Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Here are the only other two books that have thus far been written about the case "Justice From Within- Serving Time with Gertrude Baniszewski" by Giselle Vellieu (I have yet to read this one)

and "The Basement - Meditations on a Human Sacrifice" by Kate Millet
I had heard about the Kate Millet book...she wrote something to the effect that Baniszewski was inflicting all the past crimes she felt men had done to her, onto that poor girl ...very bizarre, and after I saw that film it was just a horrible feeling that people like that even exist, they have no soul, are capable of anything...sociopaths...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I had heard about the Kate Millet book...she wrote something to the effect that Baniszewski was inflicting all the past crimes she felt men had done to her, onto that poor girl ...very bizarre, and after I saw that film it was just a horrible feeling that people like that even exist, they have no soul, are capable of anything...sociopaths...
The worst thing about it was that Baniszewski was paroled from prison for her crime. I do believe she died of lung cancer and all I can say is that I hope she suffered greatly during her last days!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
I heard about Sylvia Likens when An American Crime showed up in my suggestions box on Netflix. It was there for awhile because I was hesitating to watch it, and I didn't know if it was a true story or not. I finally watched it and it broke my heart, especially when I thought she was finally going to get away and instead...well if you watched the movie, you know. Afterward I read up on her.

I'm extremely bothered by this crime and the fact that the people who did this to her get to go on and live the rest of their lives in polite society with families, jobs and other comforts while Sylvia will never have that and the rest of her family has suffered ever since her murder. It's just sickening if you ask me. That's coming from somebody who has lived in Iowa and am now horrified that any one of my teachers could've been Paula, Stephanie, Johnny, or someone just like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is strange but true that she never was raped. Those people did so many horrific things to this girl, but rape was not among them. In a way it makes the case even more strange.
I think she was raped in a way. Besides being penetrated with a bottle, this girl was violated in very heinous ways. If that's not rape I don't know what is. R.I.P. Sylvia.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:20 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post

I think she was raped in a way. Besides being penetrated with a bottle, this girl was violated in very heinous ways. If that's not rape I don't know what is. R.I.P. Sylvia.
Ditto to that!

Old 08-10-2014, 02:15 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Ditto to that!

Wait, she was penetrated with a bottle? Did John Dean hold out on me when he wrote The Indiana Torture Slaying?

Old 08-12-2014, 03:50 PM

OK, I saw An American Crime last night and I saw the bottle scene. But I remember nothing like that from the book. I strongly hope that was added to the movie for effect.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
OK, I saw An American Crime last night and I saw the bottle scene. But I remember nothing like that from the book. I strongly hope that was added to the movie for effect.
Sad to say, it was not.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Wait, she was penetrated with a bottle? Did John Dean hold out on me when he wrote The Indiana Torture Slaying?
Gertrude made her penetrate herself with the bottle.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Gertrude made her penetrate herself with the bottle.
So if she was smart, she pretended. And Sylvia was supposed to be a smart girl. I cannot believe they paroled that woman.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
So if she was smart, she pretended. And Sylvia was supposed to be a smart girl. I cannot believe they paroled that woman.
Not sure. I thought I read somewhere that they classified her still a virgin (her hymen was intact). Not sure if that's possible if she had shoved a Coke bottle too far inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime