Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:55 PM

68 posts, read 126,338 times

Advertisements

FRANLOWY, if you are interested in SBR, you should go take a look. Don't rule out anything that you think you might like. You are coming out to look take good advantage of the trip. The agent I recommended to you knows all about the area, and can answer any questions you have. I know she sells up there, and goes to the facilities for her personal use. New houses are cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 02:40 AM

42 posts, read 107,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN55 View Post
FRANLOWY, if you are interested in SBR, you should go take a look. Don't rule out anything that you think you might like. You are coming out to look take good advantage of the trip. The agent I recommended to you knows all about the area, and can answer any questions you have. I know she sells up there, and goes to the facilities for her personal use. New houses are cool.
Yes, we are seeing her there. I'm just getting overwhelmed with the information. I'm sure it will all sort out once I get there. We will probably go see Saddlebrooke Ranch. We've taken Sun Lake off the list but adding Sun City Festival and Sun City Grand. We do have a month to see everything. Unfortunately, my husband is working during this trip (he works remotely by computer) so I will be doing a lot of scouting out by myself.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:09 PM

40 posts, read 45,122 times
Just returned from a 3-day stay and play visit at SBR. And upon return, we put down a deposit for SB resale. We were NOT expecting to buy as we are few years from re-locating. Coming from the Midwest and 1.75 acres, after 4 visits to 55+ communities, we suddenly valued the privacy of the backyard. Thus a cul-de-sac became VERY important. And there are not many in SB and zero in SBR as they (and most newer 55+'s) take up too much real estate, I guess.

For the winds, one golfer I met said yes at SBR. Our real estate agent said she couldn't really tell a difference and does not golf. A breeze in the summer might be nice . . .

Regarding the home values, the resales for basically the same floor plan at SB are 20-30% less than new homes at SBR, depending on the lot/view. Still a buyers market, although that is a highly subjective comment. Resales start around ask of $288K-ish.

For HOA fees, GeneR is correct about the Sun City's bargain rates. But the dollar difference was not key to our decision.

Only heard 2 complaints SB:1) there are not nearly enough Pickle Ball courts (6). But SB does have access to those at SBR about 10 minutes away. SB was originally developed as a golf tennis club long before the Pickle Ball craze. There are an abundance of tennis courts. The problem is known, solutions will occur. 2) the cable TV and internet providers are only fair, as Daisypups has posted.

The plans for a nearby Fyre's are apparently back on track which would excite the locals at SB and SBR.

The access to shopping, restaurants, movies, etal in North Oro Valley will a breeze with the road (77) widening almost done.

Every 55+community has resales as folks die, need to move, want to get closer to grandkids, etc. The turnover creates a younger demographic, opportunity for new social groups. The common refrain, "everyone is from somewhere else" is true. IMHO, one can have only have so many BFF's. Home is where you make it. By definition, SBR that started in 2008 (ouch for that timing) has younger demographics. We felt more comfortable with SB being fully developed AND THE VIEWS of the mountains. We cannot wait to relocate . . .

Old 02-12-2016, 12:13 PM

604 posts, read 935,347 times
We have landed, well almost. It is no secret to those who have followed this and several other threads that we've been on a mission to find the "perfect" retirement community. The search narrowed to Green Valley and the west valley in the Phoenix area after visiting numerous other areas. I've posted opinions here on those communities north of Tucson, Florence and the Sun Cities in the Phoenix area. No need to repeat those views as they are readily available on other threads for those with an interest.

After re-reading some of the threads it became apparent I had not concluded the search here, so, for the sake of brevity, I will offer this final word: we are building a new home in Sun City Festival.

Festival was about the third community we visited over two years ago. It was the first where we stayed overnight. On that visit we were having a meal at the Indigo Grill and got involved in a conversation with a couple of residents. We said we had just begun our search and planned on visiting other communities to have a look. One said "you can stop right now, you've found the best". For many reasons we now agree. Our home will be completed sometime around May first and we'll be making the move from MN to this new home in mid-June.

As stated above I've detailed much of our reasoning elsewhere but I will add here that these forums have been invaluable in our research. Your opinions and experiences have helped us know our own values and criteria. There are so many great choices here in AZ for those seeking an active adult community. How much easier it has been for us than for those who have not found, nor taken advantage of, this great resource.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,326 times
My wife and I have visited many retirement communities over the past year, including Green Valley and Saddlebrooke. We are pre-retirement, both are 64 and I believe that the feel of the community is extremely important. All of the communities have similar amenities and clubs. It's the people that give the vibrancy and buzz. We were not impressed with Green Valley. The GVR facilities, while maintained nicely seem aged in comparison to the newer communities. The Santa Rita mountains are not as nice as the Catalina and Tortalita ranges up in Oro Valley. Even though the proximity to Tucson is closer from Green Valley, there is literally nothing between GV and Tucson on Hwy 19. Yes, Tubac was an interesting town and Elvira's food was excellent and that was the highlight from our visit to GV. We really like the Oro Valley area. Saddlebrooke Ranch is our favorite, the people were warm and very friendly and within our age group. There are about 500 homes built and completion will see 6,000. Wife feels it's a bit remote, have to drive 7-10 minutes to Catalina for Starbucks, grocery store and a few restaurants. It's another 10 minutes down to Oro Valley where all the major shopping is located. Views of the mountains are stunning! Saddlebrooke is an older community, built from 1988 to present. We do love the lot sizes in Saddlebrooke, the large yards give a feeling of privacy and many have mountain views. I've seen many homes in the $225,000 range, suggest working with a local realtor to provide listings and updates. We plan to spend a week this July at Saddlebrooke Ranch to experience the summer heat and Monsoons. We visited in early September and it reached 95 while we were out and about, and both of us tolerated it fine. The 3,200 feet elevation keeps it cooler in the summers as opposed to Phoenix.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:03 AM

37 posts, read 43,769 times
Default Still looking

I've enjoyed this thread and still wondering about SB and GV. Any new information? My parents lived in GV from 1986 to 2005, so I am familiar with GV from that respect. I am mid-late 50's, single and enjoy my dogs, golf, bicycling and definitely like the mountain views. Used to love to swim. Good health & enjoy the outdoors. I have visited SB a couple of times & it seemed very nice. The HOA fees seem rather high compared to HOA in GV & GVR, but I understand you get your money's worth.

Any new recommendations regarding GV v SB? Looking to keep housing around $325k or below. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions. Planning on making the move in less than a year. I check on Zillow a few times a week. How difficult is it to get involved with activities as a single person- not looking for a spouse.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:17 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,307,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nescooter View Post
I've enjoyed this thread and still wondering about SB and GV. Any new information? My parents lived in GV from 1986 to 2005, so I am familiar with GV from that respect. I am mid-late 50's, single and enjoy my dogs, golf, bicycling and definitely like the mountain views. Used to love to swim. Good health & enjoy the outdoors. I have visited SB a couple of times & it seemed very nice. The HOA fees seem rather high compared to HOA in GV & GVR, but I understand you get your money's worth.

Any new recommendations regarding GV v SB? Looking to keep housing around $325k or below. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions. Planning on making the move in less than a year. I check on Zillow a few times a week. How difficult is it to get involved with activities as a single person- not looking for a spouse.

I have lived in Green Valley for the past three years.

Green Valley has approximately 105 HOAs with prices ranging from $50k for a 600 sq ft casita to just under $1 million for large home on an acre lot. It is impossible for me to describe each of these areas as they are so diverse housing wise.

MOST of the HOAs are 55+ but not all. Most of the HOAs are deed restricted to Green Valley Recreation which operates 13 community centers that include the swimming pools, work out facilities and a great number of cultural, athletic, and social opportunities. If you are in a deed restricted area, the buy-in is about $2500 one-time and the fees are $485 per YEAR for use of all the facilities. The HOAs have a separate fee. Ours is $200/ YEAR but some are higher and others lower. You really need to understand what fees are assessed before buying

See their website at gvrec.org. In about six months, a new website RetireArizona will go live with a lot more information.

It is NOT hard to get involved in activities in the Green Valley area and there are groups within GVR as well as the community as a whole for most interests. One of the great advantages of Green Valley is that there are a lot of opportunities to be active seniors no matter regardless of your age. I know people who are in their upper 80s who are on bicycles and still hike.

One advantage of the Green Valley/Sahuarita areas is that traffic is not very congested and the pace is a little bit slower. However, you can head to Tucson in about 25 minutes when you want to head out for an evening. Traffic between Green Valley and downtown Tucson is generally pretty minimal.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:41 PM

37 posts, read 43,769 times
Thank you for the information. Yes, one of the draws to GV is GVR, so I will be sure to find a home in a deed restricted area.
I will check out the website you mentioned. I know that SB has a great website listing the various groups to join.

After years of getting “dressed” for work, definitely looking forward to a more casual atmosphere and light traffic is always a plus for me.

I just remembered when my parents were there, it seemed as if most activities revolved around couples--but that could have been due to the fact that they were very active with the Canoa Ridge group -- almost all couples.

Thank you again for the great information--I will continue pondering whether SB or GV would be the best fit.

Will continue to scour the forum for additional information and continue to visit. Seems I am always visiting the Tucson area in the summer....works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson