Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Warning to those who plan to go on spring break or vacations to Cancun. There's a drug war in Mexico, you should be concerned about crime and your safety.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Done the AI thing in Cabo before on our first trip. Stayed at the Melia out in the hotel corridor. Now we have a place at the Villa del Arco . Your further from the city than the Villa del Arco but the taxi should run around $7-8 into whatever spot in the city your going to (more if your going further like Romeo & Juliet is sometimes about $10). Yes, there is a public bus system but if your timing is not right you can be standing out on the highway in the HEAT for an hour waiting on it. If your in town waiting on it that is not a big deal but waiting out by the hotels on the highway - yuck. Your not within walking distance of town though - although you could walk to town faster than waiting on the bus . We have even rented a car there and it is not a big deal. TONS of Americans and Canadians actually live a good part of the year down there nowadays so driving is not that big of a deal. You should be able to rent one for the day at your hotel. We have and it was pretty cheap. With only 4 of you and only needing it to drive into town on your own time should be rather inexpensive (get something dinky small). Parking is the only thing but there is some street parking in front of some restaurants and there is a pay lot right by the marina next to a strip center that has a Dairy Queen. Dining in town at most places is actually very reasonable too. Plus, right across the highway from where you will be staying is a Walmart and down the street is a Costco (the city made Walmart pay for ALL road work that needed to be done in the area they wanted to build ).

To get to the marina you will want to take a taxi. There is a mall right there at the marina so you girls can meet up with them once they come in from the boat (you won't want to go shopping at 6am when they leave out ). There are also all kinds of little shops and dining places right on the marina and you can walk around and see some of the HUGE very nice boats. It will be about $7-8 for the taxi ride to the marina.

As for the AI at the resort........ when you first get there almost as soon as you check-in go ahead and make your dinner reservations for the hotel places because that system down there is BROKEN. You will have limited options available even though they rave about these restuarants on site and it will be "full" even though you will walk by and it is half empty ALL THE TIME. There is also so much REALLY GOOD dining available in Cabo that going out to dinner there is something you will want to do. I've had some really great AI food and some really bad and the worst was in Cabo . After eating out there I'm left to wonder how on earth these AI places can not figure out how to do it so much better to even be in the same ballpark.

Oh, the bullfight. We did that one time. It was more fun with the "stupid human tricks" they do w/ people from the audience. They don't kill the bull as it is all for show. You can buy a dining option to eat at the bullring before the fights. It is all local homemade food they serve and if your willing to try new things it can be very good. The two drinks they offer one is a milky looking fruit milk and the other was bright red and was from some flowering plant and was VERY GOOD but sweet. It was kind of expensive though so if anyone is the least bit of a picky eater........ forgo that option if you do want to do the bullfight.

Be sure to spend some time actually IN the city as it is more of what Cabo is and can be a lot of fun. If your into the artsy type of communities then you would be interested in going to San Jose to spend some time. It is more of the local artsy type city while Cabo is more of the fishing village. I feel perfectly safe walking around Cabo by myself.

Glad you got a nonstop flight. WHEW!!! That will make it a LOT BETTER!!!! We have had a few flights where we had to change planes and doing it on international flights is not fun. There are only 6 gates in the Cabo airport so it is not big at all. There are talks to build a new airport that is closer to Cabo San Lucas. The current airport is in San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 01:18 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Thanks!!! The taxi price isn't bad at all..this is my virgin trip so next time I'll be better prepared..was even looking into timeshares & costs because from everything I heard hubbie will want to go back...Costco..I'll be damned...will my card work there ...lol

Oh yeah we will more than likely eat a few dinners out AI is good for breakfast, snacks & drinks

Old 02-27-2009, 03:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Well, if your "into" the timeshare thing and want the free breakfast that will be given and the extra crap they can give out........... then this is THE place to do the "timeshare" tours. We ONLY did it because we had already stayed at the Villa del Arco and LOVED it. Went back and did the tour then ON PURPOSE. Couldn't the first time because we missed our connection on the way down that trip (URGH!!!) and had plans all of our other days. I did see plenty of people that came into the "sales" area after their free breakfast w/ the sales rep that then politely told them, "love the place but no thanks" and they were allowed to leave right then without any bad vibes and hugs from the salesperson and wishes to enjoy the rest of their trip. This was with the Villa Group so I don't know how other places handle that situation. They do have a booth in the "shark tank" at the airport if you really want to visit with them but I don't know what freebies they offer with it except you get the "Gold Card" for doing it (gives you discounts at most of the shops and restaurants in Cabo).

No, the taxis were pretty reasonable. One day it was us two wives and my oldest daughter going into town to shop and there were two ladies waiting for a taxi as well to go to the marina/mall area. We asked them if they wanted to split the fair and so we did. Most of the taxis are minivans so they will hold 9-10 people. With 4 of you going you can always approach another couple or two that are also needing a taxi.

Yeah, the AI is MUCH better for breakfast, lunch and drinks around the pool. Over at the Villa's you can buy a meal/drink plan now that they used to not offer. You have to pay for it when you check in and if you drink a quite a bit it can be well worth it. Even if you only eat 1 meal a day there and all of your drinks it does pay for itself. Before they offered that the girls and I would order "The American Breakfast" from room service and it was PLENTY for the 3 of us to split. Yes, there is a Costco and I do believe your card is good there from what everyone has told me that goes there. We haven't needed to since there is a fairly decent market at the Villas that has everything we need and priced reasonable. Things like: PopTarts, Crackers, Cookies, Granola Bars, Bottled Water, Beer, Dr. Pepper and these mexican cookies that we LOVE.

Oh, another place to eat in Cabo - The Office. It is located on the beach. Your feet are in the sand while your dining Wear your swimsuit if your eating lunch here (you can wear clothes over it) as this is on Medano Beach which is where all of the beach bars and such are and the BIG public beach that is swimmable. You will see PLENTY of the vendors walking up and down the beach hawking their wares (henna tattoo's, jewelry, sarong's, etc). There is also another good place called "The Trailer Park". You have to make sure it is THE ORIGINAL one. The original owners sold the place and have since opened up another and that is the one you want. I think her name is Linda????? But everything advertising it will say it is the ORIGINAL OWNERS of the ORIGINAL Trailer Park.

Just went and looked at the webcam and it is sooo nice and sunny there right now............ wish I were there.
Live Cabo San Lucas Webcams at Villa del Arco Resort

Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
After reading the House report and watching the news, I would not set one toe anywhere in Mexico. If there is not a civil war I will surprised. This will be the second attempt.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
After reading the House report and watching the news, I would not set one toe anywhere in Mexico. If there is not a civil war I will surprised. This will be the second attempt.
The news sensationalizes everything!! There is about 1000 miles of nothingness betweenTJ & Cabo...Cabo is far removed from the drug wars..they are mostly in the border towns of Juarez, Laredo & TJ

Old 03-02-2009, 08:03 AM

Momof2DFW

Wish I had know you here on CD before I booked my trip...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel