Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM

555 posts, read 1,078,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I received an email from them this am regarding the price increase - going to drop them as soon as the price increase kicks in...

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon earlier this year so the prime paid for itself. I'm not sure I'd buy it just for the streaming videos alone though...

Tried hulu , it was ok. Never heard of "crackle"
Crackle is free, Goolge it. I had never heard of it either, but it came installed on my Sony blu ray DVD player. Not a bad selection of stuff to watch for a free service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 06:55 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,895,708 times
I'm very upset by this. I won't be canceling my service but I'm jumping ship as soon as a better deal comes around. Netflix made a huge mistake!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,324,769 times
I'm not cancelling, but not happy either. If we got a signel on the tv without satalite ro cable (were very dead digital tvwise) I'd drop dish which is the most basic basic they have, but I need to see local weather coverage for my own peace of mind.

I primarily watch documentaries and many of the ones I search our are not streaming, and many are, so for now I'll probably go up five dollars a month. At least I get more for my money than with the satalite. Some months the free preview channels fill up the dvr, sometimes I don't watch much at all.

I haven't noticed any freezing with them, and have also had success with hulu, but they don't have as much of the stuff I like.

If they do all streaming then I'll go for the 7.99 and skip the mail. But I wouldn't call myself a happy camper by a long shot.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,728,649 times
It was funny because so many people told me netflix was so unbelievably awesome, just so incredible I had to have it.

I did the blockbuster online thing for a few years and mostly it was fine. I've been a blockbuster customer for 20 years, so I ditched them for the supposed incredible netflix.

Overall, it's OK but no big step up from blockbuster and in fact it seems the new releases at netflix are very weak compared to blockbuster.

I haven't even used it since April so I am probably wasting my money.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:55 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,350,424 times
Since my husband is the only one that has the streaming from Netflix,(it's in his office only) we are dropping that as of Sept.1. Keeping the one DVD out at a time for awhile. May switch to streaming later on, then of course drop the DVDs. Can't have both. As much as we are trying to cut costs, everyone else is always raising prices to prevent it.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,637,254 times
I don't care because I don't stream..plus it' beats cable anyday-I had 2 movie channels and I was paying over $30.00 a month and the same movies were always on...

Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 AM

393 posts, read 1,500,447 times
I'm not happy about this either. Since their full library isn't available on both dvd and streaming, you have to subscribe to both packages at $15.98 to get everything that I now have access to for $9.99. Six dollars is a big jump, especially when they aren't offering anything new. I wish everything was available in streaming, as I use that almost every day to watch old tv series and the occasional movie. I seem to average maybe 3 movies a month via dvd, so maybe I'll have to give up that package.

I've used Amazon Prime too, but I don't see paying extra for movies that are also available from Netflix, since I'm already paying for that, and I just like Netflix better. But it seems odd that they aren't offering a reduced price if you subscribe to both packages.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,369,315 times
It's not a massive price hike, so I don't understand why people are so upset. You still get a huge variety of movies and tv shows for much cheaper than cable.

We have Netflix and cable, Netflix streaming is great for movies and watching older shows or previous seasons of shows we've just started watching.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,711,724 times
They crushed the mom and pop stores including blockbuster and now can raise prices because there is no where else to rent other than redbox.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,814,088 times
In case folks missed this story a couple days ago, Netflix is having real issues with their studio contracts that are all expiring over the next year or two. Basically, no one thought it would be as big as it became and Netflix got deals that were sometimes 1/20th of the rate the cable providers pay. Now with 5+ million streaming users and DVD sales dropping, the studios want their money.

Netflix Faces Tough Decisions As Streaming Contracts Expire - The Moviefone Blog

Quote:
As Edward Jay Epstein points out in his editorial piece over at The Wrap, Netflix has increasingly become a thorn in the studios' sides. When the company started their streaming services, places like Starz sold them the rights to make the films viewable online for incredibly cheap prices, not realizing that it would catch on and impact their other revenue streams in dramatic ways. DVD and Blu-ray sales are down and one has to wonder why anyone would pay for premium cable TV channels -- which cost more per month than Netflix's streaming plan and don't offer much in the way of viewer control aside from a few On Demand selections -- when thousands of movies are available at the viewer's convenience. Hollywood now realizes they've made a huge mistake -- and the time of reckoning is at hand.

When Netflix made their streaming deals with the studios back in 2008-2009, they were all made for a three-year period. The first wave of those partnerships expires later this year, and it's safe to say that Netflix will not be getting a sweetheart deal this time around. Studios like Starz want "pricing parity" in a new contract, which means Netflix will be paying what the pay-TV networks are charged to air the same titles. To put it in perspective, Netflix got the Starz streaming deal for $30 million. Epstein explains this was 1/20th of what someone like HBO pays. When this math is factored into all of the Netflix studio deals, it means the company is looking at paying over half a billion dollars more per year for the right to stream movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV