Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Judge Judy?
Yes 216 55.67%
No 111 28.61%
I think she is mean sometimes but I love the show 61 15.72%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:34 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,525,939 times

Advertisements

Both of them make me uncomfortable. Judge Judy and her outrages and Nancy Grace and her put downs. I know it is all mostly for show but give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 03:47 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,654,210 times
There are waaaay too many judge shows. Getting old.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,126,480 times
I've seen Judy a few times - not something I watch on a regular basis. I think she is histrionic because she has a TV show. What she does on TV wouldn't fly in an actual courtroom. But, I do think she just says out loud the things most of us are probably thinking when we see the clueless litigants on the show.

For example, I saw one episode a few days ago where a 21 year old girl rented a limo (party bus) for her 21st birthday so she and a bunch of friends could go bar hopping. SHE signed the contract, thus SHE was responsible for any damage, etc. to the bus.

While in the course of bar hopping, her partygoers got into a brawl with some other people at a bar and the limo driver was trying to get everybody back on the bus so they could leave. While all this ruckus was taking place, the bus was damaged.

The limo company took her to court - both the owner and the driver testified and presented photos (before and after) and damage repair estimates.

The defendant (the 21 year old girl) kept saying she didn't "feel" she was responsible, that she was drunk, etc. Judy repeatedly told her it didn't matter how she "felt". Finally, after the plaintiffs testified, Judy turned to the girl and told her "Ok, the ball's in your court. Tell me your story." The girl says to Judy "About what?" Judy tells her "What do you mean about what! You're a defendant in a case! Tell me your side of the story! You need to stop drinking - you can't aford to lose anymore cells!"

I think Judy just blurts out what everyone is already thinking. But like I said, it wouldn't fly in an actual non-entertainment courtroom because it could be the basis for reversible error.

In the next case (same episode) some lady paid a guy $300 to have her deceased dog stuffed (taxidermied). The guy didn't stuff the dog, but kept the $300. (Again, another contracts case). So the lady sues for the return of her $300 - but also sues for punitive damages!

Judy granted judgment for the plaintiff, then the lady says "Excuse me Judge, but what about my punitive damages?" Judy basically told her to get lost.

Maybe it's because I'm a lawyer, or not, but I thought everybody knew you don't get punitive damages in contract! I guess not.

Another thought - maybe Judy just gets tired of the same thing over and over and over and over and over again and she just lashes out in frustration. Whatever it is - it's entertaining and good for a laugh every once in a while. I couldn't watch it frequently because it would get really old after a while. But it's funny to watch every now and then.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,466,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post

Personally having watched a couple of episodes of her show, I have to wonder about people who would watch such crap. A bunch of losers arguing about the most mudane, uninteresting things. You call that entertainment????
Yes.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:37 AM

16,805 posts, read 40,074,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Yes.
Ditto.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,500,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I am fascinated by Judge Judy. She is a very "real" person and very common sense; however, I think she is sometimes mean and jumps to conclusions. One of my favorite sayings I got from her: "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining". Nonetheless, I am drawn to her show and can't wait to watch to see how she gets to the bottom of things and am amazed at how she can "read people".

What do you think about her?
My favorite Judge Judy is "Beauty fades, but dumb is forever" She got both of the quotes from her Dad.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 AM

16,955 posts, read 16,820,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I don't watch, she is too rude for me.

Even so, it works out well for the losing side though. If you read the fine print that rolls during the credits after the show, you'll see the program pays the winner of each case, not the loser.
She may be mean or rude but she knows the law. They did give her the BEST job for the last 40 years because she see's right through the crapola of people !

I voted Yes.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 AM

18,527 posts, read 31,794,596 times
We like her here because we are in Brooklyn as Judy was from here, so we "get it"...I agree a lot of it is probably for entertainment purposes with the comments, and she does say what we thing.
My favorite : Sir, your dumber than a bucket of rocks !!!! kills me everytime.

I just don't like when she makes any comment about a persons "looks", that is not nice and rather insulting, I don't believe in that......

Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 AM

223 posts, read 617,872 times
Love Judge Judy! But has anyone else noticed a "coldness" between her and Byrd the baliff? Something seemed to change about 3 years ago in their behavior with each other.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:24 PM

18,527 posts, read 31,794,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
Love Judge Judy! But has anyone else noticed a "coldness" between her and Byrd the baliff? Something seemed to change about 3 years ago in their behavior with each other.

no, never noticed that. Judy was the one who picked him to be the bailif, as they worked together for years in NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV