Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:07 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,194 times

Advertisements

It looks like someone stole something from the Circle K by my house on 6/27

Ooooh, I better get my gun out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 02:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
I started wondering if these maps lull me into too much perceived "safety." While the areas North of River and East of Houghton fall mostly in the county and the crime there is not supposed to show on the city maps, I live East of Houghton and the neighborhood is still in the city, but it always shows as blank as the above-mentioned parts.

I found these county maps, but they're not intuitive and done by areas and I don't feel like playing with them. If anybody else does, here they are:

http://crimemapping.pimasheriff.org/

Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
people that arent trained to use a firearm are as likely to shoot themselves or a loved one as the bad guy. do you think everyone would be better off if we were all packing side arms like in the old west? some families dont want a gun in the house, even if they have a place to lock it up. that doesnt make them liberal or conservative, its an individual descision. a security system, lots of exterior lighting around the house, and a loud dog barking will scare criminals off. guns arent the only deterrent to home break ins. criminals look for the easiest targets.

Home Security
I agree with your first sentence. People should have a license/permit to carry/use a gun. Whose going to tell that to the 'Bad Guy'? As far as the Old West, why is Arizona one of several states which now allows citizens to "pack a sidearm"? Any person/family who doesn't want a gun in the house has that choice. Then there's the Second Amendment. Motion detectors are good for finding dogs, cats and anything else that can set them off. A criminal can spot the red light from a so called 'hidden camera' or the outline of exterior lighting before he gets on the property. Like some people do, you could pay the electric company all night and show the Bad Guy where NOT to go. You'd have to spend a lot of money on dog food for a dog not to be distracted from his duties by a tasty piece of meat. And the barking gets so mundane that nobody pays attention. True, without any of the above the criminal thinks he has an easy target, until he hears the shucking of a 12 gauge shotgun. Actually, a twin shot Derringer is good enough if he's inside already.

But finally, I think it highly inappropriate to advertise an 18 page site about Home Security in a post where people are invoking the First Amendment when there are hundreds such sites available for anyone whose interested. In this economy, I wonder how many people are willing to spend hundreds even thousands of dollars on such systems when with a little training there is a much cheaper alternative. Maybe you'd like to lobby in Washington against the NRA. Even easier, bring up the City-Data Forum for Gaffney, SC. and post your Home Security paraphernalia on there. Those poor people are ready to buy anything!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 PM

263 posts, read 251,178 times
I don't think I could sleep at night if there was not a gun in the house. But, I don't have any kids. Never had to use it, but I know how to, because I learned to. A girlfriend and I were coming back from SD at night, and a car full of men tried to force us off the road on the highway. This was the first time I ever took the gun out of my house, except to fire it. Sure, glad I had it! All I had to do was hold it up to the window, and they beat it out there faster than Speedy Gonzalez. It's a big gun. The Louisville slugger and the Shih Tzu would not have been of much help in that situation.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:43 PM

263 posts, read 251,178 times
There is a big difference between burglars who break into empty cars and houses. They aren't planning on killing anyone. They hope no one is home, or that no one shows up to catch them. One of our rights as Americans, is the right to bear arms. I don't mean to get a tan. HaHa. Those of us that choose to protect ourselves are more concerned with someone who is out to invade our home or property, or hurt or kill someone. Something far more serious than petty burglars stealing from empty cars and houses.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,028 times
As a teenager, I can recall 4 separate instances when there was someone in our backyard trying to get into the house.

Each one of these ended in no items stolen and no one hurt because my father and/or myself went out back, gun in hand, to talk them out of it.

Once the old lady that lived down the street called my dad and told him someone was in her backyard and that he was trying to get through a window. My dad called the police. They said 10 minutes. He said it would be over by then. Dispatcher asked what he meant. My father replied that he was armed and hung up the phone. A squad cars siren was heard within 10 seconds and officers were on scene within 2 minutes.

Being armed, gets results!

Luckily as an adult, I've not had the need for one - but I've got them - just in case.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:35 PM

35 posts, read 175,651 times
All this talk about guns - well, for a while, now, I've thought about learning to use one properly. Any of those in the know here want to suggest a good place in midtown to learn?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:12 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triskele View Post
All this talk about guns - well, for a while, now, I've thought about learning to use one properly. Any of those in the know here want to suggest a good place in midtown to learn?
Marksman Pistol - Courses

Training at Diamondback Police Supply Co, Inc

Diamondback is probably my first choice for the CCW class - though Marksman has more types of courses to offer. Both are reputable firearms dealers.

Marksman gets the advantage of having an indoor range at both locations, where you can actually shoot. Diamondback, if you get any hands-on at all, will have to go offsite.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:51 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
I definitely believe in the American right to bear arms.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM

83 posts, read 219,989 times
Personally, for home protection I'd go with a shotgun over a handgun, because
a.) from what I've read, less chance of the shot penetrating the wall and injuring/killing others (i.e. family members or people in another apartment).
b.) slightly easier to hit the target due to scatter of pellets, even at close range.
c.) packs a much bigger punch (I have read that a blast from a 12 gauge is energy-equivalent to a nine shot burst from a sub-machine gun).
d.) and let's not forget that universally feared sound of a shotgun being cycled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson