Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:09 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

Questions Answered - No Greater Joy Ministries

The above website is the Pearls, Debi and Micheal, the people who write books on raising kids, "Christian". They literally state to go buy plumbing hose to beat kids with! And people buy their child raising books. I saw these folks on tv once, they were creepy scary, all wrapped up in their bible, justifying beating kids...twisting, and completely misinterpreting the bible passages.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Questions Answered - No Greater Joy Ministries

The above website is the Pearls, Debi and Micheal, the people who write books on raising kids, "Christian". They literally state to go buy plumbing hose to beat kids with! And people buy their child raising books. I saw these folks on tv once, they were creepy scary, all wrapped up in their bible, justifying beating kids...twisting, and completely misinterpreting the bible passages.
I agree. reminds me of David Koresh (waco TX), manipulating people with his warped view of religion.

very sick and sad. FL seems to have an extreme amount of cases like this, I used to work for an attorney who dealt with CPS, the cases they had in S Florida were horrible. I couldnt stand hearing about how some people adopt and foster kids to pretend they are homeschooling them, and then they exploit or abuse them. CPS doesnt have enough staff, its prolly impossible for them to keep track, so the children pay the price.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
I watched an interview with the Pearls too and thought they were strange. It appears they have a large following which is scary.

I can't understand how people can become so brainwashed or immersed with some of these leaders. Like that Warren Jeffs in Texas. All of those women are photocopies with the hair, clothes, shoes, just different color dresses.

Followers of preacher Harold Camping quit their jobs, took their children out of school because Camping said the world was going end on May 21st last year. I wonder if any of them even thought after May 21, how foolish they acted.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Warren Jeffs is pure evil. I know someone whose brother works as a psychological "de-programmer" an interesting article here, although really, the extreme cases where people put up with major abuse from the "messiah" or leader is very difficult to understand

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1995-27652-001

Brainwashing mind-control :: psychological, spiritual, mental, emotional abuse :: religious cults and cult deprogramming

Old 02-05-2012, 08:48 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
As with Warren Jeffs, and the FLDS of Colorado City/Hilldale, and their victims, I believe the Stockholm Syndrome comes into play here as well!

I've read books of those that escaped from that madness, and one of the elders in that community has a 38 bedroom house there, up on a hill! Shouldn't that, alone, arouse enough suspicions, and there's no Motel sign outside?

You have the FLDS in the police force there, a child/teen gets raped/molested, it would be an exercise in futility to go to the police there!

Last edited by tijlover; 02-05-2012 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-05-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
As with Warren Jeffs, and the FLDS of Colorado City/Hilldale, and their victims, I believe the Stockholm Syndrome comes into play here as well!

I've read books of those that escaped from that madness, and one of the elders in that community has a 38 bedroom house there, up on a hill! Shouldn't that, alone, arouse enough suspicions, and there's no Motel sign outside?

You have the FLDS in the police force there, a child/teen gets raped/molested, it would be an exercise in futility to go to the police there!
The young children raised in it don't know anything else. That is what is sad. They are brainwashed from birth.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 PM

Have they found Sherry Arnold yet?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I don't think they have found her yet...sadly.

I am really not sure where I am on parents rights, most recently Powell, who blew up his home, with his two sons. The kids were living with their maernal Grandparents, but the judge ordered the children to have supervised visits with their Father.. suspect in the "dissappearance" of their Mom, Susan Powell. Why should he have any rights? Now the kids are dead. It just seems to me our laws are all about "evidence" and "proof"..rather than common sense. Sadly.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Thanks Jasper for starting this Crime Chat thread!! I've been so busy posting free stuff and deals until I'm all behind in my CRIME socialization.

CRIME Scene:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/ZootHouse/dd8ea699.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
I am a True Crime Addict.....period. I watch them all when time permits and I can DVR some. I miss Paul Winfield's voice too. I miss Domenick Dunne too. I haven't watched last night's show about the Powell case yet. I will get around to it but never know when. I wish they would put some new crimes in. I noticed, as soneone else posted, that they just rehash the same old, same old but with just a little different touch on the case. Maybe we will get some new stuff now that a new season seems to be starting.

I think my addiction started when I actually saw people I KNEW on a show back in the early 90's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime