Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:42 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I agree with that!
Actually I read the story on a german on line news website a day before I could find it here, strange!
The Europeans were heavy into this. They started bailing out two weeks ago. I wonder what they knew , and when they knew it ?......There will be lots of investigations. I am being told that those who got out as of late , may have to give back their withdrawals...its not their money , it belongs to those who lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 12:23 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,877 times
Default Bernard Madoff’s alleged $50 billion Ponzi scheme

Bernie manages to bilk $50 billion from folks - are they stupid, greedy or just too trusting? Anyone out there get tagged?

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I can't wait to read the critique of the fund auditors, responsible for certifying annual financial status.
Scale is part of the problem. I'm wondering if 'The big 4' are about to be the big 3 or 2 now? Arthur Anderson is reduced to handling lawsuits last I read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Europeans were heavy into this. They started bailing out two weeks ago. I wonder what they knew , and when they knew it ?......There will be lots of investigations. I am being told that those who got out as of late , may have to give back their withdrawals...its not their money , it belongs to those who lost.
Don't care for this particular brand of 'redistribution of wealth'?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Scale is part of the problem. I'm wondering if 'The big 4' are about to be the big 3 or 2 now? Arthur Anderson is reduced to handling lawsuits last I read.

Who does ?....... It was baked in the cake....Time for the SEC to sunset. Obama will spearhead a new era in regulation.The SEC will become history , and be replaced by a more responsible regulator body.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:14 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

This has nothing to do with "redistribution of wealth", but everything with being a fraud and a criminal.

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-15-2008, 02:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
But it DID redistrubute wealth. That 50-billion number---where do you think that went? Sure, Madoff ran an illegal operation. Get over it. But where's the money? Lots of people run illegal operations. Some of them take the money for themselves. Why not just make Madoff pay the 50-billion back? Because he doesn't have it. Somebody else does. It';s just like any other scam---the losers are the ones were greedy enugh to go in in it thinking they could come out undeserved gains.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But it DID redistrubute wealth. That 50-billion number---where do you think that went? Sure, Madoff ran an illegal operation. Get over it. But where's the money? Lots of people run illegal operations. Some of them take the money for themselves. Why not just make Madoff pay the 50-billion back? Because he doesn't have it. Somebody else does. It';s just like any other scam---the losers are the ones were greedy enugh to go in in it thinking they could come out undeserved gains.
He didn't do all this alone. Madoff had partners in crime , look for more revelations to come.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Default Read it and weep folks

We have met the enemy and it are us....

From the WaPo. Link: SEC Didn't Act on Madoff Tips - washingtonpost.com

Excerpt:

- The SEC had the authority to investigate Madoff's investment business, which managed billions of dollars for wealthy investors and philanthropies. Financial analysts raised concerns about Madoff's practices repeatedly over the past decade, including a 1999 letter to the SEC that accused Madoff of running a Ponzi scheme. But the agency did not conduct even a routine examination of the investment business until last week.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,641,451 times
The SEC has been badly underfunded over the years. They have some skilled investigators, but their computer system would be unacceptably underpowered even for a middling accounting firm. For example, something like the Madoff fraud would have been revealed through a simple statistical analysis of the fund's reported returns over time compared to industry averages, which is apparently what several independent investigators and university professors have already done. But the SEC didn't have that capacity. Not in any systematic manner.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Worcester Telegram & Gazette News

I wonder what will happen to this guy? I can't believe no one caught on, this had been going on for a loooooong time. How many more crooks like this are out there?

ask the federal goverment, they are the masters of the ponzie scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime