Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:47 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times

Advertisements

I can't really say much more, Stillwater, Swake, and Sparkman pretty much accurately covered it. But I did want to add, that midtown extending all the way past South Tulsa, West and Southwest Tulsa has an incredible urban forest. I have close friends at 106th and Joplin, not far from where you're looking. It's so quiet you feel like your in the country. And this tree canopy effects goes on for miles. It's a very nice are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 04:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
Thanks everyone for the guidance.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman75229 View Post
John, I have close relatives that just bought in an area called Aberdeen Falls in Jenks. It is between the river and 75 and south of the tollway. I don't remember seeing any one stories but the area was gated and very pretty. It reminded me somewhat of West Plano. Although to me it felt kind of remote but downtown Jenks is cute. Not like McKinney but still cute.

I would say Reasors is kind of like Market Street, nice but no Central Market. I like the Tulsa area, but it does have an insane amount of 2 lane roads.

Also, coming from Texas, I was amazed at the quality of finish out for the price.
Thanks for the recommendation on Aberdeen Falls. I see two listings in my price range there. I like the home ages and looks like a nice hilly area with beautiful exteriors on all homes. There is a lot of open space too in the pictures I see online. The price per sf of the homes is pretty widely varied however. I noticed from the map on Zillow that this one home backs up to 106th street and its not that far further back to the Creek Turnpike. Was noise an issue when you were in this area? its hard to gauge distance on a map so perhaps it merely looks close to these roads?

The fresh new look of one home is nice but honestly it has considerably less crown moldings and interior wood features compared to my home. Its more up to date by a wide margin though and it very attractive. I have moved this area to the top of my list to see. Keep any other neighborhoods in Jenks school coming as the inventory seems low as more of the areas mentioned have no homes for resale than do have.

I like the trees and hills and space it is very nice looking, it exceeds my expectations despite the great comments Ive heard over the years.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 06-20-2017 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 01:16 PM

I have heard suggestions that the area right around Southern Hills Golf Course is sketchy and has been for some time. Any truth to that? How far from it does the area turn up if in fact it is sketchy near there?

Old 06-20-2017, 07:01 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times
Pretty much (West side) the Lewis Ave side is scetchy, it starts getting kind of close to one of the most blighted areas in Tulsa, 61st to 51st and Peoria. It's really strange how that little stretch of Peoria Ave got so bad.

Anything north, east or south of Southern Hills is pretty nice. If I'm not mistaken, the wealthiest zip code on Oklahoma is just south of Southern Hills.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the all the feedback and suggestions. I like what I see of Tulsa from afar. Also the internet is a wonderful tool, I found school district boundary maps and learned the home on the market now of interest to us, sits on the boundary line between Jenks and Bixby School Districts. It is in Bixby District while the lot next door is in Jenks school district.

With maps street view, I can see the nature of the trees and elevation changes in this area. When I compare it to Aberdeen Falls area west of the river, I see fewer trees in that area than the East side of the River where this home sits? Does that match the on ground reality?

I also find the street naming grid system helpful, never seen anything like it where I have lived. Looks like many roads wind around and change directions and sometimes names but with the grid system you have a general idea of where you are relative to a new location even in an area new to you? This system required significant advanced planning to create, I wonder who drove this for Tulsa? Anyone seen anything like it?

Last edited by Johnhw2; 06-21-2017 at 05:29 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 07:56 AM

172 posts, read 559,278 times
John, i am traveling right now but over the weekend I will post a list of the homes we looked at while i was in town. They were all south stretching from Jenks to Bixby. My perception was a denser canopy east of the river over to about memorial.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman75229 View Post
John, i am traveling right now but over the weekend I will post a list of the homes we looked at while i was in town. They were all south stretching from Jenks to Bixby. My perception was a denser canopy east of the river over to about memorial.
Sounds great thank you so much. Safe travels

Old 06-21-2017, 11:09 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Thanks for the all the feedback and suggestions. I like what I see of Tulsa from afar. Also the internet is a wonderful tool, I found school district boundary maps and learned the home on the market now of interest to us, sits on the boundary line between Jenks and Bixby School Districts. It is in Bixby District while the lot next door is in Jenks school district.

With maps street view, I can see the nature of the trees and elevation changes in this area. When I compare it to Aberdeen Falls area west of the river, I see fewer trees in that area than the East side of the River where this home sits? Does that match the on ground reality?

I also find the street naming grid system helpful, never seen anything like it where I have lived. Looks like many roads wind around and change directions and sometimes names but with the grid system you have a general idea of where you are relative to a new location even in an area new to you? This system required significant advanced planning to create, I wonder who drove this for Tulsa? Anyone seen anything like it?

many of the sub-divisions west of the river are newer so the trees are younger. There's still a lot of trees, the west side naturally has no less trees than the east. The Tulsa area is a forest for the most part.

As for street naming. Tulsa does have a very logical street naming system that when combined with our street grid system that with just some basic understanding makes it very hard to get lost. I believe it was started in the 1920s. There are a number of cities with similar systems. Oklahoma City and Kansas City have similar systems as well.

Tulsa’s major arterial streets are spaced at one mile intervals with closer into downtown some half mile lesser arterial streets. The North/South dividing line is Admiral Blvd, which is largely gone today, taken by the Crosstown Expressway (I-244). East/West is divided by Main, which is not an arterial Street anywhere but downtown.

The south-east quadrant (which is by far most of the city) has numbered streets that run east-west and the arterial’s are spaced by 10 blocks that take up a mile. Each major arterial ends in the number “1”, so 11th, 21st, 31st, etc. On minor streets there is always a “Street, so say 32nd Street, and then shorter more minor streets are then in order Place and then Court.

Avenues in the south-east quadrant also have arterials that spaced by a mile and in the interior of the city they are named and are alpha sorted. There are 16 blocks to each mile. The minor street naming system is Ave, then Place, then Court. Just like streets. As you get several miles from downtown the alpha sort gives way to numbers again. So a major eastern Arterial is 129th East Ave. Then the next one is 16 blocks larger, 145th East Ave.

The naming convention for avenues is mostly cities. Avenues east of Main are named for cities east of Tulsa. Avenues west of Main are named for cities west of Tulsa. Avenues to the west run out of names and revert to numbers much earlier than east of Main. Major arterial avenues generally do NOT follow the city naming convention but they are part of the alpha sort.

North of Admiral for the first couple of miles streets are named instead of numeric. Also Alpha sorted. They quickly give way to numbers. Major arterials north of Admiral when numbers end in “6”, so 36th St North, 46th St North to make it easy to determine which part of the city a major street is located in.

The hardest part of Tulsa’s streets are downtown, because the street aren’t oriented east-west/north-south but are angled to the match the river. It causes issues with block numbering and street names when the streets turn and shift to the east-west orientation that you see in most of the city. And then west Tulsa where the grid is pretty carved up by large industrial complexes and the rail yard.

Many of the closer in suburbs change the minor street names but leave the names of the arterials. An major exception would be Broken Arrow, which as a city is now approaching half the population of Tulsa. In Broken Arrow at major intersections on the street signs you often will see the Broken Arrow name for the street with the Tulsa street name list in smaller text underneath.

Tulsa’s highway system starts with a box that surrounds most of the city. The Crosstown is the north leg of the box, the Creek Turnpike is the south leg. US-75 is the west leg and US-169 is the east. I-44 and OK-51 (The Broken Arrow Expressway) crisscross the box. Downtown has an expressway loop around it locally called the IDL (The Inner Dispersal Loop)

Old 06-21-2017, 12:51 PM

Thanks, never noticed it in OKC nor been to KC. It is a big help and had to have started way back as you indicated.

Are most parts of the metro similarly hilly as they are forest? When I looked at Aberdeen Falls are in satellite map it appeared to have little trees left when the land had been cleared for building. But in looking at some homes for sale there trees of a reasonable size do exist so it must be an anomaly in the date collection / production?

Last edited by Johnhw2; 06-21-2017 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa