Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,319,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRN View Post
Just want to remind you of an option for movies I almost forgot. Your local library-use it! I joined Netflix (trial offer & just streaming, not DVD) just before the price increase was announced and started looking for a couple of movies I wanted to find out they were available only on DVD! Couldn't get them at my local Redbox at the time either. I finally remembered my library has DVDs for borrowing and their free! In most cases you can go online and request it & it will be ready for pick up. If your local branch doesn't have it they will have it delivered to your branch from another branch within a couple of days and let you know when you can pick it up. You probably pay for your library with taxes but too few people actually use. Why go buy books, DVDs... when they are there free!
Movies are one thing, but my favorite place is the esoteric documentary and that isn't at the library. I am especially interested in the war documentaries that Netflix has, often streaming. I usually look at the book sales rather than taking a book home from the library. I have a list I read and am buying on Amazon since its the only place I can find some of them. Some of us just want to have that movie or book on hand.

I've also have great problems with library dvd's and cd's when I rented them since they were so badly scrached. I think a lot of people do not use the library since it cost if its a few days late and the lack of checking for them being playable. A few times settling down to see the movie and it can't be watched and you don't bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 03:15 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,079,120 times
The last two DVD's we got from Netflix were broken! Ugh!

We went from checking out free DVD's at our public library to paying for Netflix because the library DVD's were often dirty or broken... gunking up our DVD player. Well - now Netflix is sending us the same dirty and broken DVD's and we're paying for that service. Sheesh!

Last night my husband and I decided to buy a DVR, and instead of sending Netflix $20 a month we're going to send $20/month to our local public broadcasting network (OPB for us) instead! We're just going to Tivo our favorite shows (Antiques Roadshow, History Detectives, Oregon Art Beat, Masterpiece Theater, Oregon Field Guide, travel shows, cooking shows, etc.) that come on OPB and that'll be our viewing entertainment when we want to veg-out in front of the idiot box.

Problem solved!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,524,497 times
I picked the lowest offer from NetFlix of two DVD's for around $9.00 a month. I don't want streaming. I will keep the DVD subsription as long as it is available. They have old TV series and British shows I can't get anywhere else.

The library is a waste of time. They just don't have what I want to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV