Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,725 times

Advertisements

My husband, three kids and myself are moving to the area at the end of May 09. We are looking a home to rent 3-4 bed and 2 bath, fenced backyard. We have no pets. We are willing to pay $1100 per month. Fireplace is a big plus. Need to find a place ASAP. Any suggestions will help.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:40 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,465,316 times
Renting around here is generally a bad deal relative to buying. Unless circumstances rule out buying, I'd reconsider renting for sure--especially given the number of houses on the block for which people would probably take 10-15% less than they're asking.

As far as the short term and needing a place to just be until you buy, I'd check Craigslist.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 AM

38 posts, read 161,375 times
Smile Tri Cities Rental Market

I'm sure you were looking for facts rather than opinions.

"I'd reconsider renting for sure--especially given the number of houses on the block for which people would probably take 10-15% less than they're asking."
I'm not sure if the statement of taking 10-15% less refers to the rentals or sales. It's certainly not the rentals! As to sales, the last 9 week's figures of sales in the sub-$300,000 range have gone under contract within 5% or less under the list price, and the months of supply has shrunk such that we've moved out of the accepted range that determines a buyer's market and into the range indicating a sellers market in many of the price brackets. Of course there's been much more room (the stated 10-15% above) to negotiate on the McMansions that had been built and sit empty in the upper price ranges of $350k and above!

Now to your question regarding rentals.

The fact is the rental market here is very, very competitive. The last quarter's figures for apartment rentals showed a vacancy factor in Richland and Kennewick of of between 1-5% depending on area and number of beds/baths. This has not been unusual here the past 3 years or so.

Housing is just as tight here for the type of home you are describing. I took the liberty of calling the guy here that manages the largest number of private home rentals in the area- Alan Kowalski with Windermere commercial. Depending on the general area of which city you are looking at, finding a 3-4 bedroom in that price range isn't necessarily difficult, but they are grabbed up very, very quickly. This will be even more difficult in the next 3 months or so with new people coming into the area on shorter contracts at Hanford. These people are just now being offered contracts and I am seeing 4-5 singles/couples coming out to open houses each weekend from out of town like Groton, Conneticut, etc (former nuclear subs).

I have no vested interest in the rental market, so I'm not pushing a private agenda here. You can certainly try looking on Craigslist, the newspaper or whatever on your own- you and the dozens of others! But I would highly recommend calling a private property manager like Alan to at least be informed of the conditions of the market. The more informed you are the better. I think you'll find working with a professional will be the way to go with your tight time frame and pretty specific needs in a house.

Cheers!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:22 PM

215 posts, read 878,253 times
The OP wants to rent, for whatever reason(s). So I will respond in that context.

I would suggest looking in West Pasco. Basically the entire place is new within the past 5 years, so your rentals are going to be relatively new construction. It is safe, people are generally friendly, and there are lots and lots of rental homes (many people purchased them new as rentals and others purchased them as starter homes and eventually upgraded and now rent them out.) Schools are good in West Pasco and there is a brand new high school opening this fall, I believe. Plus, West Pasco is central to the entire Tri-Cities and has very easy freeway access.

When we moved to Tri-Cities we started with a rental in West Pasco and it suited us perfectly. I will agree however that the rental market is tight right now and if you think you are going to be here for more than 2 years, I'd suggest buying. This area has held its home values fairly well despite the downturn, and it is probably poised to increase a bit over the next couple of years.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:02 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,247 times
im looking for the same thing except i wont be moving until october.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:14 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,425,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsTKElam View Post
My husband, three kids and myself are moving to the area at the end of May 09. We are looking a home to rent 3-4 bed and 2 bath, fenced backyard. We have no pets. We are willing to pay $1100 per month. Fireplace is a big plus. Need to find a place ASAP. Any suggestions will help.
I believe there are a few homes for lease in the Horn Rapids area,the prices are in the $1100 and up..., but also there may be a HOA quarterly fee that you may pay based on the owners'/ renters agreement....Check out Craigslisting as an option.. Good Luck..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities