Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:31 AM

69 posts, read 128,408 times

Advertisements

No, I don't want it to be ruined and I don't think Austin has been ruined either. There are both good and bad things that come with a city becoming popular. So far, I've only heard very good things about Austin, especially with the thriving film industry. Will Tulsa ever become as popular? I have no idea. But even if it did, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing.

And yes, the cost of living would go up because of more people. More people = more money. That's just how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 12:41 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
Austin's "downfall" stems from attracting Californians in large numbers from Silicon Valley. Of course, they drive up prices but they drive up prices wherever they go. It's like swarms of locusts taking out crops. Austin has a large State U that doesn't help as Austin has always been the liberal Capitol of Texas as well as the actual one.

Tulsa doesn't have that going for it. Much of the growth in Tulsa has been in higher paying blue collar jobs in energy equipment manufacturing and a growing engineering firm base. These workers are usually pretty conservative and the ones that are fleeing CA that come here usually don't want to bring anything with them other than the food quality and culture. The population growth in Tulsa is also heavily Asian and Hispanic, again, not usually cultures that are concerned with protecting sub-sub-sub-species of beetles that are found on that square mile of land and not any different than the other beetles around them. Tulsa's city council seems to be content growing organically and playing to our strengths rather than what every other city has to offer.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallenfranchise View Post
Please be careful what you wish for. I have heard Austin natives say the same thing about their city. Now, it is the fastest growing city in the U.S. and their southern culture that they are proud of has been significantly diluted. Austin natives now complain and wish people stop moving there. Unfortunately, they won't. Within another decade, it will be the "San Francisco of Texas." People are already paying $300,000 for a 1200 sqft home in a moderate neighborhood. Austin has went from being the "mid-size city with a small town feel" to big city status (ranked now as the #11 biggest city) in less than a decade. Is that what you want for Tulsa?

It all starts with people talking and then too many people talking. Once the "word" is on the street, then it starts to appear all over newspapers and TV. Then, the city gets popular from the enormous amounts of publicity and then that's when it happens -- people will pay almost anything to live in your city. When that happens, you can...

Say goodbye to Tulsa's low cost of living

Say goodbye to Tulsa's culture. I see all of these arguments whether Tulsa is southern, midwestern, or southwestern. After the population boom, you natives will be even more confused about the city's culture.

and the list goes on

Most transplants move to new cities because of the city's diversity and/or uniqueness. However, there is this habit among transplants that prompts them to change things about your city because they feel that they can make it better. And then eventually, Tulsa becomes a city that they no longer desire and they get up to move elsewhere only to do it again. They ultimately ruin your city and leave you to deal with the mess.

Is that what you want for Tulsa?
I think your admonition is legitimate. Good post.

Tulsa and OKC (all of Oklahoma, for that matter) should be careful with opening the floodgates. Once the mass transplantation begins, there's no going back. Austin is a good example.

Oklahoma's greatest asset is its people, its laid back culture and down-home feel. Folks that come from a different culture (primarily say, the Northeast, Midwest, and far West) will dilute much of what makes Oklahoma distinct and special.

Food for thought.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:31 PM

181 posts, read 305,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Austin's "downfall" stems from attracting Californians in large numbers from Silicon Valley. Of course, they drive up prices but they drive up prices wherever they go. It's like swarms of locusts taking out crops.
True.

Quote:
Much of the growth in Tulsa has been in higher paying blue collar jobs in energy equipment manufacturing and a growing engineering firm base. These workers are usually pretty conservative and the ones that are fleeing CA that come here usually don't want to bring anything with them other than the food quality and culture.

I do remember Dallas being like that a decade ago. Dallas was always known as a conservative city. Now, Dallas is barely conservative. The huge influx of transplants have almost turn the city liberal.

I remember my grandfather telling me the times when Miami (FL) was actually southern and conservative. It didn't take long (about 12 years) before all of that changed. Now, pretty much south of the Florida Panhandle is not culturally southern anymore and it has remained that way for a long time. I doubt if Miami will ever have that southern culture again.

I am sure that there is a minority of transplants who will move to enjoy Tulsa for what it is and nothing more. I think you're giving the majority of transplants the benefit of the doubt though. That's nice of you but history tells a different story.

Quote:
The population growth in Tulsa is also heavily Asian and Hispanic, again, not usually cultures that are concerned with protecting sub-sub-sub-species of beetles that are found on that square mile of land and not any different than the other beetles around them.
Beetles? Is that Tulsa talk? You lost me when you start talking about insects.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I think your admonition is legitimate. Good post.

Tulsa and OKC (all of Oklahoma, for that matter) should be careful with opening the floodgates. Once the mass transplantation begins, there's no going back. Austin is a good example.

Oklahoma's greatest asset is its people, its laid back culture and down-home feel. Folks that come from a different culture (primarily say, the Northeast, Midwest, and far West) will dilute much of what makes Oklahoma distinct and special.

Food for thought.

It sounds better when it is coming from an Okie like yourself.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:45 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k
Austin's "downfall" stems from attracting Californians in large numbers from Silicon Valley. Of course, they drive up prices but they drive up prices wherever they go. It's like swarms of locusts taking out crops.

Quote:
True.

Quote:

howest2008.....I disagree Californian flocked to Austin TX because it was as
desirable and LIBERAL as California is , and of course because it is A World Class City ( None of
which Tulsa OK is ),,
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k
Much of the growth in Tulsa has been in higher paying blue collar jobs in energy equipment manufacturing and a growing engineering firm base. These workers are usually pretty conservative and the ones that are fleeing CA that come here usually don't want to bring anything with them other than the food quality and culture.

Quote:

howest2008.....The only reason why Californian come to Tulsa OK is FAMILY , retirement , A JOB....

I do remember Dallas being like that a decade ago. Dallas was always known as a conservative city. Now, Dallas is barely conservative. The huge influx of transplants have almost turn the city liberal.

[quote]howest2008...That not true Dallas TX hasn't been Conservative since J.F. Kennedy
was killed there

I remember my grandfather telling me the times when Miami (FL) was actually southern and conservative. It didn't take long (about 12 years) before all of that changed. Now, pretty much south of the Florida Panhandle is not culturally southern anymore

Quote:
howest2008....Urban Florida hasn't been Southern for 60 to 70 years...
and it has remained that way for a long time. I doubt if Miami will ever have that southern culture again.

I am sure that there is a minority of transplants who will move to enjoy Tulsa for what it is and nothing more. I think you're giving the majority of transplants the benefit of the doubt though. That's nice of you but history tells a different story.

Beetles? Is that Tulsa talk? You lost me when you start talking about insects.[/quote]

Howest2008 He's talking about Environmentalist ......

Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I disagree Californian flocked to Austin TX because it was as
desirable and LIBERAL as California is , and of course because it is A World Class City ( None of
which Tulsa OK is
Austin wasn't always a world class city but it did eventually with the huge influx of transplants. Any city has the potential. Although, I prefer not to tell the whole world while they should move to Tulsa.

Austin has some similarities but is not as liberal as California. The state of California is one of the worst states for people to do business. Austin is pro business and only became that under the influence of a conservative state. Texas is in the top 5 for having the lowest unemployment rates (California is in the top 10 of the highest unemployment rate).

Quote:
That not true Dallas TX hasn't been Conservative since J.F. Kennedy
was killed there
Your statement is quite a stretch but I will agree that it was conservative during the JFK area.

Quote:
Urban Florida hasn't been Southern for 60 to 70 years...
I think you misunderstood the point. My grandfather said that the CHANGE itself took about 12 years. He didn't say that it happened 12 years ago. The point is that it doesn't take a lot of time for a city to lose its identity.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:22 PM

Default I Agree On One Point

Quote:
Austin wasn't always a world class city but it did eventually with the huge influx of transplants. Any city has the potential. Although, I prefer not to tell the whole world while they should move to Tulsa.

Quote:
\howest2008....Austin TX WAS Always a well respected American city in CA and the nation as a whole, Tulsa OK is not.
\
\
Austin has some similarities but is not as liberal as California. The state of California is one of the worst states for people to do business. Austin is pro business and only became that under the influence of a conservative state. Texas is in the top 5 for having the lowest unemployment rates (California is in the top 10 of the highest unemployment rate).

Quote:
howest2008.....There are only a hand full of California cities more liberal than (Austin TX) LA, S.F. Oakland
(San Diego,San Jose,Sacramento are not as liberal as Austin TX)|

California has a very anti-business climate because of high Tax's and Red Tape it's sort of like a high
price Prostitute who charges $10.000 a night but still manage to have Clients.

California high unemployment rate is cause by it's Great Weather, Topography, Beaches 40,000,000
people looking for JOBS

Your statement is quite a stretch but I will agree that it was conservative during the JFK area.

I think you misunderstood the point. My grandfather said that the CHANGE itself took about 12 years. He didn't say that it happened 12 years ago. The point is that it doesn't take a lot of time for a city to lose its identity.

howest2008.....the different between Urban Florida and Tulsa OK is that the people of NEW YORK CITY
love southern florida and Hate Tulsa OK.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
[/b]

howest2008.....the different between Urban Florida and Tulsa OK is that the people of NEW YORK CITY
love southern florida and Hate Tulsa OK.
For bonafied Okies, that's music to our ears.

Could you be so kind to pass it on to the Californians as well?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:03 AM

Default I'm Going To Come Out Of The Closet I Agree With Goodpastor And BassCatfish2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
For bonafied Okies, that's music to our ears.

Could you be so kind to pass it on to the Californians as well?
I'm Going To Come Out Of The Closet I Agree With Goodpastor And BassCatfish2008 Keeping folks
out of Oklahoma who want to turn it's cites OKC and Tulsa into LA/S.F. That's HyperBole
those two cities will never ever ever ever ever somehow turn into LA/S.F.

I don't want OKC and Tulsa becoming like California Liberal Cities , but your error is that
California already has cities like OKC and Tulsa in the " Big Valley " Bakersfield, Fresno,
Visalia, Merced, Modesto, Stockton, Sacramento, Redding.....LOL(FOMC) Falling Out Of My Chair...

Most of the good folks of California hate even the though of living in those " Places "
but I could very easily live in any of those cities'towns.

I can live anywhere because I'm smack dab in the middle/not left wing/right wing nuts...

Take this from me people in California aren't thinking about Tulsa OK I have lived here 35
years..... howest2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield,_California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresno,_California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento,_California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesto,_California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton,_California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redding,_California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced,_California

I'm going to the BIG VALLEY THURSDAY you all take care you hear.....

Last edited by Howest2008; 05-28-2014 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa