Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:38 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,793,116 times

Advertisements

Yeah! I've seen those premium seats available for purchase upon electronic check-in too, but I can't figure out for the life of me why some of them are premium. I wonder what the criteria is. I usually prefer to find exit row seats, or first row behind First Class... there are no seats in front of you so you have more forward space. Those seats are never classified as Premium, which is odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,922,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Yeah! I've seen those premium seats available for purchase upon electronic check-in too, but I can't figure out for the life of me why some of them are premium. I wonder what the criteria is. I usually prefer to find exit row seats, or first row behind First Class... there are no seats in front of you so you have more forward space. Those seats are never classified as Premium, which is odd.
The exit row seats and the first few rows of coach are indeed premium, at least on Delta. They've always unofficially held it open for the elite flyers. Now everything is system controlled. It's for the exact reasons the OP listed - you get off first and some, like exits and bulkhead seats, give a little extra room.

But don't feel bad, they tried to charge us frequent flyer (I'm GM level) for early reserving the premium coach seats as well (they left the middle seats open on the exit rows and front for us to reserve early - gee thanks Delta a middle seat is really premium) - that is until we almost started a riot of complaints to Delta. Then they changed it.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:39 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Oh well...I will inquire upon check in....don't mind paying a bit extra either
Just have to figure out how to book them from the get go for next time

Old 03-04-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
You know what..last year I had to make a last minute trip to Denver and got stuck flying United ( oh the horror) and there was an option to upgrade to one of the seats I preferred the night before when I checked in...hopefully that will be the case with Continental when i check in...

Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,793,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You know what..last year I had to make a last minute trip to Denver and got stuck flying United ( oh the horror) and there was an option to upgrade to one of the seats I preferred the night before when I checked in...hopefully that will be the case with Continental when i check in...
For the best shot, check in 24 hours in advance over the website from home (just print out your boarding passes and head right to security). You'll have first crack at them and they aren't much (I think US Air was charging $5 per premium seat when I checked in last weekend)

Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
For the best shot, check in 24 hours in advance over the website from home (just print out your boarding passes and head right to security). You'll have first crack at them and they aren't much (I think US Air was charging $5 per premium seat when I checked in last weekend)
Cool

Old 07-20-2009, 06:19 AM

111 posts, read 435,728 times
I have sat at the back of an airplane many times and usually deplane quicker than when I'm sitting towards the front. I've noticed that the majority of the people on the planes I've been on will let people go ahead of them and then grab their bags from the overhead compartments, while the people that just put their bag under the seat will be the ones in a hurry to get out.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,758,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3 View Post
I have sat at the back of an airplane many times and usually deplane quicker than when I'm sitting towards the front. I've noticed that the majority of the people on the planes I've been on will let people go ahead of them and then grab their bags from the overhead compartments, while the people that just put their bag under the seat will be the ones in a hurry to get out.
That makes no sense. Planes deplane row by row. Sometimes a few people will let others go by, but in general, its row by row starting at the front. Occasionally I see people push through from the back, but they generally are not well reguarded by anyone.

And here is a tip for seating - take whatever seat you have, then go to the gate agent and request to be moved. Works much better when you are flying by yourself, but I do it a lot when I am stuck at the back on the plane. Last time, it was b/c I had a short (40 min) connection. Gate agent moved me from row 32 to one of the premium seats in the buisness sections (more leg room, still coach, not "buisness class"). No charge for changes at the gate Another time, I dropped my boarding pass at security and went to the gate to have it reprinted. The gate agent asked if I needed a new seat, too. I laughed and said "not unless its my own row." He laughed and said that wasn't possible, moved me up about 5 rows, then reprinted my pass. Just before boarded, he came over, took my boarding pass, and gave me a new one. I get on the plane and I have my own row all the wat to Texas Gate agents are your friend when it comes to seating.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:20 PM

111 posts, read 435,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
That makes no sense. Planes deplane row by row. Sometimes a few people will let others go by, but in general, its row by row starting at the front. Occasionally I see people push through from the back, but they generally are not well reguarded by anyone.

And here is a tip for seating - take whatever seat you have, then go to the gate agent and request to be moved. Works much better when you are flying by yourself, but I do it a lot when I am stuck at the back on the plane. Last time, it was b/c I had a short (40 min) connection. Gate agent moved me from row 32 to one of the premium seats in the buisness sections (more leg room, still coach, not "buisness class"). No charge for changes at the gate Another time, I dropped my boarding pass at security and went to the gate to have it reprinted. The gate agent asked if I needed a new seat, too. I laughed and said "not unless its my own row." He laughed and said that wasn't possible, moved me up about 5 rows, then reprinted my pass. Just before boarded, he came over, took my boarding pass, and gave me a new one. I get on the plane and I have my own row all the wat to Texas Gate agents are your friend when it comes to seating.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't fly all that often, but on the flights I've been on in say the last 5 years, the people in the back have generally gotten off faster than the people in front. I'm sure that it's supposed to be a case of deplaning row by row, but I have yet to see it actually happen.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,912,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3 View Post
I'll be the first to admit that I don't fly all that often, but on the flights I've been on in say the last 5 years, the people in the back have generally gotten off faster than the people in front. I'm sure that it's supposed to be a case of deplaning row by row, but I have yet to see it actually happen.
I've NEVER seen anyone in the back of the plane be able to get up to the front before anyone else. It has always been row by row and only. The only time I've EVER seen anyone let someone behind them go ahead of them is if the person in front has a lot of stuff or several family members and someone right behind them is solo and has their stuff in their hands. Other than that of the umpteen flights I've been on no one in the back is getting off sooner unless they are using the door on the back of the plane as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel