Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 11:16 AM

11,664 posts, read 12,771,645 times

Advertisements

I see it's only available for purchase on DVD or on Acorn. How long before PBS picks it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 11:26 AM

22,958 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I see it's only available for purchase on DVD or on Acorn. How long before PBS picks it up?
I haven't heard. It aired in the UK back in September, so PBS will probably air it some time in the next few months --- if they still have the license to do so. Not sure if they do, now that ITV is trying to put so many of their shows exclusively on ACORN.

If you can't wait, check your local library. If it has even a semi-decent DVD collection, it might have series 9 by now. It's been out on DVD for a while.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:39 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,065,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I haven't heard. It aired in the UK back in September, so PBS will probably air it some time in the next few months --- if they still have the license to do so. Not sure if they do, now that ITV is trying to put so many of their shows exclusively on ACORN.

If you can't wait, check your local library. If it has even a semi-decent DVD collection, it might have series 9 by now. It's been out on DVD for a while.

Thanks SO much for this info! I had no idea that there was a Series 9 available, thought #8 was the final one. Just put in a request via our library system; I see that a few libraries have it available or checked out but others have it flagged as still "on order", i.e., not in their physical stock as yet.

I have Clunes' Islands of Australia and Wild Life in my video library, will have to check out Islands of America.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Thanks SO much for this info! I had no idea that there was a Series 9 available, thought #8 was the final one.
Series 9 may be the final one. ITV has not officially ordered another series.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:12 PM

8,082 posts, read 8,412,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Really??? Are you in the continental US? Doc Martin is not available to stream on Netflix where we're at in northern New England. It used to be, but now I think it's only available on ACORN.
The first eight seasons of Doc Martin are available through Hoopla, an app that is available for free to members of sponsoring public libraries. Just use your library card number to sign up to view Doc Martin and many other British TV series. You can borrow up to 15 items (movies or episodes) in a month.

https://www.hoopladigital.com/

Old 01-01-2020, 10:29 PM

My library doesn't give me access. We had another service like that, but they raised their rates and so the library dropped it.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:11 PM

8,082 posts, read 8,412,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
My library doesn't give me access. We had another service like that, but they raised their rates and so the library dropped it.
Where I live, both the Seattle Public Library and King County Library sponsor Hoopla and Kanopy. On the other hand, the Tacoma Public Library sponsors Hoopla and Kanopy, but the Pierce County Library does not.

It probably comes down to 1) the "mission" of the library and 2) the funding to meet that mission. If your local public library sponsors them, Hoopla and Kanopy are great resources. Try lobbying them to expand or fulfill their stated mission.

Note: Just working or going to school in a city can allow you to get a library card there.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 01-02-2020 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-02-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Where I live, both the Seattle Public Library and King County Library sponsor Hoopla and Kanopy. On the other hand, the Tacoma Public Library sponsors Hoopla and Kanopy, but the Pierce County Library does not.

It probably comes down to 1) the "mission" of the library and 2) the funding to meet that mission. If your local public library sponsors them, Hoopla and Kanopy are great resources. Try lobbying them to expand or fulfill their stated mission.

Note: Just working or going to school in a city can allow you to get a library card there.
Yeah, I already know that. NYPL made a big deal when they dropped Kanopy this past summer. There were petitions, as well as petitions for the smaller suburban library systems, but to no avail. Thanks anyway.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:28 PM

28,150 posts, read 30,097,469 times
For those who have Amazon Prime, Season 9 is available (on Acorn TV) through Amazon. Just finished watching Season 9. No spoilers or projections because I really don't know anything about what's in the works, but the final episode of Season 9 certainly looked to me like a series finale.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No spoilers or projections because I really don't know anything about what's in the works, but the final episode of Season 9 certainly looked to me like a series finale.
Yes. It serves as an ending, while still leaving room open for more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV