This mother was failing all the way around. Thankfully, at our stop/layover they got off and it was much quieter after that family exited the plane. If they had stayed on I was going to go see one of the flight attendants and suggest they put that family in a bulkhead seat.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:00 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times

*Prays for no children close by on her upcoming flight* I dont own an Ipod, and books only go so far.

And I cant stand children noises for very long!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I know this thread is a wee bit old but after one of our flights yesterday while I was on it I thought of this thread. We were coming home from our summer vacation w/ kids in tow (14 & 10) and mine have been traveling since they were infants and they KNOW we will bust their rearends if they misbehave. But one of the flights last night...........

Mom and two toddlers right in front of us. The oldest of the 2 is sitting in the window seat (I am sitting in the center between my two kids behind them so I can see everything this kid does). This ALL happens BEFORE we even take off: He kicks the seat in front of him HARD at least 2 dozen times. Unlatches the tray and slams it up and down a few times. Stands up and pulls on the seat in front of him. All of this time mom is totally oblivious to any of his actions or she is just looking at him doing it and doing NOTHING! My kids and myself are like, WTH!!!! My 14 year old is sitting right behind the mom. I leaned over and told her that evertime that kid up there kicks the seat in front of him (where a man was sitting) to kick the mom's seat . She wouldn't dare do it but laughed about me even saying for her to do it. LOL!!! Well, this kid then sits back down in his seat and unlatches the tray again and with his feet pounds it HARD into the back of the seat in front of him at least a couple dozen times. Again, mom just looks over at him and looks away. I mean she CAN hear this and see it. This time the man in front of him stands up and turns around and he was MUCH nicer than I would have been. He looks at the mom and POLITELY asks her to keep him from kicking the seat and even says, "I understand this is hard on him.....". He was WAY TOO NICE to her after all this kid had done and again this was ALL before we even took off. The mom doesn't even say anything to the man but tells the boy to not touch the seat in front of him in a soooo not even "I mean it" way. My husband was sitting across the aisle from us and he even saw the whole thing and kept looking at us in horror. We both said that the first kick would not even have happened if it had been our kids. We both said as well that after 2 hard kicks we would have already have said something to the mother. This man in front of her was WAY TOO POLITE and dealt w/ it way too long before she did anything about it and ONLY after the man said something to her.

This one I 100% blame the parent. The kid doesn't know how to act and it is up to the parents to teach them how to act. This mother was failing all the way around. Thankfully, at our stop/layover they got off and it was much quieter after that family exited the plane. If they had stayed on I was going to go see one of the flight attendants and suggest they put that family in a bulkhead seat.
Moms are the worst. A combination of burnout, self-righteousness and Mommy-dom.

It was 99.9% parents from the beginning. although as the kid gets older the kid needs to be assigned some % of responsibility, lest he/she become a psycho.

ON a plane, this is really the spot where the stewardess should be trained.

So parenting to blame for rotten kid, but stewardess should protect interest of the paying customer.

Most stewardesses today are absolutely clueless about kids. Need the 50+ year-old veterans. Not just for negative stuff. I have been amazed how they offer no help to new parents (kids have the pressure in the ears) or can think rationally about seatbelt rules for small kids.

S.
P.S. Dad of Three who steps in within 5 nanoseconds of my kids being rude or disrespectful on the flight, especially towards another passenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel