Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 01:17 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times

Advertisements

What kind of ID is really needed for a US citizen to walk across the border from Mexico back into the US?

I've been using a passport, but it has expired and will take up to 11 weeks to renew. A passport card will take as long. I'm sending off the paperwork, but would like to cross sooner.

US Government site says you must have a passport.

But some people here say they know somebody who crosses all the time with no passport.

Have YOU crossed without a passport or passport card recently? What ID did you use? Was it a hassle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 01:20 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Land or Sea Travel: U.S. citizens entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:

- U.S. Passports

- U.S. Passport Cards

- Enhanced Driver's Licenses

- Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC)

- Trusted Traveler Cards (Global Entry*, NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST

- Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed official maritime business)

* The Global Entry (GE) card is only an ENTRY document and may not be used to enter Canada, Mexico or Adjacent Island.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

I have three of the above so have never tried to cross without.

Old 12-19-2021, 04:57 PM

Thanks

I have been researching online, so I'll share what I learned:
Only four states offer enhanced licenses: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, plus Washington DC. (I have licenses from AZ and HI, not good enough)
You need a passport to get SENTRI (I was filling out the application for this when I realized my passport is expired).
NEXUS is for the Canadian border, and I think a passport is required.
FAST is for commercial truck drivers.
I'm neither tribal nor military, so that's out, but maybe explains the stories I hear of people crossing without a passport.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:22 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
Play it safe and wait for the passport. Sometimes the wheels of bureaucracy will move faster than anticipated.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:30 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Do you really think, for one minute, they can hold an American citizen in Mexico for not having a passport to cross?

Ever heard of that happening? Shouldn't it be a no-brainer?

Old 12-20-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Do you really think, for one minute, they can hold an American citizen in Mexico for not having a passport to cross?

Ever heard of that happening? Shouldn't it be a no-brainer?
Coming back the other day, I saw a guy get put in a holding tank. I have no idea why, but I'd rather not spend time in one. I am hassle-averse. I can afford a passport, and will wait if I have to.

I keep hearing about people who know somebody who crosses all the time without a passport, I'm looking for people who have actually done it. Nobody has come forward yet.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:57 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
If you're one of these people who follow the letter to the law, I would strongly encourage that person to invest in a passport for their peace of mind.

Holding tank? Could you be more explicit? I've crossed in Tijuana some 80+ times and have never seen one. If you're a Mexican or Mexican American without a passport, I might understand it. At the Tijuana/San Ysidro crossing, they had a special lane for those that didn't have a passport, the line went slower but you'd get through.

You could talk to a half-dozen customs guards and you'd get different opinions.

When I lived in Las Vegas, I'd walk my ferret on the Strip at night, and at one point, they made it a law you could only walk a pet on the Strip between 4am and noon, which was no problem for this night owl. I talked to 2 officers one night, and they were completely unaware of the law.

Last edited by tijlover; 12-20-2021 at 06:15 PM..

Old 12-21-2021, 05:50 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Thanks

... You need a passport to get SENTRI (I was filling out the application for this when I realized my passport is expired).
NEXUS is for the Canadian border, and I think a passport is required. ....
I have a SENTRI and it's fine for my purpose (dentist visits Nogales). None the less, you are better off getting the Global Entry card. Cheaper and good for any of our borders and for overseas international travel.

Rich

Old 12-22-2021, 10:17 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
You can cross with your DL and a birth certificate if you have a copy of it. There are people that cross with just a DL all the time from Tijuana back to San Diego, and don't have any problems.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:24 PM

1,997 posts, read 862,329 times
Never know, your face might wind up on a milk carton. I wouldn't do it. The Mexicans authorities at the very least try to extort all your cash to let you back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson