Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 09:27 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,612,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Missing northern California mother Sherri Papini found safe - CNN.com

"Authorities are now looking for two women in a dark SUV in connection with the case, the sheriff added. They reportedly are armed. There is no known motive in the case, authorities said Thursday."

I don't think human trafficking is likely, usually children/teenagers would be abducted, not a 34 year old woman.

This is a very strange case, with no known motive. Why would two women do the abduction? Usually men would do a kidnapping.

Maybe we will find out more today.
Some are male/female teams.

They may have thought she was younger. She looks young, and she was wearing a jogging outfit. Maybe they were trying to find someone who wanted to buy her, but once they all realized she was older with kids, they didn't know what to do with her? Just one guess.

Very strange. I'm just glad she's okay. I don't she would have voluntarily left, since she left her kids in daycare/school and didn't pick them up, and her friend said she was a devoted mom.

The husband seems normal in the way he talks and acts. I remember that Scott Peterson just oozed smarmy, so everyone was suspicious of him from the start.

Still.....the husband? Why? Strange.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:43 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,481,891 times
I agree with other posters that this is an extremely odd case. How many cases are there where a woman has been kidnapped by two other women? Kidnapping is usually committed for ransom or by sexual predators. Very few will keep a victim alive for long but we know that this does happen as per the case now ongoing with Todd Kohlhepp but the vast majority of cases will murder a victim very quickly. This is a highly unusual case. It will be interesting to find out what motive two women would have for kidnapping another woman.

There is really no need to kidnap women from wealthy countries for sex slavery. There are millions of women and children trafficked from countries where life is much cheaper and where no one searches for them. No one is going to kidnap someone from a relatively affluent family in a country like the US where the press reports them missing and the family and law enforcement are going to be looking for them.

Last edited by Bernie20; 11-25-2016 at 11:35 PM..

Old 11-26-2016, 01:02 AM

44,661 posts, read 61,736,984 times
Strange case indeed. And what is really strange is that a grown woman, supposedly intelligent, supposedly kidnapped for 30 days, being very vague with information. She should have had plenty of time to memorize most details in that time period and be a little more helpful to the police.
Also it was noted by the police information officer that usually men are the ones doing the kidnapping for slavery and rarely do they grab adult women.
Something just doesn't smell right in this case.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:13 AM

1,059 posts, read 832,767 times
Not a chance of human trafficking. Human traffickers are after young females who are displaced and vulnerable. Plus, the traffickers are smooth and would gain the young females' trust. They don't grab a woman jogging. The photographs released show Sherri when she was younger, not current pictures.

Spending three weeks wth these Hispanic women, I would think the Sheriff would have a better description than "Two Hispanic women in a dark SUV with a handgun," especially since he asked everyone to keep an eye out for those two kidnappers. In California, that would be about 35% of the population.

Motive? The husband works for Best Buy as an installer, the wife is a stay at home mom, so there would be no monetary gain.

I have no idea what happened, but without knowing the players involved, it is impossible to even surmise what led up to the alleged kidnapping. Time will tell.

I understand the GFM account of at least $50,000 goes directly to the husband to use as he wishes. It seems appropriate under the circumstances (she returned) to offer to return the contributions to those who donated, but that's just me.

All that being said, it is wonderful Sherri has been returned to her family. A true Thanksgiving miracle. Hope of a successful outcome was fading due to the length of time she was missing.

We will either find out what really happened or this case will fade into oblivion.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:47 AM

44 posts, read 42,585 times
Did you see the sister, Sheila Koester, give a press conference yesterday? At no time did Sheila mention that Sherri had been abducted or taken against her will. She only said she had been "returned". I believe Sheila is in the dark about what happened, but she doesn't believe this was a true kidnapping.

As far as law enforcement's vague description of the abductors, I think they're playing along right now so Sherri feels comfortable telling more of her story. Perhaps when emotions abate in the coming days, they will press her a little harder in their search for the truth. LE probably already has evidence to contradict Sherri's story, but they felt it important to get through Thanksgiving before opening the can of worms.

This may be neither here nor there, but since Sherri is a stay-at-home mom, I'd like to know why they need daycare for the children. Daycare is expensive, and I'm hearing that her husband is an installer at Best Buy (not a high paying job).

Hopefully more facts will come out in the wash, and I hope the FBI stays involved in the case.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:37 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,632,318 times
How was she bound?

Old 11-26-2016, 07:39 AM

890 posts, read 885,682 times
Report: Missing California mother found chained to object, beaten - Chicago Tribune

"A northern California woman was chained to an object and had been badly beaten when found near an interstate three weeks after she disappeared while jogging, according to a newspaper citing a police-dispatch recording.

The Sacramento Bee reported that it acquired an audio clip of the exchange between dispatchers and officers in the moments after 34-year-old Sherri Papini flagged down a passing motorist near Interstate 5.

"CHP is on scene and advised that she is chained to something," a radio dispatcher told a responding officer. "CHP is advising that she is heavily battered."

Old 11-26-2016, 07:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,610,270 times
Interesting story.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:08 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,775,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Strange case indeed. And what is really strange is that a grown woman, supposedly intelligent, supposedly kidnapped for 30 days, being very vague with information. She should have had plenty of time to memorize most details in that time period and be a little more helpful to the police.
Also it was noted by the police information officer that usually men are the ones doing the kidnapping for slavery and rarely do they grab adult women.
Something just doesn't smell right in this case.
Agree, very fishy

Old 11-26-2016, 10:01 AM

162 posts, read 213,468 times
I was surprised she is alive. Admittedly my favorite crime show is Forensic Files and I am pretty sure I have seen all 21 seasons ( RIP Peter Thomas).

This is turning out to be a very interesting case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.