Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 01:39 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,610,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I also have to say that I think it's weird that she asked an employee to be her baby's God Mother. Someone who HAS to get on with her and do what she says because that's what they're paid to do. Doesn't she have any real friends? So bizarre to me. Were they friends before, or has she always just been her assistant?
I think Julie is more than just an employee, although I believe when she started they didn't know each other. With Bethanny it seems like lines of business and personal relationships are not clearly defined. She lets people in, which I think is a good thing. But with Max he clearly took advantage. Julie is her assistant, but they also spend a lot of time together and therefore have gotten close. She trusts and depends on Julie and naturally Julie spends a lot of time with Brynn too. I don't think it's weird that Julie is Brynn's godmother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:43 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,671,582 times
A godparent has to be a practicing Catholic. Maybe Julie is the only one she knows, or knows well enough to trust in that role.

Clearly Bryn knows and loves Julie and Julie loves Bryn. Looks like a good match to me.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,084,989 times
Bethney should have stayed on RHNY. She seems less likable and just a freak of nature with too many issues for one person to handle. Making her assistant her child'r godmother is just wrong. She will end up having a fall out with her at some point. She should have chosen someone that she loves but sees less frequently and who doesn't work for her.

She talks about her mother all the time but doesn't want to see her. Since her father's passing she should have taken the time to mend the relationship with her living parent especially since she has issues with her. Instead of wasting the time and money on a therapist she should talk it out (at least to get it out).

Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,804,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Bethney should have stayed on RHNY. She seems less likable and just a freak of nature with too many issues for one person to handle. Making her assistant her child'r godmother is just wrong. She will end up having a fall out with her at some point. She should have chosen someone that she loves but sees less frequently and who doesn't work for her.

She talks about her mother all the time but doesn't want to see her. Since her father's passing she should have taken the time to mend the relationship with her living parent especially since she has issues with her. Instead of wasting the time and money on a therapist she should talk it out (at least to get it out).
Totally disagree. I think Bethenny is great. She is funny, confident and full of life. She is putting her heart on her sleeve.

Why in the world would you think she is going to have a falling out with her assistant? They seem like great friends and coworkers. I have several coworkers, employees, bosses etc that I am friends with.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,214,948 times
Quote:
I thought she said she wanted it to be 40 - 45 guests, but they all had to be 'her' friends?? Just seems so stunningly self indulgent to me.

I also have to say that I think it's weird that she asked an employee to be her baby's God Mother. Someone who HAS to get on with her and do what she says because that's what they're paid to do. Doesn't she have any real friends? So bizarre to me. Were they friends before, or has she always just been her assistant?
It's HER birthday party, I don't see why it is self indulgent to want to make sure all her friends can come, she didn't say only her friends could come, she just wanted to make sure that she would have room for all of her friends. I thought Jason expecting to have tons of his friends was self indulgent. I understand that they are a couple, but it is her birthday party, it should be mostly her friends, his party mostly his friends. If it were an anniversary or something for both of them it would be a equal mix. I don't like the way Jason seems to make her feel like she is weird just because she is more independent, and has some different ideas than him. She keeps apologizing and simply accepting that his way is the "right" way, and she must be crazy. Her way is valid too, Jason needs to respect that, and be willing to compromise, it's like the therapist said there is no "right" way to handle family and friends.

Julie is clearly more than an employee to her, and Bethenny trusts her and sees her with Brynn. When you own your own business, employees can become very special, especially ones that start with you, it's different than being a manager at some big company where you would never see an assistant outside work.

Last edited by detshen; 03-31-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,233,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
It's HER birthday party, I don't see why it is self indulgent to want to make sure all her friends can come. I thought Jason expecting to have tons of his friends was self indulgent. I understand that they are a couple, but it is her birthday party, it should be mostly her friends, his party mostly his friends. If it were an anniversary or something for both of them it would be a equal mix. I don't like the way Jason seems to make her feel like she is weird just because she is more independent, and has some different ideas than him. She keeps apologizing and simply accepting that his way is the "right" way, and she must be crazy. Her way is valid too, Jason needs to respect that, and be willing to compromise, it's like the therapist said there is no "right" way to handle family and friends.

Julie is clearly more than an employee to her, and Bethenny trusts her and sees her with Brynn. When you own your own business, employees can become very special, especially ones that start with you, it's different than being a manager at some big company where you would never see an assistant outside work.
Meh - he wanted 10 guests, she could still have 30 - 35 of her best buds so it's not like he was asking for an equal mix.

I still think that it's weird that she only had her own employee to ask to be Godmother. I understand that they are friends, but still.... it seems like a combo that could have problems in the long run to me.

I actually am finding Bethany far more likable this season than in anything I have seen before, but there are still issues with her that I just don't get. I do wish her and her family all the best though and am very impressed with how she acts around Bryn. So cute!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Meh - he wanted 10 guests, she could still have 30 - 35 of her best buds so it's not like he was asking for an equal mix.

I still think that it's weird that she only had her own employee to ask to be Godmother. I understand that they are friends, but still.... it seems like a combo that could have problems in the long run to me.

I actually am finding Bethany far more likable this season than in anything I have seen before, but there are still issues with her that I just don't get. I do wish her and her family all the best though and am very impressed with how she acts around Bryn. So cute!
It sounded to me like she just wanted to make sure she wouldn't have to knock any of her friends off the list so Jason could invite people. I don't think she was saying he couldn't invite anyone. There was a limit and if she had to knock her friends off for people she doesn't know well, feelings could be hurt.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,084,989 times
veuvegirl, we can agree to disagree. I get it, you love Bethney. But IMO, I wouldn't ask an Assistant to be the godparent of my child. In the Entertainment world and or the high pace world relationships are hard to come by and good employees are as well. They both have their lifespan. It seems very easy for her to get her feelings hurt and even easier to let relationships die (her current husband's family, Jill, ex-husband, her mother, other employees, etc).

Bethney is smart and I liked her very much on RHNY. Her wit came across in a good light on the show. With her own show I just see her always not happy and complaining. Doesn't seem like she is caring her heart on her sleeve, she just seems very co-dependent and unlikable. She seems like a person who is very sensitive with a lot of issues (if I were a guy watching her unravel I would run). This is not the Bethney I am use to seeing. Even preferred her on her own show when she was pregnant getting married. This season of her own just doesn't have me jumping up and down. I really feel sorry for her husband and his parents. She is bringing all her unresolved problems to them. Hopefully they will be patient and work through them with her.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,407,809 times
I think Jason has his heart in the right place but sometimes when a person comes from a close-knit family like that there can be an imbalance. Bethenny has no close family so they kind of rule the roost. If she had a mother and/or sister demanding visits, too, things wouldn't be so one-sided.

That can sometimes be an issue when someone comes from an unconventional background. The partner with the traditional family can sometimes feel that he or she is the "normal" one. I can see that happening with Jason sometimes. There is a bit of condescension that comes from him, but only in fleeting moments. I think Bethenny has done a good job of holding her own, though. Given half a chance I think that Jason would have her running ragged out to his parents constantly.

Since she is not from a traditional family unit and wears her heart on her sleeve he tends to give her the "cuckoo" label. I think its unfair at times.

I was also stunned that he thought Bethenny was being selfish because she wanted to keep her party small and invite her friends. It's her birthday, for crying out loud. I've had a few surprise parties thrown for me over the years and my partner has always only invited my friends. Unless they are mutual friends why would someone demand their friends to be there or even expect them to want to come? I find that to be very bizarre.

I've also thrown a few parties for partners and never invited my friends unless I was absolutely sure that the friend was their friend too and my partner wanted them to be there.

I'm having more and more reservations about Jason as time marches on, but it's a reality show so who knows what is real. Editing may play a huge part. But I think that Jason is so close to his parents that he has a difficult time separating from them. He was a bachelor for a very long time and I think he can be equally set in his ways. If he's never been married it kind of makes me wonder. As I said, I think he comes from a good place and truly loves Bethenny but he has to start looking beyond himself. I don't think it would hurt for him to be included in some of her therapy sessions or have them see a couple's counselor.

Regarding Julie, she is now so much more than an assistant. That's how people make friends. At some point all of our friends were strangers. Right now, Julie is the closest female to Bethenny, Jason and Brynn. And who would they pick that is a relative? I don't think they have anyone.

Further, picking godparents is always a crap shoot. You can pick a relative that you end up never talking to after a fallout. You can pick a friend that you've been close to since you were ten and then they move away and you never see them again.

I don't really understand all the animosity towards Bethenny. I think she's a wonderful, vibrant woman. She never thinks she's "all that" and keeps it very real. She also is very kind to the people around her. Sometimes people take advantage of her.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I think Jason has his heart in the right place but sometimes when a person comes from a close-knit family like that there can be an imbalance. Bethenny has no close family so they kind of rule the roost. If she had a mother and/or sister demanding visits, too, things wouldn't be so one-sided.

That can sometimes be an issue when someone comes from an unconventional background. The partner with the traditional family can sometimes feel that he or she is the "normal" one. I can see that happening with Jason sometimes. There is a bit of condescension that comes from him, but only in fleeting moments. I think Bethenny has done a good job of holding her own, though. Given half a chance I think that Jason would have her running ragged out to his parents constantly.

Since she is not from a traditional family unit and wears her heart on her sleeve he tends to give her the "cuckoo" label. I think its unfair at times.

I was also stunned that he thought Bethenny was being selfish because she wanted to keep her party small and invite her friends. It's her birthday, for crying out loud. I've had a few surprise parties thrown for me over the years and my partner has always only invited my friends. Unless they are mutual friends why would someone demand their friends to be there or even expect them to want to come? I find that to be very bizarre.

I've also thrown a few parties for partners and never invited my friends unless I was absolutely sure that the friend was their friend too and my partner wanted them to be there.

I'm having more and more reservations about Jason as time marches on, but it's a reality show so who knows what is real. Editing may play a huge part. But I think that Jason is so close to his parents that he has a difficult time separating from them. He was a bachelor for a very long time and I think he can be equally set in his ways. If he's never been married it kind of makes me wonder. As I said, I think he comes from a good place and truly loves Bethenny but he has to start looking beyond himself. I don't think it would hurt for him to be included in some of her therapy sessions or have them see a couple's counselor.

Regarding Julie, she is now so much more than an assistant. That's how people make friends. At some point all of our friends were strangers. Right now, Julie is the closest female to Bethenny, Jason and Brynn. And who would they pick that is a relative? I don't think they have anyone.

Further, picking godparents is always a crap shoot. You can pick a relative that you end up never talking to after a fallout. You can pick a friend that you've been close to since you were ten and then they move away and you never see them again.

I don't really understand all the animosity towards Bethenny. I think she's a wonderful, vibrant woman. She never thinks she's "all that" and keeps it very real. She also is very kind to the people around her. Sometimes people take advantage of her.
I agree 100% with all of this. I think you are right on about Jason trying some therapy with her. It's clear he loves and respects her, but no one is perfect, I think he has trouble seeing that her point of view can be valid despite her past family issues. There is no one correct way to be, it's not cool when he implies that she's "off" or doesn't understand how things are "supposed" to be simply because she feels differently about a family or friend issue, he needs to open up to the idea that she has some valid points, and he has to make some compromises too.

I don't understand the animosity either. Everyone has problems, what I see in Bethenny is someone who realizes this, and is working to become a better person. I think Jason and his family are fortunate to have her in their lives, they have problems too and might learn from her.

I realize I only see small snipets into their lives, but something I see from watching Jason is that in some ways Jason's parents seem to want Jason and Bryn to make up for the loss of their son, it doesn't work that way, they have to find other ways to cope. I say this as someone who comes from a family with loss, both my brothers passed away as young adults. My parents had to find ways to cope, some of this came from the family being there for them, but they also found outside interests, and friends to help fill the void and distract from the constant pain. I couldn't put all that pressure on myself that Jason does, and my parents wouldn't let me, they wanted me to have as normal and independent life as possible. I have always been there for them, but they didn't desperately need me to be, they created full lives for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV