Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:13 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
admittedly, I'm just getting my mind around this one but I have to ask in reference to the bolded portion. Do you feel the fall out is due to perception problems or due to actual loss of funds. As I realize that the way things are right now, consumer and investor confidence is extremely important and hard to get a finger on kind of thing.
I think the fall out will be due to the fact that many of the specific fund holders have not yet been identified.

As this unfolds, it appears that many other hedge funds, and possibly some pension funds, had investments in this failed fund as part of their diversification/risk mitigation strategy. In a steep downturned market, such as this, a total evaporation of even a small % of a fund's investment can really have a significant "amplification" through the financial markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 09:28 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,484,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think the fall out will be due to the fact that many of the specific fund holders have not yet been identified.

As this unfolds, it appears that many other hedge funds, and possibly some pension funds, had investments in this failed fund as part of their diversification/risk mitigation strategy. In a steep downturned market, such as this, a total evaporation of even a small % of a fund's investment can really have a significant "amplification" through the financial markets.
Does this translate to a tumbling of the Stock Market come Monday only to be done with in a day or is this going to bleed itself out for some time to come?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
I guess with all the rich (well, not any more) and powerful people he has screwed over he probably should be referred to as "dead man walking".

Old 12-14-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Does this translate to a tumbling of the Stock Market come Monday only to be done with in a day or is this going to bleed itself out for some time to come?
Reactions are always difficult to predict, however I can assure you that many portfolio managers will be going through their holdings to determine if they have exposure here.

The real fallout will come when pension funds and third party investors find that they had exposure, and weren't aware of it. How extensive this will be is unknown at this point, but I can assure you that a lot of conference calls will be taking place Monday as institutional investors try to determine their personal impacts, if any.

This is the risk of significant leveraging, a specialty of hedge funds.

Hopefully, those with exposure will find it is less than 1% of their portfolios, and that we won't get a cascading of failures from this fraud. Right at this moment, the unknowns are of substantial concern.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I just don't understand how all the money disappeared. That is an awful lot to just be lost in the markets.
The monthly payouts were generally from recent new investments, not from the gain in value in equities. Do that for awhile, and there you have it...

Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,998,032 times
Default bail out the pyramid scheme

$50 billion must be the worlds largest pyramid scheme. I think the government should bail him out so he can keep the pyramid rolling. It is not fair that we bailed out the rest of his cronies on Wall Street while throwing this investor under the bus.

While $750 billion is okay for failed bank why did we let the blue collar auto industry die? I surmise that they are not the right type for a bail out, go see Gran Torino to clarify why.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:09 PM

Just picked up an update, overseas institutional investors (their markets open ahead of ours) are now beginning to understand the potential magnitude of this fraud:

The extent of the fall-out from the alleged Bernard Madoff fraud started to become apparent yesterday, as dozens more institutions and individuals across the globe were revealed to have had some exposure to the funds that his firm managed.

Spanish newspapers revealed that Banco Santander had more than $3bn (ÂŁ2bn) of clients’ money invested in Mr Madoff’s products, while Royal Bank of Scotland, BNP Paribas, Nomura Holdings and Unicredit (via its subsidiary Pioneer) were among other large institutions reported to have had exposure to his funds.

Fall-out from Madoff affair to hit big banks - Business News, Business - The Independent

Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,484,483 times
Amazing!

A cannabalistic wolf among a pack of wolves.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 AM

Scandal continues to grow, in terms of impact on institutional investors:

LONDON/TOKYO (Reuters) - Royal Bank of Scotland, Man Group and Nomura on Monday joined a growing list of financial groups acknowledging exposure to the alleged $50 billion fraud surrounding Wall Street trader Bernard Madoff.

A report in the Financial Times said HSBC Holdings Plc had emerged as one of the largest victims, with potential exposure of about $1 billion. HSBC could not immediately be reached for comment.

More banks reveal exposure to Madoff scandal | U.S. | Reuters

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081215/wall_street_arrest.html (broken link)

Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
I don't know how someone like that can sleep at night .

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime