Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Judge Judy?
Yes 216 55.67%
No 111 28.61%
I think she is mean sometimes but I love the show 61 15.72%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:11 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times

Advertisements

To me, Judy is by far the most entertaining of any of the "judges" on TV these days.

She can be mean, but she's the best at being mean. And she usually seems to really get at the people that seem like they're bullies in real life. But sometimes, it feels like she was too mean to somebody who probably isn't a bully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I use to enjoy Judge Judy and even enjoyed her "straight talk" because then it appeared that she actually listened to the cases and her comments had some bearing on the facts. Not anymore. These past few years she appears to have already made up her mind before she hears the case and even when the facts turn out to be different then her already formed opinion she just disregards those facts and continues her unreasoned rants. I am stunned by how often her "judgements" have no basis in law and seem to be solely based on her own prejudices.
Well, I don't have much legal training, so I can't speak to that, but I do think the shows often have to be edited for tv and we miss some of the information. There are times in which I don't follow all of the evidence and then, she has more information than we do, so she knows something about whom she's dealing with that we are not privy to.

Then, it is like small claims court - for very little money - AND the judgments are paid by the production, so there are really no losers. I would imagine that a dead beat defendant, knowing he is wrong, would appear on the show because he loses no money out of his pocket, only his self respect and many do not appear to have a lot of that in the first place.

I have seen her ask a defendant if they were ever in trouble with the law again. I don't think, if they have, that she can bring that up, and I don't think anyone is obliged to answer that question, but if they do, then THEY are the ones who are introducing it. Also, doesn't she have the ability to reseach a person's past record before the show?

Am I right with this?

Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Lot of ppl don't like her but have you EVER watched Court TV or been in a real courtroom? BORING...

So Judy entertains and berates...SHE keeps the show interesting along with some of her "wonderful guests" lol....

The saddest case was the Ebay Scammer who sent people "pictures" of items.... not the REAL items and charged them "$200 for the picture of the item they would never see....

Old 09-26-2012, 06:50 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
for those that think she's made up her mind, or knows more than she's supposed to know - that is due to the pleadings that are filed on the case. She reads them prior to taking the bench. She has a good idea of which side makes sense, and has the evidence to prove their case. I imagine they show us only the most entertaining ones out of many.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:00 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Talking lol...

We have her programmed for 11am Mon-Fri and we everyday we have a 25 cent bet...is she going to be in a 'good mood' or a 'mean mood'...lol... we love her...'STAND UP!' 'GET YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS!'... we laugh all through the show.
Koale

Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Judge Judy RULES

Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
I adore Judge Judy. If she ran for president I would vote for her.

That said, she has really toned down in the recent seasons.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM

BTW, how she runs her courtroom on TV is NOT an act. She arbitrated proceedings the same way back when she was on the bench in Family Court...

Vintage Judith Sheindlin - Before Judge Judy! Part 1 - YouTube

Vintage Judith Sheindlin - Before Judge Judy! Part 2 - YouTube

Vintage Judith Sheindlin - Before Judge Judy! Part 3 - YouTube

Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 AM

Her husband, Jerry Sheindlin, arbitrated similarly on "The People's Court" as well (after retiring from the NY Supreme Court bench, he briefly presided over it before Judge Marilyn Milan took over).

PAT MUSI AND THE PEOPLE'S COURT REVISITED - YouTube

Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM

However, when they're off the bench I hear the Sheindlins are some of the sweetest and most down-to-earth people you'll ever meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV