Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:34 PM

17 posts, read 39,878 times

Advertisements

I am planning a 1 week camp trip to southern arizona from December 17-24. I really do not know what to expect as far as weather. Most campgrounds I have checked out are all well over 3,000 ft in elevation. I will be camping in the southern part (cochise/pima county area). Im trying to make this a cost friendly trip, so campsites without fees would be nice.

I am using this page as my guide of sorts. Let me know if any of these are nice places to camp.

"*Campgrounds & Camping in Southern Arizona - Tucson & Other Areas - RV - MH - TT - Tent Camping "

Thanks!

After going over some of the camps, these seemed to have no fee. Still a little advice would be helpful.
Molino Basin
Lakeview Campground
Patagonia Lake State Park
Peppersauce Campground
Picacho Peak State Park
Sunny Flat Campground
Sycamore Campground
West Turkey Creek Campground

Last edited by oracle31; 10-24-2011 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 PM

351 posts, read 975,716 times
Are you looking for campgrounds with services? Santa Rita Mts has some backwoods camp sites that have absolutely no improvements/services. Taking the back way via Patagonia is another way to get into the Santa Rita Mts, again with no services.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,552,277 times
I would not go further south than the signs that say the US government has surrendered that land to Mexican drug lords.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
I would not go further south than the signs that say the US government has surrendered that land to Mexican drug lords.
gee, I've never seen any sign like that...do you have a picture of one?????!!!....thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
You won't see any of that up in the mountains. The drug mules usually are sent packing to the east and west of the Santa Rita range (mostly to the west of I19). Sending someone up the side of a mountain with 100 lbs of drugs strapped on their back just doesn't make good business sense.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
gee, I've never seen any sign like that...do you have a picture of one?????!!!....thanks
They have some signs near the southern reaches of the Santa Rita mountains in box canyon and along highway 83 warning of drug activity. Next time I'm out off-roading I'll be sure to snap a picture.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:24 PM

Coronado national forest is where im looking around. I kinda of assumed there could be some drug activity, being that close to mexico.

Hows the weather in the area and elevation in December?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 PM

444 posts, read 1,352,367 times
I camped at Pena Blanca a few years ago and had a good time. The Chiricahuas, particularly Cave Creek Canyon on the east slope, are great for camping, although that's a bit far from Tucson.
The warning signs about drug and smuggling activity are about 500 feet from the border along FR 60. It's never been a good idea to camp down there, but people do so anyway near a nice creek that pours out of the Santa Ritas almost perennially. I would be more concerned in the Tonto NF with the marijuana growing operations people have stumbled across.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post
I camped at Pena Blanca a few years ago and had a good time. The Chiricahuas, particularly Cave Creek Canyon on the east slope, are great for camping, although that's a bit far from Tucson.
The warning signs about drug and smuggling activity are about 500 feet from the border along FR 60. It's never been a good idea to camp down there, but people do so anyway near a nice creek that pours out of the Santa Ritas almost perennially. I would be more concerned in the Tonto NF with the marijuana growing operations people have stumbled across.

Whats the weather like in December? Snowing? temps?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 PM

Santa Rita in December is cold but bearable with winter wear. Snow falls occassionally in the backwoods campsites there (about hafway up the mountains in terms of elevation). The Santa Catalinas get more snow and of course Mt. Lemmon can stay covered in snow all winter. It really depends on the elevation of the campsite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson