Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
^^ is my concern for moving to Tucson.

Everything meets my criteria in Tucson except the heat that persists through the evening and the lack of water.
The heat does NOT persist through the evening (that's Phoenix) and I'm not lacking any water myself. If some do, let's hear from them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 PM

461 posts, read 861,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The heat does NOT persist through the evening (that's Phoenix) and I'm not lacking any water myself. If some do, let's hear from them!
Well if you have a 100 to 100+ day time temp, what can you expect the temps to be during the night? 80?

And I didn't mean lacking any water...I know you will have plenty to drink/shower/etc.
But what about swimming pools? Will I be able to fill up a pool guilt free/not breaking the bank?

And I was also more asking about natural springs, lakes, rivers, other fun spots to get into the river that were "close" (within 2-3 hours) to Tucson?

Old 08-13-2010, 01:31 PM

171 posts, read 588,461 times
There is nothing better than eating a late dinner outside after the sun has gone down in the desert. It can be 90 degrees in the evening, but without the sun on you or the humidity its delightful. Not for everyone, but its great for me.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 PM

204 posts, read 628,913 times
Quote:
^^ is my concern for moving to Tucson.

Everything meets my criteria in Tucson except the heat that persists through the evening and the lack of water.

What do you guys do during the day to keep cool? I assume indoors, at work, and do a lot of you have swimming pools? What about those who don't? Good community pools?
And the heat doesn't seem to die down in the evenings per the above poster and my checkings of weather.com and comparing them to the cool down we usually have in KY.

Does Tucson have a water outlet at all? A spring? a natural place to swim?

I know it is the dessert....I know, I know...but just curious if there is a not as well known resource for water.

Thanks.
I totally swim all summer! I love being outdoors and that's the only way I can handle it in the summer...to be submerged in water You are right about the heat at night. It took me years to get used to it and when I move I'm sure my body will be confused. It is so weird at first if you have to go somewhere late at night/early morning and it's still 90 outside!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:36 PM

204 posts, read 628,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
There is nothing better than eating a late dinner outside after the sun has gone down in the desert. It can be 90 degrees in the evening, but without the sun on you or the humidity its delightful. Not for everyone, but its great for me.
I totally agree. The direct sunlight out here can be really brutal if you are sensitive to it but I have grown to enjoy the heat if the sun is down.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:49 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Well if you have a 100 to 100+ day time temp, what can you expect the temps to be during the night? 80?

And I didn't mean lacking any water...I know you will have plenty to drink/shower/etc.
But what about swimming pools? Will I be able to fill up a pool guilt free/not breaking the bank?

And I was also more asking about natural springs, lakes, rivers, other fun spots to get into the river that were "close" (within 2-3 hours) to Tucson?
I agree with SierraAZ (as usual) and the other posters. Trust me, 90 degrees at night in Tucson is NOT ANYTHING like 90 degrees at night in places like the East Coast, Midwest - or most especially the South. I spent years living on the East Coast and the Midwest and the nighttime humidity in Tucson (even during the monsoons) is sooooooo much lower that it's not just MORE BAREABLE - it's DOWNRIGHT PLEASANT! It is an ENTIRELY different experience from what you are used to if you are from those other places. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the summer nights in the Southwest.

Ken

Old 08-13-2010, 02:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Yes. The difference between daytime and nighttime temps is huge in the desert. The elevation makes a difference, too, which is the reason it's hot in Phoenix at night. I'm not even going to go into the lack of humidity and how it feels because I'm sick of it.

One would think you should know this much, if you consider it , not to mention it takes typing a couple of words in Google to find out - tucson weather - Google Search. In the winter you may easily have 70's during the day and 30's at night.

Weather for Tucson, AZ
98°F | °C
Current: Sunny
Wind: N at 1 mph
Humidity: 21%Fri

102°F | 78°FSat

105°F | 79°FSun

105°F | 80°FMon

100°F | 79°F

Of course, that's your business. I'm not the Chamber of Commerce or the Visitors Bureau.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 AM

308 posts, read 791,475 times
This is my first summer here, and it has been more pleasant than the ones I spent in upstate NY. I love not feeling sticky all the time, especially after getting out of the shower. I don't sweat through my shirt several times per day like I would in the Northeast, and I have not smelled like a wet dog once all this summer! (if you are from an area with humidity and were active there, you know what I mean) The nights are very refreshing, and you can actually sit outside without getting eaten alive by the bugs. Very nice.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:19 PM

56 posts, read 116,879 times
This is my second summer in Tucson. I was working on the inside last summer and did not to get out and about. This summer I've been fortunate to fly all over the state. So far we have flown into the following airports: Yuma, Safford, Sedona, Nogales, Payson, Bisby-Douglas, Prescott, Dear Valley, Chandler, Tombstone, Buckeye. We are based out of Ryan Air Field - SW of Tucson. It has been a bit warm and the plane does not climb as well when it is really hot but, what a wonderful state to see. I lived in Phoenix for 2.5 years back in the 80s and I'm glad we decided to move here from the East Coast. 95 degrees and a bit of a breeze is fantastic.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 PM

339 posts, read 832,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBound? View Post
This is my 1st summer in Tucson.....I have been told by alot of people the summer heat is unbearable and miserable. Here it is end of July and I still havent seen it too bad. I came from the South and it gets to be low 100s with 80-90% humidity! Now that is miserable! Is the worse yet to come or do I have a good taste of Tucson summers? In which case I would be very happy!
Yeah it sounds worse than it actually is because it gets hot but not with the humidity and as long as you work and live where there's AC and you have AC in your car, you really can take the heat, just don't go out in it if it's too much, it's not like you have to sit outside all day in the heat & sun up till sundown. It's not as if AC doesn't exist or hasn't been invented. So I think anyone can take the heat just by adjusting how much time they actually spend outdoors. It's better than the freezing cold winters that's for sure and it's only really hot for like 3 months out of the year and the rest of the year the weather is beautiful. In other places it's the reverse, only nice in 3 months of summer then cold the rest of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson