Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 08:09 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,002,106 times

Advertisements

The media has rarely ever used the term "white hispanic" to describe someone, so why now?

Why did New York Times call George Zimmerman 'white Hispanic'?
The national media doesn’t do stories on black-on-black crime. . . . They don’t do stories on black-on-white crime. . . . The New York Times, in almost a caricature of a liberal media, refers to George Zimmerman as a ‘white Hispanic.’ I guarantee you that if George Zimmerman did something good — if he finished first in his high school graduating class when he was younger — they wouldn’t refer to him as a white Hispanic, he’d just be a Hispanic. . . . He’s only a ‘white Hispanic’ because they need the word ‘white’ to further the story line, which is, White, probably racist vigilante shoots an unarmed black kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

As George Zimmerman’s second degree murder trial begins, his father seems to be coming unhinged, writing an odd e-book which maligns African-American leaders as the “true” racists.
It's not maligning if it's true.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,960,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You don't fire a man because he refuses to change law to suit your needs. There is a case for civil litigation and it should cost somebody some big bucks. If GZ is acquitted; it justifies everything that Chief Lee said in the first place. Of course we should not have to wait too long for a decision. Even if GZ would be found guilty; I still think that Chief Lee should go after the city.
If you look at Sanford's history, the shooting of Trayvon Martin was only one of many controversial cases that were brushed aside. Only months earlier, a police lieutenant's son walked out of a bar drunk and, for no reason whatsoever, attacked a homeless man and beat him. This was all caught on video by locals, yet there was no arrest until there was an outcry by residents.

I don't blame Chief Lee and I think the death threats against him are inexcusable. However, sometimes it's best to do what's right for the community. Many people in government have resigned or were fired for a lot less. The City Manager said, "the police chief needs to have the trust and respect of the elected officials and the confidence of the entire community." Sure, it's probably not fair if his hands were tied and he had to follow the letter of the law, but it's not always about what's fair. As a former boss used to tell me all the time, "Fair is only a call in baseball. It doesn't apply to real life." Sometimes change is necessary because of what the people want.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,587,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

It's not maligning if it's true.
I don't doubt there's members with racist views. Labeling an entire group...I'm not buying it.

Robert Zimmerman is angry the caucus got involved and made an arrest, be a different if this were his son.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:15 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,184,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
If you look at Sanford's history, the shooting of Trayvon Martin was only one of many controversial cases that were brushed aside. Only months earlier, a police lieutenant's son walked out of a bar drunk and, for no reason whatsoever, attacked a homeless man and beat him. This was all caught on video by locals, yet there was no arrest until there was an outcry by residents.

I don't blame Chief Lee and I think the death threats against him are inexcusable. However, sometimes it's best to do what's right for the community. Many people in government have resigned or were fired for a lot less. The City Manager said, "the police chief needs to have the trust and respect of the elected officials and the confidence of the entire community." Sure, it's probably not fair if his hands were tied and he had to follow the letter of the law, but it's not always about what's fair. As a former boss used to tell me all the time, "Fair is only a call in baseball. It doesn't apply to real life." Sometimes change is necessary because of what the people want.
We had a local case where we caught a local chief of police red handed with marked coins from the parking meters. His case was tried out-of-county and he was found not guilty. Then he sued and won against our town: Stroudsburg Settled With Pansy For $100,000 - Morning Call

The point is that anybody can sue for any reason and Chief Lee has plenty of good reasons.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,558,024 times
Quote:
bentlebee,

Here is a great article about the political pressure on this case: » Judge In Zimmerman Case Pressured by Obama Administration? Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind! Many thought that it was strange the Judge Nelson went after GZ and his attorneys.
Alex Jones? Really?

Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Did you notice how the Trayvon family and friends came in during the defense closing arguments? Then; did you notice how they left before the second half of the defense closing arguments were over? I can understand that they are upset. But it was almost as if it was a choreographed interruption to the defense closing arguments. They could have just stayed out of the courtroom altogether if they did not want to listen.
If you are ever in their shoes then you can let us know how you did in the courtroom.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,291,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
If you are ever in their shoes then you can let us know how you did in the courtroom.
And if you are ever in GZ's shoes, attacked out of nowhere, on the ground on your back with someone bigger and stronger than you pounding your head into the concrete and breaking your nose, you let us know then if you would use a gun if you had it. I'm thinking you would...

Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
[SIZE=3]"A person is justified in using deadly force if he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself. "

Time to wrap it up jury and let everyone go home
[/SIZE]
They may have a hard time with that.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
That's another false story spread by the extremists on the right. All the government did was check security in case there were was any violence. It's the law, something many groups don't seem to like when it doesn't suit their agendas.

"preventing and resolving racial and ethnic tensions, incidents, and civil disorders, and in restoring racial stability and harmony"

has always been the duty of the Federal Community Relations Service which was established after the 1964 Civil Rights Act was passed.
When they get their news from Alex Jones any thing goes.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I didn't see that since I only got bits and pieces while I was at work and saw later the remainder.

That shouldn't be allowed...either you are there or not, because it can be seen as putting pressure on the jurors.

Jodi Arias family was gracious and they went through way more and longer and their family member was dragged through the mud. Trayvon wasn't but of course everybody feels their own pain and I don't want to minimize what his family is going through, but you have to be fair for the defendant as well.

I wonder if that can be incl. in an appeal if it is done in an very obvious way.

I also wonder why TM family was allowed in the court room while GZ wasn't allowed until they had testified.

TM was a minor and the family can stay or ask someone on their behave. GZ is not a minor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime