Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:18 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times

Advertisements

This is disgusting. I hope Giffords makes it through, and my prayers go to her family, and all the families of the others this tragedy affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 01:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
She will be in my thoughts today. My prayers are out to all those affected. Let's make sure to keep our cool throughout this whole ordeal and leave the finger pointing out until an investigation is done.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:30 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Initial reports did say it was fatal but I'm now also hearing she's not dead, but is in surgery in critical condition. It was a head shot and few people survive them with no ill effects. Prayers are up to her and her family.

Oh good Lord! What happened is horrible and it was done by a sick person. It had nothing to do with gun lawsModerator cut: referring to deleted comment. Do you think someone that wants to shoot a person will go downtown to file for their permit, take their safety course, sit around waiting for their background check to come through and THEN go shoot someone?? Good grief!

Stop trying to make something so horrible and tragic be a political thing. She may have been shot by a political right wing nut, but just being a 'conservative pro gun voter' doesn't make you a nut. I'm a conservative voter who's very pro gun and I think this is a sick, twisted tragedy. I hope to God the SOB that shot her had his brains blown all over the place. We don't need crazy peopleon this planet. Just my opinion.

Ugh. Just heard the shooter is safe and in custody. What a shame.
Moderator cut: reference to deleted commentI bet I own more guns than you do, in fact. What you don't understand is how in Arizona, the conflation of guns, hate speech from the right, and intolerance like you yourself so obviously display, makes these kind of incidents inevitable.

You also do not know AZ laws. No one needs a permit to carry a gun here - even a concealed gun. I don't think that is the reason, it is just a manifestation of a very sick culture of hate and violence that has developed over the last 20 years in Arizona. Another black eye for our state.

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-08-2011 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: referring to deleted comment

Old 01-08-2011, 01:32 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
[mod cut-- orphaned quote]
Has anyone heard about the other victims?

I'm hearing 19 shot. At least one is a child. A number of the others shot is the Congresswoman's staff.

Just said she's gravely wounded. [mod cut-- speculation]

Also just said someone in the crowd shot back at the shooter. Too bad their aim wasn't good enough.

Prayers continuing for all involved.

Last edited by observer53; 01-08-2011 at 02:55 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 01:33 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Moderator cut: referring to deleted commentThere you go, proving my point - intolerance and ignorance from the right. I bet I own more guns than you do, in fact. What you don't understand is how in Arizona, the conflation of guns, hate speech from the right, and intolerance like you yourself so obviously display, makes these kind of incidents inevitable.
Intolerance for what?? And what does it matter who has more guns? Moderator cut: personal attackEven if there is no permit needed or a permit IS needed, it doesn't change the fact that the criminal element can easily access guns anytime they want to commit a crime. All the lack of a permit law does is ensure people who don't have the money for the permit are still able to protect themselves.

Just heard she's responding to commands!!!!!!!! It sounds good!!!!

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-08-2011 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 01-08-2011, 01:38 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
and sometimes you just have a single wacko having a koolaide party for one.

Tragic incident, was watching the news this morning and heard about it. With friends and relatives in Tucson, it caught my attention.
Exactly! Now they're reporting that the suspect is a male in his late teens or early 20s ... not typically in the age bracket associated with right wing politics, but then you never know. He shot into the crowd too and reportedly killed a few other people. Whatever the motive was, it was a SICK, TRAGIC incident! I hope the suspect gets back what he gave. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth! Nobody who commits a heinous crime like this deserves to live.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:39 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Why don't we wait for further information about the incident, eh? At this point, there are no details, and your comments are off topic. This is a breaking news story, and you're posting in a city forum, not Politics and Other Controversies. Thanks.
I don't think speculation as to the reasons for this tragedy is off topic, but I will refrain from doing so at your request. Whatever the reason, I am not surprised in the least that this has happened in Arizona. There is no question the shooter was a wacko of some sort and this place seems to sprout wackos like tumbleweeds.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:40 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
It doesn't matter how vehemently a person disagrees with another, that doesn't give the person the right to take anyone else's life.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't think speculation as to the reasons for this tragedy is off topic, but I will refrain from doing so at your request.
I sincerely appreciate that, Ponderosa. This is a terrible tragedy for her family and loved ones.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:45 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
It doesn't matter how vehemently a person disagrees with another, that doesn't give the person the right to take anyone else's life.
Thank you, Mike. It doesn't matter what side of the aisle anybody falls on either ... Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green, Independent, or whatever ... this was a horrendous tragedy commited by a lowly miscreant of society. I hope this suspect (whomever he is) is put to death for this, and not 20 years later like many death row inmates. He needs to pay with his life for taking another life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson