Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:13 PM

547 posts, read 1,434,609 times

Advertisements

You'll be fine. I drive up to Yellowstone National Park every year by myself for a little solo vacation, and I love it. I always drive the speed limit or 5 over, and I can get from Austin to just outside of Colorado in a single day even if I don't get up and leave until a reasonable hour like 9am. I can then get from Denver to Yellowstone by the next night. So only two days to get that entire way.

A good speed to estimate is 50 mph over your whole trip if you'll be mostly on the freeway. This seems a good speed to average to cover bathroom breaks, lunch, etc. I always just pull over in a Wal Mart parking lot in Denver and sleep in the car. They allow people to do that, and they have a security guard that patrols the lot. That plus the lights and I feel pretty safe (bring an eye mask though!).

Best tip I can give you is to bring a laptop with a car adapter and then you can play dvd movies or documentaries (just listen to them) and that really helps the time go by. That, and an iPod that I plug into my stereo. I can listen to all kinds of podcasts and it is really great.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
These are all GREAT responses everyone, i really appreciate these!!

I know some people had asked why I was not going to fly, well, I used to have a job where I traveled lot and flew all the time, and I just hate flying. I hate the whole experience. mostly, I have a fear of heights, but I hate the rest of the experience as well.

Plus - if I flew, I would have to rent a car during my stay in Austin. Not to sound pretentious, but I have a nice car (BMW) and I want to have something nice to drive when I am there...when I went down last November, I rented a convertible Mustang, which was a lot of fun, but it cost A LOT (something like $700 for the week I was there, plus plane ticket). I will be there for close to 2 weeks this time, so having something "nice" or "cool' would cost me a lot more than if I just drove my own car and paid for the gas, mileage, hotel, and oil changes.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post

Best tip I can give you is to bring a laptop with a car adapter and then you can play dvd movies or documentaries (just listen to them) and that really helps the time go by. That, and an iPod that I plug into my stereo. I can listen to all kinds of podcasts and it is really great.

Have fun!
Yes! This is something I was planning on doing - getting a portable DVD player and loading up on some great stuff and the video rental place. I also have an iPod player in my car as well!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:17 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,195 times
I don't have the time to read all of the posts, but when I was 21, I drove from Tampa, FL to Hermosa Beach, CA. It was awesome! I droe every day until I got tired, had lots of time to take in teh sights, think, enjoy music. I would love to do it again- afer the kids are gone, of course!

Old 10-10-2009, 08:38 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Drove one car from Greensboro, NC to Atlanta(330 miles), immediately flew back to G-boro, picked up U-Haul, loaded it(with practically no help), drove back to Atlanta, UNloaded U-Haul(with help from 2 friends), drove U-Haul BACK to G-boro(much cheaper than drop-off in ATL!), walked back to apt. to my OTHER car, drove BACK to ATL, where I put a towel down on the bare mattress and fell asleep!
Impressive! In a day and age infested with so many do-nothing crybabies and whiners, it's good to be reminded how it use to be.

That'll be a good one to use on your kids too when they complain about cleaning up, or walking too far, etc. I got a million of those stories I whip out on the kids when they resist chores or cleanup, and now they just interrupt me in a panic and say "ok, OK! I don't need to hear another one of your stories about when you were a kid... I'll do it".

Steve

Old 10-10-2009, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,055 times
I just came back on a roundtrip drive from Austin TX to Southern California and made each trip in less than 24 hours. It can be done, but I suggest you print out a list of safety rest areas on the roads you're planning on taking. Also, I suggest you leave at a point during the day where you will hit the Texas state border at sunrise so you can drive the legal speed limit on the interstate and rural areas (80mph on the 10-E / 10-W), but remember there are a lot of state troopers and law enforcement. Please make sure you get enough sleep during the days prior to your departure so you're completely rested as it's more of an endurance challenge vs. anything else. I drove the speed limit through each state as there are a lot of speed traps and a speeding ticket isn't worth the hassle. You can find some super cheap hotels on the road for like $35+ if you're pressed for cash or just need to take a quick 4 hour nap and shower, so make sure to pull over if you are not used to making long distance drives regularly.

Grab an ice cooler and pack it up with protein drinks, chocolate, candies and lots of coke and fill that bad boy to the brim with ice. Don't forget to stop by Waffle House on your route whenever you need some cheap grub.

Have fun!

Old 10-10-2009, 02:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
SmartGXL, I share your fear of flying. Not so much a fear of heights as dread of getting stuck in an airplane on the tarmac for hours, which happened to me a couple of years ago. We sat there for four hours. That's not the first time it's happened on a flight I was on, but it was the longest. People began to argue and call each other (insert your choice of expletives) from across the aisles. I was never so glad to get out of a place in my life.
I drive whenever I can these days. We drove from Austin to Seattle this year, and it was a wonderful trip, unforgettable (in a good way this time).

Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 PM

122 posts, read 310,428 times
Drove from Hamilton, Ontario to Copperas Cove, TX in around 2 1/2 days in a U-Haul and just stopped at rest areas for a sleep, gas stations to fill up and a few places to eat and slept in the parking lot of Cracker Barrel and one hotel. In a car, you should do fine.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:48 PM

101 posts, read 383,661 times
I've got to say I love all of your stories of driving a gazillion miles, accompanied or otherwise. There is something inherently romantic, perhaps appealing, definitely American about those long road trips.

Although I hail from the UK, where its 800 miles from the top of Scotland to the tail of Cornwall, I regularly (in my youthful days) used to drive 200 miles from London to Manchester for Saturday soul music allnighters and then drive back straight afterwards, AND be in work at the crack of dawn on Monday. It tickles me that 200 miles is nothing to you guys, but then 200 years is not that old in England. Anyway, I loved those drives, however tiring they might have been.

Driving alone can be a very contemplative and relaxing thing to do. Leave the mobile phone in the boot (trunk), turn up the music, tune in to the local nutter on AM radio, or listen to your thoughts, and you may well regret arriving at your destination. Not that Austin isn't a fabulous place to be heading for.

Safe journey.

Last edited by south side chap; 10-10-2009 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-11-2009, 10:03 AM

105 posts, read 665,623 times
Default Tips from seasoned road warrior:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
I am going to be visiting my brother in Austin for 2 weeks starting next week, but I hate flying, so this time iIam thinking about driving down there from Chicago......

Thanks for any advice or input from anyone who has done this before!
Ahhh, your question brings back fond memories....

I have driven that exact route many times. The first was as a fresh college graduate. I packed my entire life into my Toyota Celica hatchback, left my Mom's house in San Antonio, and went off to find "fame and fortune" in Chicago.

I drove by myself, and planned the exact route you are taking (in reverse). The only diversion available at the time was watching the scenery, searching the static for radio stations in the middle of nowhere, and spending time with my thoughts.

It is a very "doable" drive (Having driven the route many, many times in the 20 years since) I can offer some tips to make it more enjoyable:

1) Pick a place to spend the night, and make a hotel reservation. I know you are anxious to see your brother, and it is tempting to "see how you feel" and push as far as you can go. But, I have spent more than one night driving 100 miles longer than I intended in search of a hotel room--not fun (or safe) when you are already tired.

Think of it as a "mini-vacation"...find an quaint B & B or, perhaps a unique restaurant that the town is known for and really enjoy your few hours off the road.

2) Plan some exercise...whether it's a stroll near the hotel, or a few laps in the pool-- it will help "unkink" your body from sitting all day and you will sleep better!

3) While the other poster's suggestions about playing a DVD in the car is a little frighening (how can you not be tempted to look?), I agree with the concept of taking something to occupy your mind for several hours. Books on tape (or CD or MP3, or whatever) are perfect for this! They are designed to tell a story using only sound, so you don't miss the parts that are told using visual effects in a movie.

4) Take advantage of technology! Take your laptop (an aircard can save lots of $$ on hotel internet fees!) That way you can find great, offbeat local restaurants, walking routes, or a place to buy an umbrella (or whatever) if necessary. Plus, you can watch DVDs in your hotel room...and stay connected with all of us and tell us how it is going!

I travel with my GPS...even if I "know" where I am going. Who knows when I may crave a mango smoothie in the middle of Missouri--or discover than I am only 15 miles from the world's largest ball of twine?

5) Keep your camera handy. You never know when you will find something unbelievable or funny along the way.

I'm still amazed by the ginormous gas station we saw in Arkansas that advertised in HUGE letters that they sold gas AND fireworks AND ammo AND liquor---my friends thought I was making it up, but I have the photos to prove it!

I can totally understand your desire to have your car with you. Aside from the comfort factor, it is much safer to drive in a new area in a car you are familiar with.

Enjoy your trip!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel