Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
I lived in Tucson for several years, and I didn't mind the weather at all...however, i have found the miserable summer here in Houston, TX. This is truly miserable. I gotta go.
I found it the opposite. I have lived here for a number of years and then I spent a summer in Tucson and couldn't wait to live. It was a zillion times worse than the summer we have been having in Houston thus far. The summer is half way over and we have not gotten to 100 yet. Crosses fingers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 05:15 PM

352 posts, read 569,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The summer is half way over and we have not gotten to 100 yet. Crosses fingers
wow... I just saw on the news today that it was 99 but the heat index brought it up to 104. I guess its a personal preference of dry heat vs. humidity.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
wow... I just saw on the news today that it was 99 but the heat index brought it up to 104. I guess its a personal preference of dry heat vs. humidity.
yeah, I can't stand the dry heat. Its the reason I don't go outside during the day much when I visited Tempe, Tulsa, Vegas etc. The heat didn't seem so dry in the areas I spent most time in NM, so it wasn't so bad there. But the dry heat in Arizona and Nevada felt like people were sticking me with red hot pins.

I have been living in humidity all my life though. I grew up in the Caribbean before I moved to Houston. 75% Humidity was a 365 day a year concurrence.
I am not used to the dry heat

EDIT: My roommate said it only got to 96 in our area. we didn't get any of that 99 in my hood

Last edited by HtownLove; 08-01-2010 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
I found it the opposite. I have lived here for a number of years and then I spent a summer in Tucson and couldn't wait to live. It was a zillion times worse than the summer we have been having in Houston thus far.
You're quite the jokester, aren't ya?!

Quote:
I have been living in humidity all my life though. I grew up in the Caribbean before I moved to Houston.
Humidity's fine - as long as it's by a beach!

Old 08-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Its not for everyone. But for me, I think dry heat is fine- as long as it is in the Desert

In all honesty, my skin was not used to it, was never there for more than three weeks at a time, so my skin never adjusted. Its not my thing I don't like it. Just like people from Arizona and Nevada can't handle our juiciness

Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 PM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I read on a local Seattle TV station's weather blog that LA has been even cooler this spring and early summer than Seattle has (at least the official - ie LAX - temps have been). That must be truly distressing consider just how cool WE were.

Ken
That's true for the daytime highs but the nights in LA are still warmer than in Seattle.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's true for the daytime highs but the nights in LA are still warmer than in Seattle.
True enough. Still LOUSY weather for LA though.
All in all, a pretty chilly spring and early summer for the west coast.

Ken

Old 08-02-2010, 01:04 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Quote:
I am not used to the dry heat
My son in law can't handle the dry air out in the West, either and he graduated from the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, then was stationed at Luke AFB in Phoenix. Everytime they visited us in CO, he'd get sick, his skin would itch and his throat would be really sore. He needs humidity.

I spent my first 20 years in suburbs of Detroit, Chicago and NYC, and hated humidity, so when I moved to CO for college, I was in love with the lack of humidity. To this day, I can't stand being in the MidWest, South or Gulf region in summer. It's so oppressive it's awful. I feel like I'm soaking wet all the time, my clothes stick to me, my hair goes all frizzy, and I need bushels of baby powder to just feel some semblance of human. The couple of times I've had to be in Houston in the summer, I thought I was going to die. I couldn't breathe, the air was so heavy and wet.

I'll take CO, AZ, NV, UT or NM any day over just about anywhere else.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
My son in law can't handle the dry air out in the West, either and he graduated from the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, then was stationed at Luke AFB in Phoenix. Everytime they visited us in CO, he'd get sick, his skin would itch and his throat would be really sore. He needs humidity.

I spent my first 20 years in suburbs of Detroit, Chicago and NYC, and hated humidity, so when I moved to CO for college, I was in love with the lack of humidity. To this day, I can't stand being in the MidWest, South or Gulf region in summer. It's so oppressive it's awful. I feel like I'm soaking wet all the time, my clothes stick to me, my hair goes all frizzy, and I need bushels of baby powder to just feel some semblance of human. The couple of times I've had to be in Houston in the summer, I thought I was going to die. I couldn't breathe, the air was so heavy and wet.

I'll take CO, AZ, NV, UT or NM any day over just about anywhere else.
See I guess people get different reactions. So I don't think people should not react to dry heat or humidity like everyone loves the one and hates the other and vice versa. I react the same way as your son. You have to use mucho powder in humidity, I have to use buckets of lotion in dryer areas or else my skin flakes.

In Houston the AC gets rid of the humidity and everyone is fine because every fox hole and chicken coup is air conditioned. But with the dry heat, weather I am inside or our the dry air still messes with me and I wake up at night dry and scaly

I have only been to Colorado from the Fall to Spring so I have never experienced dry Air in Colorado. I love the cold so Colorado in the Spring is so nice to me.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:59 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
In Houston the AC gets rid of the humidity and everyone is fine because every fox hole and chicken coup is air conditioned. But with the dry heat, weather I am inside or our the dry air still messes with me and I wake up at night dry and scaly
I haven't even been to Houston per se and I still feel the awful humidity in the practically sealed airport. That's some example! Houston is the quintessential poster child of miserable weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson