Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,839 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm originally from NC, living in one of those overpriced cities out West, and might be moving back home in a year or 2. Maybe 3 at the most.I don't see prices here coming down here enough, which is why I'm waiting to see what will happen first. That said, my home area along with some of the surrounding states are being inundated with retirees and people from up North and ironically- from where I live now.. This is starting to jack the prices there and if things keep up at this pace, my own home state will also be overpriced.

I have a few friends in Tulsa. They like it quite a bit. I've done some research about it and it seems to have a unique character and interesting culture. I myself am sort of a Mutt when it comes to what I prefer. I like dirt track racing right along with going to art museums. I enjoy BBQ and Grits as well as Japanese food. I sometimes go to church but also don't.

I'm used to hot, humid weather as someone from the South. I did live in New Hampshire for awhile, and I can't say I like extremely cold, long winters. But cold is ok as long as it isn't 6 months out off the year.

Me and my wife aren't picky. We don't have kids, nor want any. So where we live isn't dependent on schools and such. I generally get along with most people.I don't focus on trying to be around people" Just like me". I truly appreciate regional culture. I also get the feeling that people in Tulsa might be kind of like people where I grew up, which means they don't mind saying hello and helping you change a spare tire.

This is a super-generic post. But I was wondering what some of your takes are on it and the surrounding areas. What's the weather like? Are you all also getting tons of retirees and 'investors' buying up housing? What are some uniquely Tulsa/Oklahoma things? If any of you have lived in other places, what would you say sticks out in your mind as being different? Also, what is the general price you can find a decent place, as in smaller, older, 2 bedroom homes? We kind of like older neighborhoods or areas kind of rural within 30 minutes of town.

I kind of wonder if Tulsa is one off those cities off the radar for many but is actually a really cool place to live. Again- I know nothing about it as I've never been there. Thanks for all the info in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 12:25 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
http://www.riverparks.org/images/myporch.jpg (broken link)

I like Tulsa a lot, and it's reflected in my many posts about the city. I think it is unique, because of it's location (kind of a middle ground) and attractions that you generally don't see in a city of it's size. The weather is hot and humid in the summer, beautifully cool/crisp in the Fall, with Winters that have a little bit of everything and are not too brutal. Tulsa is on the same latitude of many NC cities so the weather will be similar. The people are very friendly, the cost of living is relatively low, and there are loads of older neighborhoods that have that charm you can only find in established areas that have been around for a generation or two. It's not too big, nor is it too small. As Goldilocks would say, "Tulsa is just right.."

In my opinion, it is and has been "off the radar" for many years. Tulsa, like OkC is entering a renaissance of sorts with urban revitalization due to vision2025. It's also a laid back city that has more of a jazz/blues feel to it than many cities in the region.

I also love the architecture in Tulsa. I'm a big fan of architecture and the oil millionaires that poured money into downtown Tulsa and the surrounding areas did the city a great favor and created some truly historic places.

The surrounding area is also very nice with rolling hills and lots and lots of trees and the whole area is green and lush, which I prefer.

The thread below has a few pictures recently posted of the area.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tulsa...ea-photos.html

An LA Times article with Tulsa at number 10 on the list of "unsung cities full of surprise."

Unsung cities full of surprises: Los Angeles Times Travel

There's also Mayfest, the Blue Dome Festival, and Oktoberfest - voted the second best city to celebrate Oktoberfest in the US, right behind Columbus, Ohio.

AskMen.com - Oktoberfest in America

"It's a surprising spot for Oktoberfest, but there are few cities that host a better German festival than Tulsa. In fact, Bon Appetit magazine calls it one of the top German food festivals in the U.S. and USA Today included the city in its list of Top 10 places in the world to celebrate Oktoberfest."

Tulsa Oktoberfest 2007

Places to visit include the Philbrook Museum of Art, Gilcrease Museum, the Riverparks along the Arkansas River, Cherry Street, Brookside, Turkey Mountain, Chandler Park (http://www.parks.tulsacounty.org/Chandler.aspx - broken link), the Tulsa Zoo, Keystone Lake, Woodward Park, Mohawk Park, Central Park, the Tulsa Performing Arts Center, the Oxley Nature Center, the Port of Catoosa, just outside of Tulsa (16 miles from downtown) is one of the nation's furthest inland sea ports, and much more.

They are also building the iconic BoK Arena downtown, a several hundred million dollar sports and convention venue that will seat close to 19,000 people. This state of the art facility will be one of the top arenas in the country (as far as innovative design) when finished in 2008 (2009?).

You should give the place a visit when you get the chance; that's the only real way to tell if you get a good vibe from the area. Good luck!

BTW, I like North Carolina - it's one of my favorite states. It has everything, beaches, mountains, coastal plains, etc. It's also very popular and is getting a lot of transplants, which can be good and bad..

Last edited by Synopsis; 06-18-2007 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Synopsis's post is right on. I am originally from California, but lived in Tulsa from 1993-1999. I fell in love with it, still have tons of friends there, and consider it to be a second home to me to this day!

I feel Tulsa is like a well kept secret. It has alot to offer and, although it does have culture and nightlife, is unpretentious. It's a pretty town and has AMAZING architecture. (Like Synopsis, I'm a "fan". )

Also, if you grow bored of T-Town, OKC is only 1.5 hours away, Kansas City is 3, and Dallas 4. But you'll find plenty to do right there in town!

Old 06-18-2007, 04:05 PM

Hey guys,
I sure appreciate it. "Off the radar" is what we're sort of seeking. As mentioned, everyone thinks NC is the best place on earth right now.Our 2nd choice is Nashville, TN. But it too is also getting a bit too popular for comfort. A 'decent' place there is edging up towards 200k... which isn't too expensive, but it isn't great either.We have 2 more years and then we're getting out of where we live now.If these places too are priced out, I like the idea of having other options. Tulsa, Memphis, and Atlanta are some. I have relatives in Memphis, which was a city I always liked.It has MORE crime than Tulsa, but it didn't bother me or the relatives. You just stayed out of those areas. I hear this same reputation for Tulsa. I assume that's why people aren't flocking to it, which again is fine with me.

Actually, I've been thinking about Tulsa for a few years now. I kind of like that whole Oklahoma, Texas feel. Anyhow, here's another sort of vague question.I work as a Graphic Designer. Where I live now, work is pretty easy to come by. In Nashville it would be as well since there's the music industry and all. But I'm not sure about Tulsa.I realize this is a specialized field. Just by chance, if anyone knows about whether the prospects for this kind of work would be available in Tulsa would be appreciated.

Anyhow, NC had somewhat weird winters. Sometimes it'd be 65 outside in Dec, and others it was 10 degrees in March. The last few years have been mild. Since NC and OK are on the same level, is it correct to mention this kind of weather as being similar to Tulsa?

Lastly, I've heard that OK actually has an amazing variety of geographical features. What would you say are some interesting natural places and parks?

I really appreciate the advice guys.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:30 PM

Do a career search using several of the websites available. You may not get a job that way but you'll certainly be able to get a good idea of the jobs that are available. I did a search on Graphic Design for Tulsa and hardly anything came up, but I could have been looking under the wrong category. They might classify the profession under "Web Design" or something like that in the Tulsa area. It could very well be that graphic designers just aren't in high demand in the area; I wouldn't sugarcoat it for you. I do know there are lots of engineering positions, part of that has to do with the petroleum industry, which still has a large presence in the area. But, it's also because Tulsa is an aviation hub, with American Airlines maintenance center there as well as several telecommunications companies. I'm sure there are graphic design positions, they might just be more difficult to find.

Oklahoma weather, and specifically Tulsa, is very similar to NC. You can be wearing shorts on Christmas and be in sub-zero temps the next week. Usually the bad stuff doesn't last very long though.

Regarding the variety of geographical features; you are correct. The snippet below is from a Wikipedia article on Oklahoma.

"According to the EPA, Oklahoma has the most diverse terrain in the United States. [8] The EPA recognizes Oklahoma as one of only four U.S. states to have more than 10 distinct ecological regions, with 11 within its borders. The high number of ecoregions coupled with the state's relative size and a drastic change in climate progressively from the northwest to southeast makes each Oklahoma region greatly distinctive from the next."

The ecoregions are further defined on the EPA website. You can download high resolutions of the ecoregions, their boundaries, and their definitions, at the following website:

EPA-Ecoregions of Oklahoma

Here is a map with the designated areas:

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/_borders/ecoregn.jpg (broken link)

And definitions:

Black Mesa Rocky Mountain foothills
Western High Plains Shortgrass prairie
Southwestern Tablelands Shinnery oak scrub
Central Great Plains Mixed grass prairie
Flint Hills Tallgrass prairie
Central Oklahoma/Texas Plains Crosstimbers
Central Irregular Plains Tallgrass prairie; caves
Ozark Highlands Oak hickory forests
Arkansas Valley Prairie; bottomland hardwood forest
Ouachita Mountains Prairie savanna; moist hardwood forest
South Central Plains Moist forest; cypress swamps
Big River Large, wide sandy river

Weather varies greatly from the Northwestern tip of the state to the Southeast as well. The Northwestern area of Oklahoma receives only 15 inches of rain annually, while the southeastern portion receives (I think) around 45 inches of rain per year.

Below are the climate zones for the US so you can compare. As you can see, OK and NC are very similar.

http://http://www.exquisite-gardens.com/hardinesszonemapbystate.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Synopsis; 06-18-2007 at 05:53 PM..

Old 06-18-2007, 05:50 PM

http://www.blossomswap.com/images/zone.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 PM

Old 06-19-2007, 06:10 AM

12 posts, read 45,143 times
Hi,
I agree that you should plan on visiting Tulsa. I think you will find a wonderful city to move to. I love it here and like I have said before I have lived in enough places that I feel comfortable giving an informed suggestion.

I noticed you said that Atlanta might be a choice. I lived in Grayson which is about 40'ish miles from Atlanta. The area is a beautiful area. The landscaping in the smaller communities around Atlanta are magnificent. The only problem I had and I loved living there is that you had to drive forever to get anywhere. Grayson/Lawrencevile/Snellville butt up to each other. When we first moved there in 2000 there were about 10 sub divisions to choose from and when we moved in 2004 there were probably 50-60 subdivisions to choose from. Ours was one of the least expensive and our homes were right at 200K. It is a very congested area even in the Burbs, but a beautiful area to live in.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:46 AM

Thanks again for the advice guys. I did a few searches for graphic design jobs.To say the least, the pickings were pretty slim. The real estate seems insanely affordable, but if the career choices for me are slim, then none of that matters.
To me, most metros seem to have fairly similar amenities. But I like the idea of Tulsa because it seems kind of centrally located between many other cities. I also like the architecture.

That aside, we're still in the very early stages of planning. Now that we're in the "we're leaving this overprices hell-hole" camp, it seems like there are a LOT of people doing the same thing. So we're hoping we can do this right. Luckily, it does seem like real estate is slowing even in some of the popular re-lo states. I guess some of those people wanting to move there can't sell their homes up north. We don't have that problem since we rent.

Anyhow, I'll keep in touch and see what happens out there. 2 years to go!

Old 06-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Try these sliverbox.. It really depends on where you look. The link below is to the Tulsa World classifieds. At least there are a few graphic design jobs there. I presume some of the local job sites might fare better than Monster or HotJobs, which I find increasingly useless these days..

tulsaworldjobs.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa