Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,276 times

Advertisements

...and I've come to the conclusion that it's not as bad here as some people seem to or want others to think.

First, I've been everywhere from I-10 and Ina to Sunrise and Kolb, down to Pantano and Broadway, and back over to UA and 6th and Main...then everywhere in between.

I've gotta say, it's just not that bad. Sure there are a few sketchy areas in there, but if you are just driving through, and have at least minimal intelligence, they aren't going to affect you. Also, yes, I know to experience real "sketchiness"...I'd have to go to South Tucson...which I and most others have no real reason to go there. Anyone can live here and do just fine.

In areas besides crime, the abundance of different (and non-national chain) restaurants is amazing. I've been to Macayo's, Rubio's (twice...mm mahi fish tacos and shrimp burrito), La Salsa, El Paso BBQ, El Pollo Loco, and Jack in the Box (Yes I know this is a national chain, technically, but we don't have these back east).....and I'm planning on hitting up El Charro Cafe, Beyond Bread, and a few others. I've also wondered about Nico's Taco Shop...they are EVERYWHERE, but they always look a bit...sketchy?

One thing people warned me about is the so-called "lack of green"...and how I'll miss trees and plants. So far, everything seems fine...my apt complex is well landscaped with large trees....and the drive between here and UA is generally the same. I doubt I'll miss much greenery.

Speaking of the drive, I love KRQ, their morning show, and the traffic guy... Marco Otero or something like that. Seriously, he is the best, most random traffic guy ever.

There are only two things that have gotten to me so far: drivers who are obviously from Phoenix and the heat. The hot weather is annoying, and I can't wait until winter. On a side note, the monsoon storms, particularly the one last wednesday that knocked the power out in my part of town...are amazing.

Other than that, I've nearly gotten all of my furniture (Sam Levitz, which isn't as bad as some people have said, La-Z-Boy (yay sales), Best Buy, Sleep America, and when I get my other refund...Crate and Barrel). People are generally quite friendly here, and I think I will be able to survive the next 2-4 years quite fine (with the exception of May and June, perhaps )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,770 times
May is nothing.Its doesnt get warm untill June,July and August.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Well, good for ya! Welcome! And I'm glad you enjoy Sam Levitz!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
I agree 100%, Psulions . . . great place to live.

Since you've only been here a week you have no clue how great the weather can and does get. June is kinda warm but July and August are the killers. After Labor Day you'll begin to feel the humidity drop into single digits and the sky turn to navy blue.

Believe me, Tucson will definitely grow on you.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:31 PM

415 posts, read 1,682,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
...and I've come to the conclusion that it's not as bad here as some people seem to or want others to think.

One thing people warned me about is the so-called "lack of green"...and how I'll miss trees and plants. So far, everything seems fine...my apt complex is well landscaped with large trees....and the drive between here and UA is generally the same. I doubt I'll miss much greenery.

On a side note, the monsoon storms, particularly the one last wednesday that knocked the power out in my part of town...are amazing.

Other than that, I've nearly gotten all of my furniture (Sam Levitz, which isn't as bad as some people have said, La-Z-Boy (yay sales), Best Buy, Sleep America, and when I get my other refund...Crate and Barrel). People are generally quite friendly here, and I think I will be able to survive the next 2-4 years quite fine (with the exception of May and June, perhaps )

Welcome! It really is awesome! I've been here a little over a month now. There still is plenty of green around. You won't miss what you've been used to.

Yeah, last week's monsoon was great. I stood on my back patio and watched mother nature's light show over the Catalinas. Truly spectacular.

I also used Sam L. for most of what I needed to replace and had no problems. I will probably head there tomorrow or Saturday as I still need a mattress for myself.

Tucson rocks!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:33 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojulybabies View Post
Welcome! It really is awesome! I've been here a little over a month now. There still is plenty of green around. You won't miss what you've been used to.

Yeah, last week's monsoon was great. I stood on my back patio and watched mother nature's light show over the Catalinas. Truly spectacular.

I also used Sam L. for most of what I needed to replace and had no problems. I will probably head there tomorrow or Saturday as I still need a mattress for myself.

Tucson rocks!
You done unpacking? Can we talk with you again?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 PM

415 posts, read 1,682,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You done unpacking? Can we talk with you again?

LOL, I have been "gone" a bit, eh? Hardly done un-packing. Brought wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much stuff. Hope to be done by next week.

Psulions is probably done...........

Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 PM

529 posts, read 2,395,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojulybabies View Post
..Hope to be done by next week...
Lol!

Psulions2007 I give a thumbs up to Nico's. Their carne asada chimichanga is fantastic as are their 3 rolled tacos with cheese & guacamole.

If you're digging the Mexican food be sure to hit up Guadalajara Grill on Price/Campbell.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:19 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,869 times
Psulions..I just got here about a month ago..except for cars driving so close to my bumper that I think they want to be in my backseat..I am really loving it here. I also bought my couch from sam levitz..
twojulybabies...I am not done unpacking. At this point I just do not care. I just piled it up in my garage. I have been enjoying the summer. I guess I need to get to it at some point. My daughter is back to school. I have not found a job..so I guess I need to get to the boxes!!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 PM

602 posts, read 2,065,211 times
Good observations, psulions2007.

Man, a couple of the Mexican restaurants you've hit up though, are truly mediocre at best. I'm speaking of La Salsa and Rubio's.

As far as Mexican fast food is concerned, Nico's is good. I actually prefer Los Betos myself, and there are quite a few of them around too.

But, for the absolute best taco I have ever eaten, you'll have to venture to South Tucson (perfectly safe during the daytime), and go to Pico de Gallo Taqueria on 6th Ave (near I-10). They have shrimp tacos (they're better on the flour tortillas) that are unbelievable. I mean exquisite. You wouldn't imagine a taco could taste like that. And cheap too.

Anyway, welcome to Tucson. Many of us love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson