Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 03:58 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,500,543 times

Advertisements

Interesting point. When Norman read for Meryl the writers actually decided to create the role of Daryl for him instead.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:06 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,824,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
That would have been interesting to see, as it was obvious that Merle was the dominant one in that relationship. Without Merle, Daryl came into his own, and qs well respected. Daryl had a whole different human relationship with other people without Merle around, which is why he decided to leave Merle and go back to the prison. To see these two "work out" the new relationship would have been fantastic to observe.
I get that. But I feel like they did "work it out" in the episode I alluded to when they left together briefly and then came back. Merle wanted to re assume his role as the dominant older brother and Darryl was not having it saying it was his way and his rules now and that Merle would have to adopt his new family. There was no way Glen or Maggie or Michonne would ever accept Merle as part of the family so his fate was sealed. Merle's last ditch effort was to try to get back in with the Governor by bringing him Michonne but even he realized his heart wasn't in it, that the governor would probably kill him anyway and that he was hurting his brother again in the process. And of course Michonne helped by talking him through it

To try to put Merle back into the group would have robbed us of those great episodes which I think would have greatly weakened the drama and quality overall.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,835,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I get that. But I feel like they did "work it out" in the episode I alluded to when they left together briefly and then came back. Merle wanted to re assume his role as the dominant older brother and Darryl was not having it saying it was his way and his rules now and that Merle would have to adopt his new family. There was no way Glen or Maggie or Michonne would ever accept Merle as part of the family so his fate was sealed. Merle's last ditch effort was to try to get back in with the Governor by bringing him Michonne but even he realized his heart wasn't in it, that the governor would probably kill him anyway and that he was hurting his brother again in the process. And of course Michonne helped by talking him through it

To try to put Merle back into the group would have robbed us of those great episodes which I think would have greatly weakened the drama and quality overall.
Oh yeah... I totally agree, but for my personal preference, it ended too fast!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,593,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think it's both strange and humorous that a zombie-apocalypse show on basic cable has cracked the top-ten in Nielsen ratings for all television. I wonder what gives it such mass appeal that so many other (better) shows on cable have not?
Well, I love the show but I, too, am surprised at the widespread appeal this 'zombie' show has. I really thought only scary movie fanatics would find it even remotely interesting.

But it's actually like a weekly soap opera with some zombie action added in.

I love it. But, then again, I'm a freak.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:58 AM

I believe it is truly the dynamic that zombies bring to the table that elevates it above just another apocalypse style piece. Aliens, weather, nuclear holocaust they just aren't the same as fighting former people or watching a love one turn. That adds to the drama that the other scenarios just can't. At least that's why I prefer zombie movies and shows over other types of horror and although the mainstream types may not like the extreme gore I think that's why they like it too and why this show is so popular.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:03 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,835,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
although the mainstream types may not like the extreme gore I think that's why they like it too and why this show is so popular.
That's me. I'm not one for a lot of gore, but they do such a good job with it, I can't help but be mesmorised by it!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:21 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,283,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, I love the show but I, too, am surprised at the widespread appeal this 'zombie' show has. I really thought only scary movie fanatics would find it even remotely interesting.
The Walking Dead actually brought a large comic book fan base to the table but the Zombie genre is fueled by Preppers and survivalist. Survivalist fantasize even romanticize about fighting zombies. It's become so popular, arms manufactures has started producing firearms that market to this group including zombie engraved AR15 receivers, zombie targets, and Zombie specific ammo. Zombies has become so popular because of it, even Mainstream is joining to Zombie craze. If not for survivalist and gun owners though, Zombies would have fallen by the waste basket years ago.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,212,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
That's me. I'm not one for a lot of gore, but they do such a good job with it, I can't help but be mesmorised by it!
The gore does nothing for me, but if broadens the appeal, and helps keep the show going, I'm all for it. I do love the intensity of the fight scenes. It's a person vs a "former person," one on one, or one on many in some cases. The living person has to avoid getting bit, and try to get something to kill the brain(s), at times it boils down to kicking for dear life to avoid that zombie's mouth. The intensity is so personal, and the combat is up close, and in their faces.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:31 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,006,981 times
Spoiler
I still can't believe Hershel is dead. I'm still recovering from Merle's death although I think most of us saw that one coming. I didn't see Hershel's death coming. Killing him is like killing Santa Claus. Who will be the soul of the group now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Commercials Every 10 minutes...
Remember when people used to pay for cable precisely because it was commercial-free? Now, we're basically paying for commercial TV that once used to be free.

Turns out those anti-cable PSA's in the 70s were absolutely right.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The gore does nothing for me, but if broadens the appeal, and helps keep the show going, I'm all for it. I do love the intensity of the fight scenes. It's a person vs a "former person," one on one, or one on many in some cases. The living person has to avoid getting bit, and try to get something to kill the brain(s), at times it boils down to kicking for dear life to avoid that zombie's mouth. The intensity is so personal, and the combat is up close, and in their faces.
Yes. Exactly.

You just can't get that with an alien or a monster or a demon. Plus by leaving science fiction mostly out of it(beyond the zombies themselves which I know some people struggle with) I think makes it more accessible to a wider obvious. There's just a few rules to understand and off you go. No warp drive, no reversing the polarity on the neutron flow and no heavy religious or political implications. It is just straight up survival at its core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV