Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,304,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by mochamajesty I guess it depends on your expectation?
I mean I have no problem when The Killing is more a 'criminal drama' series like The Wire, a show that depicts the lives of every part of the drug "food chain" in Baltimore, from junkies to dealers, and from cops to politics, than a simple murder mystery like NCIS.
My expectation was to find out who killed Rosie Larsen, period. Again, that was their tagline for the show. If there were no second season, we would have never found out for sure. The writers wanted to do something edgy, and they ended up with a mess, IMO. I am not going to debate with you why I feel that way.

The writers did not even know who the killer was at the beginning of the season, and I still think they have no idea. I watched this for 13 weeks and at the end have nothing to show for it. I could see if I were entertained along the way. If the show were well written with more than one compelling character and with comptetent detectives who actually did things that made sense, I would have at some satisfaction.

And The Killing and The Wire should never be used in the same sentence because there is NO comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,276,132 times
Originally Posted by mochamajesty
Quote:
And The Killing and The Wire should never be used in the same sentence because there is NO comparison.
That's just your opinion.
Like The Wire this series criticises modern society; in The Wire's case how Baltimore struggles with their drug problem while The Killing is more about how power corrupts than it is about solving a simple murder.
And like in The Wire things in The Killing aren't as black & white as most murder mysteries.
Which is fine by me because like I've posted before if The Killing was a just a normal murder mystery it would've lost my interest a long time ago.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:30 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,295,119 times
I'm just glad I only watched 3 or 4 eppies and then forgot about watching! I would not have been a happy camper.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,277,244 times
Well I like the show a lot. Many shows do cliff hanger shows for the last of the season so really for me I thought it was a great ending.
Now it was spoiled a bit by AMC's rather stupid ratcheting up the expectations of the last show - I have no idea why they did that but I guess it has pissed a lot of people off.
I think its best if you just try to forget about AMC's dumb marketing plan and think of having watched the last episode cold with no expectations.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,129,573 times
I just watched the final, and all the way through it I was saying the Congressman was innocent, but when the introduced the photo, I thought I guessed wrong. LOL

I did not see the last 5 minutes coming ,LOL, but I liked it.

I was actually wondering if next season they would do another city, different cops, I guess I got my answer.

What are the odds Holder killed the girl?

if he was just paid to plant evidence who paid him? the Mayor? Gwen? the sister?

Old 06-27-2011, 05:13 AM

8,419 posts, read 16,276,132 times
Originally Posted by aardvarks
Quote:
What are the odds Holder killed the girl?
I dunno, I'm not yet convinced that Holder is corrupt.
My theory is that Holder is still working as an undercover cop to infiltrate the mayor's waterfront project.
Or maybe Holder is trying to go after the hoop shooting millionaire ego tripper who'll do about anything to build a stadium named after him.

Anywayz, the best undercover cops are the ones where you can't tell whether they are good or bad.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 PM

8,827 posts, read 21,353,385 times
But, when will the new episodes be televised? Do we have to wait a whole year to find out who killed Rosie?

Are they filmed in Vancouver?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-02-2011, 06:25 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,277,244 times
This show was originally done in..Denmark. Then the Brits picked it up. So if the US remake is following those it should be possible to watch those or find out what happens by doing some research on those.

BBC - BBC Four Programmes - The Killing

THE KILLING: Comparing The Danish Show To The American Show | Badass Digest

I did find one answer on Yahoo Answers but they allude to the US series not following the danish one and I have never found anything but either extremely stupid or maybe just very young questions and (bad) answers on Yahoo so I'm not sure...but they said the in the Danish version it was
Spoiler
The Danish version of Belko
I did read somewhere that the Danish writers said they didn't know who it was till they wrote the end, again not sure how correct that is

Old 07-02-2011, 02:09 PM

274 posts, read 372,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
My expectation was to find out who killed Rosie Larsen, period. Again, that was their tagline for the show. If there were no second season, we would have never found out for sure. The writers wanted to do something edgy, and they ended up with a mess, IMO. I am not going to debate with you why I feel that way.

The writers did not even know who the killer was at the beginning of the season, and I still think they have no idea. I watched this for 13 weeks and at the end have nothing to show for it. I could see if I were entertained along the way. If the show were well written with more than one compelling character and with comptetent detectives who actually did things that made sense, I would have at some satisfaction.

I couldn't agree more. "Who Killed Rosie Larsen?" Wasn't that what we were supposed to find out? If the show creators wanted to make a mystery that didn't follow the typical formula, fine. But you can't just make a mess of a show for the sake of doing it differently. The fact that the Veena Sud took it as a compliment that people were annoyed at the season finale, and even compared it to how people reacted to series finale for The Sopranos, just points to how clueless she is.

I was ready to quit this show about 6 episodes in, but I figured I'd stick it out because maybe it's slow pace is building to something great....and maybe we'd find out who the killer is. Wrong on both!

"Who Killed Laura Palmer?" Twin Peaks was a show where you didn't find out right away who the killer was, but it didn't matter because the place and characters were fascinating, and we learned about Laura by learning about them. We don't know anything about Rosie, and I've realized that I kinda don't care.

I won't be wasting any time on this show next season.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,741,518 times
AMC is quickly becoming my favorite network. They have Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead. Awesome....just awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV