Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 36,817 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (and our dog) live in Payson, Az and are considering a move to Oro Vally north of Tucson. We don't have scorpions here to speak of - this will be a new experience for all of us. I guess one of my concerns is for our dog; she sleeps on a rug on the floor at night. Obviously, I'd like to think that a scorpion won't sneak up on her at night and sting her. Has anyone had any experience in this area? We don't have a cat at the present time, but from what I've read on this forum, we will probably get one if and when we move since they seem to be good at keeping scorpions in check. Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 PM

529 posts, read 2,394,678 times
Hi Burckhart,

To be honest, having pets stung by scorpions is a valid concern. As you mentioned cats don't seem to have problems with them one bit but I have known dogs to be bitten by scorpions, and depending on the size of the dog and scorpion, and their sensitivity level, it could certainly be fatal.

My personal opinion is that scorpions won't seek out a sleeping dog but I couldn't find anything on the 'net to back up my guess. I think the scenario to worry about is your dog waking up and pursuing the scorpion!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Scorpions will only sting if they feel threatened. They will not purposely sneak up and sting your dog. The only scorpion you need to worry about is the sting (not bite) from the Arizona bark scorpion, Centruroides exilicauda. I keep and study scorpions, if you have any questions let me know.

Also, do a search here on C-D for scorpions, youll find TONS of info Ive (and others) posted.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:41 PM

67 posts, read 292,176 times
I have a two pound yorkie, should I be concerned? She's always inside and we will have A Pest Control Service. Will that be enough?

Old 02-02-2008, 12:20 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,828 times
I have never had pets stung by scorpions, but I myself have been stung twice. Both times I was outside barefoot and stepped on them. I have family members that have dogs and never had a problem. My house has a granite landscape, and that tends to attract scorpions, wood piles will also attract them. the best thing you can do is prevention. As I learned, dont walk barefoot in the granite rocks,lol ... We just bought a new house in pinal county and will plant a grass backyard.Scorpions are actually much worse in New Mexico. When we lived out there, at night the pool deck would literally be covered with them. I have never had one in my house Arizona and have lived here most of my life, but in NM, I had them in the house along with cetipedes that charges you etc,uggg.. Keep cement blocks away from your house as well, as they like those. If you want granite, I would even suggest having grass up along the perimiter of the house, and rock in front of that if you want rock.

Ama

Old 02-02-2008, 02:38 PM

16 posts, read 64,767 times
I tend to agree that scorpions are only going to bother something if they feel threatened. I have three dogs that are inside/outside dogs and I have yet to have an issue, we also have a pest service as well though.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 23,745 times
I also have inside/ outside Chihuahuas and they have never been stung but not all scorpions stay outside, even with a monthly pest control service the insects in az are made to survive all types of "invaders". You may also be concerned of black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders as they are also a danger to you and your pets. Hope not to scare you but warn you of the wonderful wildlife that lives in AZ. You may want to visit the AZ / Sonoran Museum for all kinds of wonderful information. I am an AZ native from Nogales

Old 03-18-2008, 06:33 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I lived in Tucson for 17 years, and never saw a Scorpion; had several dogs and they were never stung.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:51 AM

19 posts, read 152,702 times
I have stepped on a scorpion bare foot not knowing it until I turned around to see what it was, and it didn't sting me. Also had a scorpion run along side my foot one moring in the bathroom and it didn't bother me either. Just creeped me out for awhile. I don't think they'll bother your pets.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 13,363 times
Default grassy or not

My backyard is all landscaping rocks and i have lots of scorpions should i put grass down instead? which one does scorpion dislike the most?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson