Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,806 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm hoping someone (anyone!) can help me with information/opinions on a major decision I have coming up. I'm a recent college graduate and after months of job hunting with no bites, I was offered two jobs within a week of each other! One is located in Boulder, CO and the other is in Tucson, AZ.

The position in Tucson would have a sightly higher salary and responsibilities. I'm weary of taking it because I'm a Michigan girl who's used to snow and leafy trees, not the desert and cactus. Hello all,
I'm hoping someone (anyone!) can help me with information/opinions on a major decision I have coming up. I'm a recent college graduate and after months of job hunting with no bites, I was offered two jobs within a week of each other! One is located in Boulder, CO and the other is in Tucson, AZ.

The position in Tucson would have a sightly higher salary and responsibilities. I'm weary of taking it because I'm a Michigan girl who's used to snow and leafy trees, not the desert and cactus. Plus, from what I've been told Boulder is very liberal and outdoor oriented, which is perfect for me.

I have to giving my acceptance to one of them within the next week or so. I've never been to the Southwest, so any opinions would be extremely helpful!

Thanks,
A

I have to giving my acceptance to one of them within the next week or so. I've never been to the Southwest, so any opinions would be extremely helpful!

Thanks,
A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:23 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
No Brainer, aschmidt . . . TUCSON!

The weather, the cost of living and, above all, the "cow town" ambiance makes Tucson the winner.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:49 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,607 times
I am originally from the midwest, have now been is AZ for 30 years! I think you will find the cost of living is significantly higher in Boulder. Salary.com's Cost of Living Wizard Tool

Politically while Tucson is more liberal than many parts of Arizona, Boulder is a mecca of liberalism. If that is a factor for you it might be something to consider.

Both are great college towns. I know people that live in both areas and love where they live. But I prefer not having to own an ice scraper . When I want some snow it's a short drive up to Mount Lemon. Mount Lemmon Ski Valley

Best of luck wherever you go!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 AM

209 posts, read 590,063 times
Even if you don't end up liking Tucson, nothing is forever. The Tucson job sounds like the better career opportunity, so that should win out here. If you don't end up liking the desert, then 2-3 years down the road you can use your experience to get a job somewhere more to your liking.

You will find few places more liberal than a small college town. But if finding liberal-minded people is a priority, you won't have trouble finding them in Tucson, a generally Democratic metro area of 1 million people. Just so you know, politically and culturally, Tucson is a mixed bag. On one hand, it is home to a flagship state university, like Boulder. But it's also a military town, not only of active duty military folks, but of a lot of military retirees as well. The city is 25-30% Mexican-American, who tend to be more conservative culturally (abortion, gay issues, etc.) but liberal/Democratic on everything else.

If you're interested in the outdoors, Tucson and Arizona offer many opportunities. For one thing, the mild climate means that spending time outside is possible year-round. Even in the summer, early mornings and sunset are mild enough to jog, golf, or whatever. Although Tucson is in the desert, it's also surrounded by mountains that offer trails for hiking and skiing (there's a ski resort 45 minutes from the center of the city) and pine forests.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
I've lived in both and for me it would be Tucson, hands down. I really don't like Boulder. Traffic is a nightmare, there's quite a bit of crime, there's a big-time "we're better than everyone else" attitude, and lots of flashy money. It's very liberal, which to me is good, but still I don't like the feel of it.

Tucson has a great outdoors scene, without the harsh winters, there are liberal folk but also people of all different mindsets and beliefs (I personally prefer the mix to Boulder's one size fits all, even if I'm that size!). Many areas of Tucson and surrounding areas (Oro Valley to name one) are very safe.

In the end, only you can decide. I'd agree with the above poster though that you should go w/the best job opportunity at this age. If you don't like it, you can always leave, but the better your job position in the future, the better situated you'll be to have more options.

If it were me though--I'd choose Tucson!! (oh, but the skiing outside Tucson? OK, let's be honest, if you want skiing do not go to Tucson!)

Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
I'd be careful about assuming that Tucson is all that liberal, either. There continue to be many conservative people living in Arizona, which very much includes Tucson, who still appreciate and hold to good "old-fashioned" values. They love what the Constitution was originally intended for; they support the military; they understand the importance of marriage between one man and one woman; there are both men and women here who uphold the sanctity of life.

There are many Tucsonans who consider liberalism an attack on the American way of life. They don't believe that judges should change a people's vote. They don't believe that core values should be overturned by changing laws in order to fit people's leanings. Be careful about putting Tucson in a box.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:46 PM

14 posts, read 27,796 times
A couple factors that slanted my own decision to AZ from CO: 1. Perhaps ironically, it is more dry in CO, due to the altitude. The skin and lips on people there are just tore up and cracked from what I've seen. (I know, small issue, but just saying.) 2. IMO too democratic, with the "Greek Column" DNC events, marches, hippies, and cultish kids seen running around the airport with Obama shrines. Tucson is democratic, but more balanced IMO. (parenthetically it seems Obama is trying very hard to win over AZ, speaking at ASU next month.)
3. Snow. F. snow. so over it. never again.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
I'd go with the best job for you at this point in your life....plan ahead....which job will help you out most long-term??

both towns are very outdoorsy, liberal-ish, college-oriented.....obviously, it's "cooler" to tell your friends you live in Boulder....Boulder will be more expensive.....Denver is near Boulder for whatever that's worth....Tucson is a little older-feeling, more stable....

Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Boulder (I live part of the year in CO) is also known as "The People's Republic of Boulder". It's VERY liberal; think granola and Birkenstocks. There's some great shopping such as the Pearl Street Mall, the University of Colorado and some veddy, veddy upscale neighborhoods. People there can be snooty, and it's a very "green" town. On the other hand, there is affordable housing to be found, especially in the University area. It's about a 1/2 hour drive down Hwy 36 to Denver, so you've got that close by, and there are the Flatiron mountains to the west. There are ample outdoor areas, hiking trails, biking trails, and a general sense that nature rules. It is very laid back if you're in the university area, but like most places, including Tucson, there are many upscale areas, too. The climate is dry, but you will have four seasons. Fall is spectacular in Boulder and Colorado in general.

Tucson's climate doesn't change much except for temperatures which fluctuate between 60-100. There is no fall, little spring and mostly summer. No snow like Boulder, no distinct seasons, but a lot of people like that. Tucson is about three times larger than Boulder and not as close to Phoenix as Boulder is to Denver. Both are university towns, but Tucson is less expensive. Tucson also has much more culture and history than Boulder does if that interests you. There is so much to see and do in the Boulder/Denver area, you're likely never to be bored. Tucson is somewhat limited in that respect.

Boulder has very little, if any crime. Tucson does, but a lot of that is its size and proximity to the Mexican Border. It also depends on what parts of each town you choose to live in. There are also quite a few smaller towns around Boulder like Louisville, Niwot, Superior, and Lafayette which may be more affordable as they're quite small, but still somewhat bedroom communities for Boulder.

Boulder will be much closer to the temperatures, climate, and type of liberal people you're used to. Tucson is a very poorly run (lousy city council), very hot in the summer, dry, desert like environment. So, it really depends on whether you want to try something new, or go with something which is more of what your're accustomed. I'd do research on both.

City of Boulder, Colorado -- Official Web Site - Home Page

Official Tucson Travel Information Guide Website

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson