Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 PM

6 posts, read 43,053 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to Tucson in the next few months and would like to know which is the best area to try to find a home. I work from home so traffic is not an issue. Would like to find the safest area possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 15,373 times
I currently live in the Marana/Cortaro suburb of Tucson and--knowing people from all parts of the city--I can safely tell you its the nicest, safest, and most family-friendly part of town.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie788 View Post
Hi, I am moving to Tucson in the next few months and would like to know which is the best area to try to find a home. I work from home so traffic is not an issue. Would like to find the safest area possible. Thanks!
Good question, Blackie . . . but kinda tough to answer without knowing what type of place, other than safe, and how much you plan to spend.

Good Luck

Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 AM

Default Best area

My apologies, I should have stated that. I'd like to find something in the 150,000 to 200,000 range. Again, thanks for your help. It's tough when you don't know anyone (that you can trust, meaning realtors, LOL) to ask.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
My apologies, I should have stated that. I'd like to find something in the 150,000 to 200,000 range. Again, thanks for your help. It's tough when you don't know anyone (that you can trust, meaning realtors, LOL) to ask.
Getting closer, Blackie . . .

If land is not a big issue, Patio Homes are a great way to go. I'm very happy with mine (about 1400 Sq Ft with 3 Bedrooms and 2 Baths) which is very conveniently located (walking distance to just about everything) near the Tucson Mall. However, if you need or want land, with that budget you will probably need to search further out in the suburbs . . . maybe better for kids but not as much for singles.

I sure hope this helps.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:13 PM

415 posts, read 1,681,333 times
Quote:
It's tough when you don't know anyone (that you can trust, meaning realtors, LOL) to ask.

Hey now. But I do know your frustration! There are many realtors that I can't believe even have licenses!!

A quick search of the MLS that I did for the East side (My preference and neck of the woods) shows over 160 properties. Perhaps to narrow it down you could tell us bedrooms/bathrooms/ pool?/1 story, etc. I guess what I am asking...is what would your dream house look like for what you want?

Thee are many nice areas in Tucson! Another question that comes to mind is: what is your definition of safe? It really is a perspective thing.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 PM

529 posts, read 2,393,983 times
Some helpful older posts:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...sing-area.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...on-tucson.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...ve-tucson.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...ng-tucson.html

Crime questions:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...me-survey.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...is-tucson.html

Also if you would like to see some housing options take a look at the Tucson MLS website.

p.s. Us Realtors aren't all bad.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 PM

Default Tucson area, sorry to the agents!

Ugh, I feel terrible about the agent statement--I worked for a lovely woman who was a multimillion-dollar producer and she had more integrity in her little finger than most folks have in their family. Having written that, I also have two agents in my immediate FAMILY who I would not trust to sell a candy bar for me, sadly. So, I have seen both extremes and know that times are desperate.

Okay, onto the facts. I have no kids, would like some space. My idea of safe is not getting mugged going to check the mailbox. I'd like to feel safe in my home, in other words. I am cautious, having lived in a city during the time it had the nation's highest murder rate per capita, and I don't mind if I have to find a place on the outskirts if need be. I'd like to know what areas to avoid, if at all possible. Many thanks to the kind person who took the time to post the links to other threads; I have read so many (unfortunately, many of them turned into reasons not to move to the city), and finally decided to try to ask (in my bass-ackwards indirect way). Sorry about that and again, thanks for your help and pardon my realtor comment, please!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:05 PM

Default Thanks Michael

Through the links you put up I found this: SpotCrime - Know Your Neighborhood (http://www.spotcrime.com/az/tucson. - broken link)

Boy, that's an eye opener. How is south of town anybody?

Old 11-30-2008, 08:06 PM

Unfortunately, Blackie . . . Realtors are no better or no worse than any other group of individuals. There are even honest and ethical Used Car Salesmen but the perception is definitely not quite so positive. I am certain Michael and the other Real Estate Agents on here understand and probably agree with your frustrations.

Back to the original topic . . . for the better locations in Tucson it is best to avoid areas South of Speedway but there are definite exceptions to that rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson