Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 06:47 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,860,401 times

Advertisements

On another thread about a Javelina video I posted, this subject came up. I wanted to share my reply from that thread because I want to share my solution to this problem.

They have learned to tip over trash bins in Green Valley as well. I cleaned up a mess yesterday morning I came across on my walk. Most people in my neighborhood are now using a bungee cord to hold the lid closed so that even if they push over the can, the lid does not come open. I to have seen the tipping happen in daylight and I have also seen the Javelina watch me and a neighbor clean up their mess from just 15 feet away. They were not threatening or anything. In fact I did not even notice them for a minute. I get that they are trying to survive and they will take the easiest path possible. So it is up to us humans to deal with the fact that the Javelina have learned this behavior. The bungee cord really does work. I have seen several cans tipped over, but not open and I pick them back up while on my walk. Here is a link to a video of Javelina spreading the trash of a foolish neighbor who just put his trash out in a plastic bag. Please use a trash bin and a bungee cord to hold the lid closed. Hopefully if this tipping behavior stops working for them, they will quit doing it.

FYI, this same solution works for the wind knocking over you trash bin too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMgR0j_feDg

If you go to the 2:50 mark of this video, it shows the solution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtNh9x3EO-c&t=21s

Last edited by bkolodzi; 05-16-2018 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:49 AM

499 posts, read 470,940 times
Javalinas are scavengers and will get into any food/trash they can. A few years ago my clever husband drilled holes on the lid and the body of our large trash bin and used carabiner clips to hold the lid securely. Problem solved. On trash days we unlatch the clips in the morning and set it curbside for pickup. Having the lid clipped to the body also helps during storms--if it gets windy enough are trash bins (which are only semi sheltered from the wind--will move and roll down a decline. With the clips securing the lid, no trash spills.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Javalinas are scavengers and will get into any food/trash they can. A few years ago my clever husband drilled holes on the lid and the body of our large trash bin and used carabiner clips to hold the lid securely. Problem solved. On trash days we unlatch the clips in the morning and set it curbside for pickup. Having the lid clipped to the body also helps during storms--if it gets windy enough are trash bins (which are only semi sheltered from the wind--will move and roll down a decline. With the clips securing the lid, no trash spills.

Very good PartIrish! It looks like we both basically came up with the same solution!

Old 05-17-2018, 10:01 AM

499 posts, read 470,940 times
Yes, both ways are effective in keeping those pesky critters out. And in rereading my post it is clear that my morning coffee had not yet taken effect. The post should read "our trash bins," not "are trash bins." Oy!

Old 05-17-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Yes, both ways are effective in keeping those pesky critters out. And in rereading my post it is clear that my morning coffee had not yet taken effect. The post should read "our trash bins," not "are trash bins." Oy!

Spelling and syntax errors are forgiven for early morning posts! Actually, I need forgiveness for those things pretty much any time of day!!!

Old 05-17-2018, 11:51 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,196,814 times
Bungee cords are working well for me too, both for wind and for javelinas

Old 05-17-2018, 12:16 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
When we came to Green Valley, the FIRST thing that we were told in our HOA was NOT to put out our trash before 6 am on the date of collection. Nearly everyone forgets once and is cleaning up after the javelinas afterwards.

By the way, the javelinas go after the white bagged trash first. If they come across five bags of varying colors, the white ones are attacked first.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When we came to Green Valley, the FIRST thing that we were told in our HOA was NOT to put out our trash before 6 am on the date of collection. Nearly everyone forgets once and is cleaning up after the javelinas afterwards.

By the way, the javelinas go after the white bagged trash first. If they come across five bags of varying colors, the white ones are attacked first.

That is interesting jlawrence01, I wonder why that is? I hope someone knows and can tell us!

Old 05-18-2018, 09:50 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
That is interesting jlawrence01, I wonder why that is? I hope someone knows and can tell us!
My guess would be that since javelinas' eyesight is not great to begin with, they will naturally gravitate toward white because it is more visible to them, especially in early morning and early evening half-light.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:32 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,196,814 times
White bags are more likely to contain kitchen garbage, black bags to contain yard waste. Garbage is yummier, and javelinas aren't dumb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson