Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 02:09 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,120 times

Advertisements

NYPD deployed Skywatch towers and TerraHawk surveillance vehicles to problem neighborhoods. They've assigned extra officers and plain clothes officers to public housing projects as well.

Photo by Pearl Gabel of the NY Daily News
http://citylimits.org/files/2014/10/towers.jpg

Old 02-10-2016, 02:15 PM

5,465 posts, read 5,717,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
NYPD deployed Skywatch towers and TerraHawk surveillance vehicles to problem neighborhoods. They've assigned extra officers and plain clothes officers to public housing projects as well.

Photo by Pearl Gabel of the NY Daily News
http://citylimits.org/files/2014/10/towers.jpg
They also have radiation scanners that flag people who are carrying concealed firearms on the street.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
You are citing old stats. Possession of marijuana in NYC is decriminalized (you just get a $100 ticket, not getting arrested), thus the arrest rate for marijuana related offences dropped by almost half statewide.
You are right about marijuana arrests dropping, but the marijuana arrest rate in NY was the highest in the country as recent as 2013 which is as far back as I've been able to (or bothered to) find arrest rates for weed.

NYC's marijuana decriminalization is something that only went into affect in 2015. My point was not 2015's marijuana arrest stats but the stats over the last decade+ because they've played a larger role in NYC's crime decline over the last 20 years than 2015's marijuana arrests have.

NYC has had an extremely high arrest rate for a long time now relative to the rest of the country. You are more likely to be stopped and arrested in NY than most cities. Things may have changed a little under DeBlasio but he hasn't undone at least 20 years of NYPD being the most aggressive police department in the country.

Quote:
Again you are citing old stats. Who cares what Brownsville was like "back in the day", we are talking about 2016. In 2016 NYC has projects that have lower crime rates than a lot of other cities' averages.
I was comparing the old stats to new stats to put Brownsville's murder rate today into perspective. Despite it still having the highest murder rate in the city, it's still 7 or 8 times safer than it used to be. That's all.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:50 PM

832 posts, read 1,256,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
They also have radiation scanners that flag people who are carrying concealed firearms on the street.
Well, no more need to stop and frisk people... NYPD is getting serious... soon there will be like 0 murder in NYC

Old 02-10-2016, 07:07 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,108,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
As scary as Chicago can be I think Memphis with 27 right now is crazy
That depends on last month stats and previous year. Memphis roughly averages 150+ per year, Record high was 213.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,645,964 times
As of 2/10:

Richmond is at 9 murders for the year. As a raw number, that pales in comparison to the ~27 in Memphis and the ~72 in Chicago. Of course, Richmond is tons smaller than Chicago and the city limits of Richmond are smaller than Memphis (although the metros are roughly the same size). When murder rate is taken into account, though, these three cities, as of right now, have nearly identical murder rates...

Should these cities unfortunately keep their current rates throughout the year, only Memphis would set a record for homicides in the city, while Chicago (~642) and Richmond (~80) would see their highest marks in 10-12 years. So, context says understand that Chicago's rate isn't nearly as bad as its worst years, not even close. It is unfortunate, though, and definitely not normal for the social media age...

Norfolk is currently at 5...

Old 02-11-2016, 08:15 PM

832 posts, read 1,256,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
As of 2/10:

Richmond is at 9 murders for the year. As a raw number, that pales in comparison to the ~27 in Memphis and the ~72 in Chicago. Of course, Richmond is tons smaller than Chicago and the city limits of Richmond are smaller than Memphis (although the metros are roughly the same size). When murder rate is taken into account, though, these three cities, as of right now, have nearly identical murder rates...

Should these cities unfortunately keep their current rates throughout the year, only Memphis would set a record for homicides in the city, while Chicago (~642) and Richmond (~80) would see their highest marks in 10-12 years. So, context says understand that Chicago's rate isn't nearly as bad as its worst years, not even close. It is unfortunate, though, and definitely not normal for the social media age...

Norfolk is currently at 5...
Which Richmond,VA or CA?I would assume it'sVA

Old 02-11-2016, 09:38 PM

DC at 10 down from 11. Roughly equivalent to last year so far. DC still rose 54% to 162 homicides last year compared to 2014's 105 homicides.

"Sex abuse" is up 106%
Robbery is up 28%
Assault w/ dangerous weapon is up 1%

The homicide closure rate rose to a peak of 95% in 2011 and has been dropping quickly since.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:47 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,338,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
You are right about marijuana arrests dropping, but the marijuana arrest rate in NY was the highest in the country as recent as 2013 which is as far back as I've been able to (or bothered to) find arrest rates for weed.

NYC's marijuana decriminalization is something that only went into affect in 2015. My point was not 2015's marijuana arrest stats but the stats over the last decade+ because they've played a larger role in NYC's crime decline over the last 20 years than 2015's marijuana arrests have.

NYC has had an extremely high arrest rate for a long time now relative to the rest of the country. You are more likely to be stopped and arrested in NY than most cities. Things may have changed a little under DeBlasio but he hasn't undone at least 20 years of NYPD being the most aggressive police department in the country.

I was comparing the old stats to new stats to put Brownsville's murder rate today into perspective. Despite it still having the highest murder rate in the city, it's still 7 or 8 times safer than it used to be. That's all.
Yeah they were really strict. One time cops stopped me and my friend cuz they thought we were smoking weed (We were smoking cuban cigars) but I just gave them my ID and they checked it to make sure I was of legal age and let me go

Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,664,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
What's all this NYC bashing about ?

The city is locked down by government and has become a police state, NYC in the 90s was a complete monster.I dont think Chicago is advanced or has money like New York to fight off the crime like that.Places like Brooklyn & Harlem are still dangerous but just going through gentrification like crazy and like i said there's police literally everywhere.

To think about it DC and New York have to be the most policed cities in America. I know DC is the highest per person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime